spc
Search similar:

uniqs

HammerWaitin
@24.141.167.x

HammerWaitin

Anon

Rogers Coming to Hamilton?

My husband told me today there was a very brief news ticker on CP24 today (toronto) that stated Rogers bought a Hamilton Cable company. I know they bought Shaw a few years ago. I'm wondering what other company they bought? Anyone know Anything? (Fingers crossed they bought out Cogeco)

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor

Premium Member

Source Cable sold to Rogers in $160M deal

»www.thespec.com/news-sto ··· 0m-deal/

Hamilton's last independent cable provider, Source Cable, has been sold to Rogers Communications in a $160-million deal.

It was announced Thursday in Rogers' third-quarter results in which the company indicated it had purchased Source Cable Ltd. The company provides cable, Internet and phone services to about 26,000 homes with 43,000 units.

The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter.

Now Hamilton is served by Cogeco and Rogers, co-owners of Cable 14.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to HammerWaitin

to HammerWaitin
They did not acquire Cogeco, not sure why you'd want them to. They really botched the Shaw Hamilton integration.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Knew about Source awhile ago, Source employees knew a few weeks back.

I've been calling this for almost a year now, Rogers doesn't want a piece of Hamilton. They like the edges of their network touching the edges of their network. They're not big on "islands" so to speak.

Owning 37.5 % of Cogeco, then buying mountain cable.. then buying Source.. in that order over 5 years..

Cogeco is the last company separating them from Mississauga to kitchener.

Although nothing is confirmed, the writing is on the wall. Burlington, Oakville, and the Cogeco half of Hamilton is next.

Then you think in the North, Rogers ends around Gravenhurst. Which is Cogeco.

In the east Cogeco separates Ottawa from Durham Region and the acquired Compton Cable which is now Rogers...

Anyone putting the pieces together?

Like I said, I saw this coming. Mark my words, Cogeco is next. Followed by a massive Shaw/Rogers joint venture of merger to some capacity.

Rogers wants it all. A 10 year plan is falling in place.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

According to the CRTC Rogers owns 11.51% of Cogeco Inc and 5.62% of Cogeco Cable Inc.

I think that the DoI and the competition bureau will start to put the brakes on Rogers before long.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
No way, they should be forced to divest many of their "aquisitions" they are becoming a defacto monopoly in Cable (TV/Internet) services in Ontario.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

No way, they should be forced to divest many of their "aquisitions" they are becoming a defacto monopoly in Cable (TV/Internet) services in Ontario.

This wouldn't bother me if there was an real competition from other delivery media. FTTN is on it's last legs from a performance competitiveness perspective, FTTH isn't coming fast enough, and what FTTH is available isn't open to third parties courtesy of a CRTC decision to try to stimulate FTTH rollout.

If you want more than 50Mbps (or more than 25Mbps in most places given the range limits on 50/10 from Bell) your ONLY choice is cable and pretty soon that means your only choice is dealing with Rogers in some capacity (even if it's via a TPIA).
BayStBoi
join:2007-06-16
Toronto, ON

BayStBoi to sbrook

to sbrook
Rogers actually owns just a hair under 40% of the total equity in Cogeco Inc. But it's the subordinate voting stock. The 11.5% is just what their percentage of voting rights ends up being as the Audet family owns 98.2% of the the multiple vote stock.