spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JamesHutto
join:2004-05-09
Olar, SC

JamesHutto

d3 upgrade??

I saw a post that ABBJason made about all areas being upgraded from d2 to d3 in the past two years.

My area isn't showing anything beyond the 15/1.5 speeds. 29812 is where I am.
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

That market is still d2. I am not sure when an upgrade is coming to that area.
F34R
join:2007-10-29
Barnwell, SC

F34R

Any updates on this?
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

Sorry no. That area is still d2.
Tasogare5
join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

Hey, Jason, how about an update on the thread that matters right now. The one asking what's going on with Carmichaels now that it's been 2.5 weeks out of "a week to a month" for updated hardware.
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R to ABBJason

to ABBJason
I was asking if there is an update on when there will be an update?
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason

There is not. We don't have any further info.
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

Thanks for the reply. I'm guessing after the discounts they gave me expire, I'll cancel the service.
F34R

F34R

I just don't understand how New Ellenton, a third the size of Barnwell, can get 60 and 120Mb/s speeds, while Barnwell is stuck at 15 down 1.5 up.
Tasogare5
join:2008-10-04
Carmichaels, PA

Tasogare5

Your problem is expecting Atlantic Broadband to use logic. Like upgrading a node BEFORE signing on people that there's no room for.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason to F34R

to F34R
I'm not from South Carolina, but looking at a map it seems that the reason is just proximity to Aiken. Barnwell runs off a separate head end than Aiken.
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

So what does it take to get this place upgraded? Is it something that will eventually be done, or can I just stop expecting it to happen?
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason to JamesHutto

to JamesHutto
From the department of I will tell you things when I have something to tell you. The area in SC we service that is d2 only underwent a maintenance last night to expand to 8 downstream channels. There is no official announcement of D3 being offered (to employees or customers), there is no date, etc. but this type of thing is only done to upgrade an area to being able to provide d3 service.
EnerJi
join:2011-02-19
Pacific NW

EnerJi

Thanks for proactively sharing this information!

Now, any news on the rumored doubling of speeds in the Miami Beach area?
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R to ABBJason

to ABBJason
So, am I reading between the lines here... the expanding to 8 downstream is only done for areas that can provide d3? Is that how I'm reading it correctly?

Also, thanks for the reply.
redpenguin
join:2010-06-17
united state

redpenguin

said by F34R:

So, am I reading between the lines here... the expanding to 8 downstream is only done for areas that can provide d3? Is that how I'm reading it correctly?

Also, thanks for the reply.

Yes, ABB would not provide 8 downstream channels in an area without making it DOSCIS 3.

DOCSIS 2 modems are only capable of a single down and up stream channel, so normally ISPs would only put a single download channel unless they maybe setup a backup channel.
ABBJason
Altoona, PA

ABBJason to F34R

to F34R
Right. If your curious, a docsis channel can carry 38mbit. In real world due to signal loss etc. you would get something around 20-26ish out of a single channel. Docsis 2 modems can only use 1 downstream and 1 upstream channel. So to get speeds much above 20mb we need more than one channel. So basically when we expand to 8 channels we are preparing to service connections over 20mb. This is also why you have to upgrade the modem. Docsis 3 takes 8 separate connections and gives the modem the ability to use the as one. Sort of like how you take strands of wire to make a thicker cable than can support more weight than any given strand. Same idea. Docsis 2 modems can't do this.
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

I bought a docsis 3 modem a few months ago to replace the bad one we had from abb. Future proofing lol.

I'm getting all excited again lol. Thank you both for the replies and resurrecting my hope lol.
F34R

F34R

Ok, so I decided to go in and ask if there were any plans on our area being upgraded to DOCSIS 3. The nice lady at the counter said... wait for it.....

wait for it.......

TOMORROW!!!!!

We will be getting 120/10!!! I'm so excited lol.
redpenguin
united state

redpenguin

said by F34R:

Ok, so I decided to go in and ask if there were any plans on our area being upgraded to DOCSIS 3. The nice lady at the counter said... wait for it.....

wait for it.......

TOMORROW!!!!!

We will be getting 120/10!!! I'm so excited lol.

Woah! That's a nice upgrade for you.

Hopefully Johnstown/Altoona in PA will see some upgrades soon.....
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

Yeah. It's been a rough day lol. They apparently had a d2 modem active on my account so it wouldn't let the d3 speeds be provisioned.

Now, after about 3 hours worth of talking with the cs in the office, it's been sorted. However, I'm only getting 60/5 instead of 120/10. Not sure what to do from here. The tech guy on the line, earlier, said he was reading 150 down.
F34R

F34R to JamesHutto

to JamesHutto
I'm getting 110-120 down via ethernet and 90-100 via wifi. Upload speed is consistently 5-6Mb via wifi or ethernet.
redpenguin
united state

redpenguin

I like how you one minute go from a crappy DOSCIS 2 area to an area that now have faster Internet than my area at the moment.

Johnstown is supposed to get the upgrades but they are taking a while....
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

They've been telling me about the upgrade for over three years now lol. Finally really happy to get it.
EnerJi
join:2011-02-19
Pacific NW

EnerJi

Congrats! Would you mind sharing the various tiers / price points available in your area? I'm impatiently waiting for ABB to start channel bonding the upstream and offering some more reasonable upstream speeds.
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

Here ya go:

F34R

F34R

Also, I was given the promotional pricing of $39.99 for two years.
redpenguin
united state

redpenguin

said by F34R:

Also, I was given the promotional pricing of $39.99 for two years.

What in the...., man? LoL

I was on Express for like 2 years now and ABB told me I cannot get on the $39.99 deal because I am not a new customer.

You must have pulled some strings and some ropes....LoL
F34R
Barnwell, SC

F34R

nope. Just went in and asked to get the new speed. They switched it and said it came with the promo pricing.
redpenguin
united state

redpenguin

said by F34R:

nope. Just went in and asked to get the new speed. They switched it and said it came with the promo pricing.

It must be if you were not on the speed already.

In Johnstown both my buddy and myself were denied the $39.99 after having Express for around 2 years, but were offered $5 off monthly for a year.