All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bradmccall
@50.81.116.x

bradmccall

Anon

[Phone] home use phone - can I use an IP phone with my Mediacom service?

I have mediacom phone service and an Arris TM822g modem. Can I use an IP phone plugged into my ethernet network also.
One such as:
»www.grandstream.com/inde ··· /gxv3275
If so, where do I find the mediacom SIP settings and such to set up the phone?
Thanks

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

AFAIK Mediacom's phone system is proprietary and will not work with any 3rd-party VoIP system. Now you could use a 3rd-party VoIP provider with a phone such as the one you linked along with your Mediacom phone but it will use your regular Internet connection, not the dedicated Mediacom phone connection.

bradmccall
@50.81.116.x

bradmccall

Anon

That's what I was hoping to not be the case. Do you think the Mediacom phone system is better than say GrandStream?

Thanks

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero
join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN

RyanThaDude

Mediacom's phone is expensive compared to other VoIP services. We used it for a while and while it worked well, just like other services, when the Internet goes down, so does the phone, even though it's on its own system. I'm actually using MagicJack and I've only had issues with it once besides the constant Internet outages. $29.95/month for Mediacom vs. $19.95/yr for MagicJack. No brainer.

The Beer
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Premium Member
join:2001-07-24
Lincoln, NE

The Beer to bradmccall

Premium Member

to bradmccall
Mediacom's phone service will not work with that phone. It's based in the modem itself. Since Mediacom is technically a "real" phone company, what is called a CLEC they have responsibilities to keep that phone working like the battery backup for when the power fails.

Now you could use something like that Grandstream phone with a service such as Vitelity however you would not benifit from the QOS that is done to make sure the phone call is exactly as you would expect every time.

I have had the Ooma service for about 4 years now and rarely use it except yesterday I had to call Microsoft for a long call so I used it. I was downright SHOCKED when I had a 3 hour phone call with 0 problems.

bradmccall
@50.81.116.x

bradmccall

Anon

Thanks for the info and fast responses.

crhalf
@173.17.82.x

crhalf

Anon

I have basic talk, $9.95/month (just under 12 after fees) that offers unlimited everything, call id/waiting/etc. It's sold by walmart, but actually runs off Vonage and have had no issues with it all. Like the others said, the mediacom network on the other hand has to be working properly for any voip service to work which is asking a lot most of the time...lot's of latency and packet loss will kill your service regardless of who provides it

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to The Beer

Premium Member

to The Beer
said by The Beer:

Since Mediacom is technically a "real" phone company,

ah, details. the paperwork i signed when i had their service stated it was for entertainment only, i dont consider "real" phone entertainment. they all so do not provide backup service, they make it a point to tell you to keep a cell phone for power outages. one reason i dumped them for phone when my promo went out and that phone went to $50/mo and ported it to another line on my cell plan for a whopping $10/mo, hey, they insisted right?

(i love how they refused to continue the promo with ample notice of the switch out, but with in a month of the switch out offered to get me back for same promo i had. to little to late)

Obscura
@173.25.58.x

Obscura to bradmccall

Anon

to bradmccall
[AZ] Extremely poor consistency of speed

Attempting to use a competitor's voip phone service, we have encountered serious problems that Mediacom's technical folks are unable or unwilling to fix. Apparently there are no techs working for Mediacom who know anything more to do than plug in things and read numbers. When those numbers are off, they need to call in independent contractors to achieve anything resembling a satisfactory repair.

In our case, this miracle has not yet happened. This, after several weeks of reporting problems. Perhaps beating the rented mule has turned into kicking a dead horse. They have a monopoly in our area, and do not need to address quality of service issues with their isp. They certainly don't want to provide me with internet service that will help a competitor's voip phone system.

»/forum ··· AZ?r=600

anonme
@173.24.130.x

anonme

Anon

I use voipo with mc and never an issue.plus includes all sorts of call blocking options for about seven bucks a month tho have to pay yearly.if internet goes down (as it is mc) it forwards calls to a cell if you have one or another number at no charge .