All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Wartrace
join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace

AT&T wireless? Range and service questions.

I am currently using a Sprint reseller (Wireless n Wifi) and I love it. I plan on keeping this service HOWEVER I am getting into a home based business which 100% internet uptime during business hours is vital. For peace of mind I want a fallback provider. I am thinking about signing up for the 5gb plan for 50 dollars per month. I have an mbr-96 router and will set up the att connection as the fallback using the hotspots usb port and a usb to ethernet converter to hook up to the mbr.

There is a at&t 4g tower 4 miles from me but there are trees. I am wondering if the trees will be a problem in the summer. Any experience?

Is att any good? do they load up the bill with fees and taxes?

My only other options for this business is to either get a t1 line run or rent an office in a nearby town.
wirelessdog
join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

wirelessdog

No WISP in the area?
Wartrace
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace

Yes there is but they could not get a signal at my place.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Wartrace

MVM

to Wartrace
If 100% up-time is really vital, then put in a T1 and use your existing Sprint wireless as your backup.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to Wartrace

to Wartrace
Get service in the other town and install your own point-to-point link..if clear line of sight.
Wartrace
Wartrace, TN

Wartrace

No clear line of sight The nearest town with cable internet is 5 miles away. If I go the office route I can get access to fiber internet in a town that is about 10 miles away.
ophelus
join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

ophelus to Wartrace

to Wartrace
said by Wartrace:

do they load up the bill with fees and taxes?

Of course they do.. hmm it's possible to pay a lot less or skip the fees with resellers like cricket or straighttalk

And it was possible to pay a lot less.. if you didn't need LTE and HSPA+ it was possible up until a while ago to buy data like that for $12.50 for 2.5 Gb (I really don't know what the best deals are now but they will at hofo) I pay $8 for unlimited and 500 Mb myself right now

I would advise you to buy a cheap sim/plan and test it for yourself so you know.. most of the providers have a "trial" plan for you to use.. there supposed to COST nothing.. but that doesn't mean they do..

I would also advise to do your research on horwardforums.com they are biggest industry full of knowledge forum that I know off when it comes to "cellphone service providers"
said by Wartrace:

I have an mbr-96 router and will set up the att connection as the fallback using the hotspots usb port and a usb to ethernet converter to hook up to the mbr.

When it comes to fallback and "load balancing/round robin" stuff I only have experience with 2 pieces of software.. both were pretty excellent at what they did.. "pfsense" *nix and windows based "_________" and probably "usb" friendly

Also I have seen a GSM SIM modem to Ethernet thing that supports HSPA+ I think it sells about $30 or so on ebay.. that could be helpful or not.. because obviously you might want or can get LTE?
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to Wartrace

to Wartrace
We use ATT's via our phones hotspot with very little problems, so their standalone hotspot device should imo be fine.. In Dickson, TN ATT's service rocks even if your just on their regular 4g service (not LTE)..

Verizon here sucks for some reason pretty hard core