John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Leaking outdoor spigot

Ok, I've got a drip coming from this thing. It's not from around the stem, as it comes out through the attached garden hose. Basically, I want to know if there's anything I can try first short of unscrewing the whole thing and taking it to Lowes/HD and trying to match it up with a replacement.

I'm fairly handy and have done all sorts of minor repairs over the years. But am not even going to try and pretend to be a plumber (I'm an IT guy). so I figure I'll get advice/information first before I touch anything.

The ball valve visibile in the photos will turn off the water from the meter, as this is the point of entry into the house. The stub that's capped off is an abandoned connection to the irrigation system. They upgraded the line from the meter from 3/4" to 1" and split it underground to tie it into the irrigation system.

I'll just have to open the spigot to bleed off what's already inside the house before attempting to remove it.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

2 recommendations

robbin

Mod

Sounds like it needs a new washer but if it were mine I would replace it with a quarter turn ball valve.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Sounds like it needs a new washer but if it were mine I would replace it with a quarter turn ball valve.

Like this?

»www.homedepot.com/p/Home ··· 02369944

I am guessing what's there now is 3/4" so I'd need a 3/4" x 1/2" bushing, correct?

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

I believe what you have now is a boiler valve. You should be able to find one of those quarter turn in 3/4".

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by robbin:

I believe what you have now is a boiler valve. You should be able to find one of those quarter turn in 3/4".

Thanks for the help! I'll probably tinker with it in a few days after my on-call rotation is over.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to John97

Premium Member

to John97
Here's one that is 3/4" so you wouldn't have to use a bushing. It's also got a metal handle instead of the plastic one which will hold up better. At least here it's ship to store and not available in stock but should still be able to get it pretty quickly.
»www.homedepot.com/p/LEGE ··· c1vZca22

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by Msradell:

Here's one that is 3/4" so you wouldn't have to use a bushing. It's also got a metal handle instead of the plastic one which will hold up better. At least here it's ship to store and not available in stock but should still be able to get it pretty quickly.
»www.homedepot.com/p/LEGE ··· c1vZca22

Good deal. Maybe I'll just order that one.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

tschmidt to John97

MVM

to John97
If it is leaking from the hose you need to replace the washer in the house coupling.
»www.homedepot.com/p/DANC ··· 00544488

If you are feeling ambitious I agree with robbin See Profile replace the valve with a 1/4 turn boiler drain. 1/4turn ball valves are great, no flow restriction and much less likely to leak the other valves. Even if you replace the valve will still need to replace the hose washer since the leak is the hose and not the valve itself.

If you are not in a hurry or need more then one may want to order on line to save money.
»www.plumbingfittingsdire ··· 100.html

If you replace the valve will need to get some Teflon tape for the thread.

/tom

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

John97

Premium Member

I guess I should have explained a little better...

When I first noticed the drip last week, there was no hose attached. I looked at the thing and couldn't really tell where the drip was coming from, so I screwed a hose on to verify that it wasn't leaking from the stem.

It's not dripping from the hose swivel or anything like that. Everything is bone-dry, except the ground at other end of the garden hose.

I've got four exterior hose bibs in different locations, plus one just inside the garage. The one in question doesn't have a hose connected since there's no hanger or reel in that spot. Generally only gets used when I break out the pressure washer. I've got a 15' garden hose mounted on the pressure washer that gets connected up as needed.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to John97

to John97
I hate flames and soldering plumbing. Outside spigot not that bad, Just a fire extinguisher and many saved buckets of water,
Attic no room and leak in wrong place is nightmares.
Very good quality ball valve. Some lowes home depot is now garbage in plumbing. Do not even carry most normal stuff to service plumbing they sell or sold recently.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

2 recommendations

robbin

Mod

There is no reason to solder anything.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

harald to John97

to John97
small little detail before it becomes a nightmare. Be sure you use two wrenches. one on the fitting on the pipe so as not to torque the line into the house. Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but you said you are inexperienced in this.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

John97

Premium Member

said by harald:

small little detail before it becomes a nightmare. Be sure you use two wrenches. one on the fitting on the pipe so as not to torque the line into the house. Not meaning to insult your intelligence, but you said you are inexperienced in this.

Understood, and thanks. I do know that much, but was just being extra-cautious here due to the fact that this is at the service entrance for the house.

I've done some basic plumbing stuff (faucet installs/repairs) before. In fact, yesterday I replaced the leaking hot water stem for my faucet in the master bathroom. The new piece is 1/4-turn and the others are not. It's so much nicer that I'm ready to run back out and buy three more and do the cold on my sink and both on the wife's sink.

I ended up ordering the 1/4-turn 3/4" boiler drain, should be here before next weekend.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

2 edits

tp0d to John97

Premium Member

to John97
del
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

There is no reason to solder anything.

Depends on how first hooked up. But yes connections have changed from years ago as has the type of tubing. We have all copper, and when had plumbers in past do stuff they did solder even in walls. Maybe not know I guess as maybe things changed even for copper?
My outside spigot form 83 house was all soldered in. Spigot no parts available so had to fully replace plus upgrade to ball and valve. Plus main supply into house also. Underground then spigot then into house cold and water heater etc.

robbin
Mod
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin

Mod

The OP posted a pic. It's easy to see how it is hooked up. There is no reason to solder anything to replace the spigot.
nonymous (banned)
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

said by robbin:

The OP posted a pic. It's easy to see how it is hooked up. There is no reason to solder anything to replace the spigot.

Yes lucky guy.
I hate plumbing. Ok hate bad word. Lowes depot no love on fixing tub faucet but their bad info gave me hope. Ordered full part neither had supposedly and prime shipping.
Think HD may have shipping to store on the part but salesman said no have and never mentioned ship to store. Plus ship to home more than Amaozon. Ship to store way long.

John97
Premium Member
Spring Hill, FL

1 recommendation

John97

Premium Member

Just to bring it full-circle... New piece is installed, no leaks, and nothing else got broken in the process.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Excellent, and
said by John97:

nothing else got broken in the process

is what true victory in a plumbing job is all about!