Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Re: Jian Ghomeshi, host of Q, sacked by the CBC

said by DKS:

A study of sexual assault at MIT and whi it's not reported.

quote:
Of those who had experienced unwanted sexual contact, most said they had told a friend, but only 5 percent said they had reported it to any campus official. When asked why, more than half said that they did not think it was serious enough to report and that no harm was intended, and nearly half said they thought they were partly at fault.

Large numbers of undergraduates, male and female, also agreed with statements suggesting that blame for the assault did not always rest exclusively with the aggressor. Two-thirds agreed that “rape and sexual assault can happen unintentionally, especially if alcohol is involved”; one-third said it can happen “because men get carried away”; about one in five said it often happened because the victim was not clear enough about refusing; and a similar number said that a drunk victim was “at least somewhat responsible.”

Such views were less prevalent among graduate students, as was sexual assault itself.

Dr. Foubert said he considered many of those responses a form of “excusing the perpetrator and blaming the victim,” and was very concerned about it.

»www.nytimes.com/2014/10/ ··· 265&_r=0

once again, you are bringing up women in school...i already said i could understand young women and teens being confused or unsure how to handle it...that isn't (likely) the case here...we're talking about adult women...as well, your quote mentions "unwanted sexual contact"...that could be an ass grab or someone grabbing some boobs...sure, not cool, but certainly FAR different than punching someone in the face or choking them almost to the point of being unconscious.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

2 recommendations

NCRGuy

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by DKS:

quote:
Of those who had experienced unwanted sexual contact, most said they had told a friend, but only 5 percent said they had reported it to any campus official. When asked why, more than half said that they did not think it was serious enough to report and that no harm was intended, and nearly half said they thought they were partly at fault.

Large numbers of undergraduates, male and female, also agreed with statements suggesting that blame for the assault did not always rest exclusively with the aggressor. Two-thirds agreed that “rape and sexual assault can happen unintentionally, especially if alcohol is involved”; one-third said it can happen “because men get carried away”; about one in five said it often happened because the victim was not clear enough about refusing; and a similar number said that a drunk victim was “at least somewhat responsible.”

Such views were less prevalent among graduate students, as was sexual assault itself.

Dr. Foubert said he considered many of those responses a form of “excusing the perpetrator and blaming the victim,” and was very concerned about it.

once again, you are bringing up women in school...i already said i could understand young women and teens being confused or unsure how to handle it...that isn't (likely) the case here...we're talking about adult women...as well, your quote mentions "unwanted sexual contact"...that could be an ass grab or someone grabbing some boobs...sure, not cool, but certainly FAR different than punching someone in the face or choking them almost to the point of being unconscious.

Are you for real? You could be one of the biggest sexual harassment apologists I have ever seen.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

2 recommendations

Anav to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

You have to be kidding....... not cool? We are talking about sexual assault here. Its unacceptable regardless.
Expand your moderator at work
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

1 recommendation

resa1983 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

The real reason Jian Ghomeshi did the public facebook comment, and the lawsuit, from an employment lawyer.

»business.financialpost.c ··· uit-cbc/

Suffice to say.. It was all well planned, and designed to make sure no one comes forward.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by resa1983:

The real reason Jian Ghomeshi did the public facebook comment, and the lawsuit, from an employment lawyer.

Suffice to say.. It was all well planned, and designed to make sure no one comes forward.

Not only that, he can't be sued for what he said.
DKS

DKS to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by DKS:

quote:

The study was of adult women... of above average intelligence.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

There are more spins on this one than can be kept track of. This one by far is the most sinister and I dare say monster like!
Truly a Jekyll and Hyde tale. Sadly we may never get the truth.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to NCRGuy

Premium Member

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

Are you for real? You could be one of the biggest sexual harassment apologists I have ever seen.

give me a break...i'm not an apologist...i'm simply asking a question about why they won't report it...since when does wanting to know information about something equate to supporting a behaviour i ALREADY stated was unacceptable...i CLEARLY stated if the allegations are true, Jian should be in jail, not on the radio...go pick a fight with someone else, nothing i've asked about here warrants such a nonsense reply.
dirtyjeffer0

dirtyjeffer0 to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
said by Anav:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

You have to be kidding....... not cool? We are talking about sexual assault here. Its unacceptable regardless.

so basically, you are saying that a guy grabbing a girl's ass at a jam packed house party is the same as the same guy punching a girl in the face and/or choking them to almost losing consciousness??...i never said either was "fine" or "ok to do"...i simply said there are different degrees, and perhaps the students who didn't want to file a report because they "didn't feel it warranted it" were more about the ass grab than actually getting punched in the face...i can understand a girl not wanting to report some guy grabbing her ass...i can't understand a woman not reporting being punched in the face or being choked...all of which i have clearly stated.
jpaik
join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON

2 recommendations

jpaik to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Here's an interesting and thoughtful take on all of this.

"Why the attacks on Jian Ghomeshi are of no help to abused women."

»bit.ly/1tCpaVe

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Anav:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

so basically, you are saying that a guy grabbing a girl's ass at a jam packed house party is the same as the same guy punching a girl in the face and/or choking them to almost losing consciousness??...

Without consent, they are. One, however, is sexual assault and the other physical.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

Styvas

Premium Member

Here's an interesting discussion of the laws around sexual assault.

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· page=all
System

to Anon

Anon

to Anon

(topic move) Jian Ghomeshi, host of Q, sacked by the CBC

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 7 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Jian Ghomeshi, host of Q, sacked by the CBC

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

said by DKS:

Without consent, they are. One, however, is sexual assault and the other physical.

Exactly. Just imagine for the women if every guy felt the same way and was grabbing her buttocks. Its rather disgusting.
»www.edmontonpolice.ca/Co ··· ult.aspx
Expand your moderator at work
Anav

Anav to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot

WRT Jian, I am very sceptical at the moment.
Certainly creating doubt and confusion seems to be helping his cause......

As for the other stuff below, I particularly do not care one way or another if someone agrees or disagrees with my opinion. However I do care when someone seems to be disregarding the law (fact not opinion) and is disrespectful towards women. I was attempting to demonstrate/educate that sexual assault is a crime be it grabbing a womens buttocks or something worse.

[Deleted]

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Anav:

I was attempting to demonstrate/educate that sexual assault is a crime be it grabbing a womens buttocks or something worse.

no one said otherwise.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

sounds like a heated agreement then. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by Anav:

sounds like a heated agreement then. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

my point was simply that i understand why a woman wouldn't bother reporting an ass grab...i don't understand why a woman wouldn't report being punched in the face or choked to the point of being unconscious...i'm not saying grabbing an ass is fine, just that i understand why it would go unreported...the more serious stuff though??...i do not understand why anyone would let that go.

perhaps the police should subpoena the star for the witnesses and press criminal charges against Jian then?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by dirtyjeffer0:

perhaps the police should subpoena the star for the witnesses and press criminal charges against Jian then?

What is more likely is that with the latest CBC memo, victims will come forward and Ghomeshi will be toast.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

if what he is accused of doing is true, he should be.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
I just finished listening to As it Happens on CBC and they had a live interview with a woman who was assaulted by Jian Ghomeshi in 2004, the allegations are very serious and quite disturbing. The CBC also mentioned the woman being interviewed was not among those interviewed by the Star.

I'll say this, if the allegations being put forth by the Star are anything like those put forth by this woman Jian is done.

People should probably listen and make their own minds about this, but it was very disturbing. I was on the fence about this, but I'm not anymore.

EQ

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to urbanriot

to urbanriot
I think this gives alot more perspective on why trial by media on these things only makes the whole idea of advocacy even worse....

Its an interesting read from a private uninvolved interested third party...

Media does indeed cloud priviidge and the rule of law and these things should be private because all it does is create matryrs on both sides...

»yourworkinggirl.com/2014 ··· d-women/

As said if there is enough clout and reason then prove the allegations , then forefit 10.5 of the charter and charge him. Otherwise expect a settlement and a Rule 82 or 85 burying of everything. Though why hasn't he challenged his accusers directly? Deep pockets maybe or something else?

I still personally think the media is being used to force the police into investigating (with the traditional fears playing in) -- something that the recent article didn't suggest but is as much of a 'privilidge' play as Jian himself is using.

Plus why hasn't his court documents been seen publicly yet. At the end it is all PR leaving everyone to speculate on their own.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

NCRGuy

What do you mean his court documents haven't been seen publicly yet? They've been public since he filed them yesterday.

A case completely without merit, and meant as a strategic act to allow him to make allegations under the cover of privilege. At least until the court tosses it.

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

pulp46 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

What is more likely is that with the latest CBC memo, victims will come forward and Ghomeshi will be toast.

"We speak to a woman -- anonymously -- who claims she was hit by Jian Ghomeshi"

»www.cbc.ca/player/AudioM ··· 7457919/

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

This is exactly the interview I was listening in on.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
More to follow tomorrow morning and later on the National. Compelling interview certainly didnt seem rehearsed.
Hmmm, if the allegations are true, the cad needs to be behind bars and will be glad CBC punted him out the door and closer to a cell.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

1 recommendation

El Quintron to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
Breaking:

Jian Ghomeshi: 8 women accuse former CBC host of violence, sexual abuse or harassment

»www.thestar.com/news/gta ··· ent.html
said by The Star :
One of the women, popular Canadian television actor Lucy DeCoutere, has agreed to be identified. DeCoutere, who plays Lucy on Trailer Park Boys , recalls an incident in 2003 when she alleges Ghomeshi, without warning or consent, choked her to the point she could not breathe and then slapped her hard three times on the side of her head.

This is rapidly becoming a train wreck I can't stop watching.