Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to jobr

Premium Member

to jobr

Re: Jian Ghomeshi, host of Q, sacked by the CBC

said by jobr:

Of course, depending on your point of view, USA Today may or may not qualify as "media".

You are very perceptive to have realized that.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
Just adding a link that explains why a lot of people don't come forward. The slideshow at the bottom has tweets from people who have never reported.

»ca.news.yahoo.com/-beenr ··· 041.html

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

Styvas

Premium Member

Great link! I've been trying to put that idea into words as we've discussed this issue. Thanks.

Hardly as significant, but I wonder if the male equivalent (not a sexual example, obviously) would be "physical assault" that you decide isn't worth reporting. Maybe I'm in a bar and some guy thinks I'm "looking at his girl the wrong way" and gives me a shove and tells me to fuck off. Is it assault? Under the law, yup. Would I feel like a damn fool for calling the cops on him? Yup.

Maybe he pushes me up against a wall and holds me there for a minute while yelling at me. It's worse, but am I going to go through the pain in the ass and, frankly, humiliation of getting the cops involved. I mean, sure...they'll take a report, but likely nothing is going to come of it, and their attitude is likely to be that I'm wasting their time with this.

Finally, maybe he punches me in the face. I'm stunned and bruised, but I can handle it. Maybe I even decide that I'm going to call the cops just to see what they think I should do, but the guy was hanging out with the bouncer all night, I really DID wink at his girlfriend before I realized she was with him, and it seems like he's a regular there. Do I really want to go through with all the hassle when I can ice my face and go to another bar where I won't see him or his friends the next time? I'm probably going to let it go.

Now, if he dragged me outside and gave me the beating of my life, I'm way more likely to go to the police, but...

My friends tell me he's in a gang...
Another friend works at that bar...
I had told my girlfriend I was somewhere else that night...
I work in a professional environment that would judge me for getting in a bar fight...
etc., etc...

Sometimes, there are plenty of reasons not to take it further, even when logic would dictate that you ought to.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Click for full size
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette published a piece on Ghomeshi today, with absolutely no mention of his current issues.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Sounds like he is readying to use the excuse he is a product of his ethnicity and cultural upbringing...
quote:
But the Canadian host, a celebrity in his own right in Toronto, is also an immigrant — an experience he said has shaped him “in every way. There is no way to divorce one’s experience from one’s lineage, especially when you are a first-generation immigrant.”

And even more so when your heritage is Iranian.

The article on this punk is here...

»www.post-gazette.com/new ··· 10200001
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to milnoc

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette published a piece on Ghomeshi today, with absolutely no mention of his current issues.

How in the world can they do that? Wouldn't they do a bit of current research? Wow...
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

I was going to say, obviously it is a feature story written previously. That whole section of the paper may have even been printed in advance.

And in fact I see:

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Re-Publishes Ghomeshi Celeb Profile Written Before Allegations

A U.S. newspaper has a front page story about Jian Ghomeshi - and it has absolutely nothing to do with the ex-CBC host's growing scandal.

On Sunday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette ran Mark Roth's Oct. 19 story on Ghomeshi's life as an immigrant in Canada, featuring it on the front page of its Sunday Extra supplement....

....But it's real, according to Ashley Csanady of Canada.com, who was told by a Post-Gazette employee that it was re-published in Sunday's issue and that the paper is looking into the matter.

»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 082.html

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

To be fair, newspapers run all kinds of crap as filler, and always have. I can see that slipping through the cracks. "Hey, would somebody please Google this guy and make sure he hasn't been multiply accused of sexual assault in the last couple weeks, before we run it?"

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to analog andy

to analog andy
said by analog andy:

We can draw what ever personal conclusions we want but he's still innocent until proven guilty. With out that whats the point...

This is DSLReports, where even the most steadfast advocates of due process crumble under the pressure of the court of public opinion.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

The article on this punk is here...

»www.post-gazette.com/new ··· 10200001

The article now has a new preface.
quote:
Editor’s Note, Nov. 2, 2014: This story appeared in the Post-Gazette in print and online on Oct. 19, 2014. It also was delivered in print Nov. 2 in the Post-Gazette's Sunday Extra, a publication distributed as a promotion to non-subscribers. The Sunday Extra that was delivered Nov. 2 was prepared Oct. 22 and printed on Oct. 23, before the allegations against Jian Ghomeshi surfaced and he was fired from his broadcast position.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
His family traces back to Iran, although he was born in England.

Wonder what the take is over in Iran....

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

Doubt they've heard of him, or ever will. People (like me) in Canada didn't know who he was until this. A CBC radio "star" is not exactly a high profile.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

His family traces back to Iran, although he was born in England.

If I may be crass, probably,,, "What? He only beat them with his hands and some mild choking.... these Canadian Iranians are not real men"

»www.uri.edu/artsci/wms/h ··· iran.htm

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker to Styvas

Premium Member

to Styvas
said by Styvas:

Hardly as significant, but I wonder if the male equivalent (not a sexual example, obviously) would be "physical assault" that you decide isn't worth reporting.

The problem is I don't think there is an equivalent the way you bring it up. On that link there was a male talking about his father, and I think that's probably the closest you're going to get. In general men are physically stronger than women (I'd think almost certainly in abuse cases). Take whatever weight you are, add 50 lbs minimum and make the aggressor more muscular. Now make it someone you know a bit, a buddy, who pins you up against the side of your house one day and threatens to rape you just because he can. This is closer to what a woman on a date with a guy who slaps her, shoves her against a wall, then threatens her feels like.

Not that your comments don't show the same kind of ideas but I think it can be hard to imagine from a different angle. There is a good quote attributed to Margaret Atwood (one of these days I should read more of her stuff): "Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."

It covers a lot of the differences in two sentences. I've heard more than one woman talk about when they left, that they were terrified they would be killed.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by A Lurker:

The problem is I don't think there is an equivalent the way you bring it up. On that link there was a male talking about his father, and I think that's probably the closest you're going to get. In general men are physically stronger than women (I'd think almost certainly in abuse cases). Take whatever weight you are, add 50 lbs minimum and make the aggressor more muscular. Now make it someone you know a bit, a buddy, who pins you up against the side of your house one day and threatens to rape you just because he can. This is closer to what a woman on a date with a guy who slaps her, shoves her against a wall, then threatens her feels like.

That covers the physical angle pretty well, but that's not always the case. Workplace power, rather than physical, can be employed. In the case of Ghomeshi, his position, rather than physical strength appeared to be what was employed. He knew that his tiny amount of celebrity would protect him from some complaints. Strength? I think most women I know could kick his ass without breaking a sweat. They likely chose not to retaliate physically. Hell, the CF officer woman probably could have killed him with her bare hands.

So, suppose I was a young male intern at a CBC radio show, and one of the female stars decided to get rough with me on a date. For one thing, I would be also highly unlikely to hit her back. Most men have a strong moral and cultural aversion to hitting a woman (even back). And I likely wouldn't report it either. To do so would be possibly career damaging. Like these women, I'd probably avoid contact however I could.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Ian1:

He knew that his tiny amount of celebrity would protect him from some complaints.

While his celebrity was perhaps tiny on a national scale, AFAICT it was sizable in the particular sphere of Canadian broadcasting especially radio....

I assume that most of the women were in the same business?

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
Wellington N

A Lurker to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
said by Ian1:

Strength? I think most women I know could kick his ass without breaking a sweat. They likely chose not to retaliate physically. Hell, the CF officer woman probably could have killed him with her bare hands.

Sorry, I'd wandered away from the specific person here. Was just talking about assault in general. When you bring children into the mix you add power and love into it as well. When mommy or daddy is the abuser it becomes even more complicated.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
I was just going to say the PPG Sunday Extra is just canned filler stories that are mapped out long in advance and not really vetted for content. It's just fluff pieces for light Sunday reading, given away for free in hopes of driving weekly circulation increases.

They probably didn't even read the story before putter into the Sunday Extra funnel.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
So where's Gian?

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Word is he went to L.A. right after the Facebook post.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Did he leave the country to get ahead of the criminal charges?

Will he be seeking refugee status?
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Students were warned away from Q internships....

»www.thestar.com/news/gta ··· sor.html

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to DKS

to DKS
Who is Gian?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

The phonetic spelling of Jian.
I wonder if he took his teddy with him when he left?

neochu
join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON

neochu to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

Students were warned away from Q internships....

»www.thestar.com/news/gta ··· sor.html

quote:
The journalism program did stop sending interns to Q after one intern (a male student) was placed at the show in 2008, said Thomas Carmichael, dean of the faculty of information and media studies at the University of Western Ontario. But he said the reason was to do with the nature of the internship.

"We insist that our interns do entry-level journalism work, and the report on that internship indicated that the student was asked to run everyday errands not connected to journalism," he said in an email. "Consequently, we decided not to pursue further placements at Q."

Carmichael did not respond to followup questions about whether concerns about Ghomeshi's inappropriate behaviour toward female students played a role in stopping internships at Q.
Sounds to me that regardless of 'rep' their making it sound worse then it is. Once your interviewee declines to answer a direct relation reading in between the lines is a poor cause and effect argument. Its hidden though because of potential slander/libel as CBC may have other programs doing internships with UWO that could be effected (treat each "production" as independent).

Which came first, the lack of 'practical experience' or the complaint? Could be both, but seems more like more context being forced 'after the fact'.

(I'm not degrading anything on what is going on -- just pointing out agenda based publishing and poor editing)
said by Thane_Bitter:

The phonetic spelling of Jian.
I wonder if he took his teddy with him when he left?

Its probably closer to being a "prop" which more then likely will be replaced wherever he is (In any long-term stay refuge for the rich.)

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
As 95% of the posters in this thread have proved, sexual violence is both common and unreported. The myths and ignorance in this thread abound.
quote:
Lenore Lukasik, chair of the Ontario Coalition for Rape Crisis Centres, says sexual violence is more systemic than most Canadians believe and an issue that is widely misunderstood.

“We know that about one in three woman in her lifetime will experience some form of sexual violence," she said, also noting that one in six boys will experience child sexual abuse. "This is absolutely outrageous.”

Lukasik points to five myths in relation to sexual violence:

Sexual violence does not occur as much as we think.
People lie about sexual violence as a means of revenge or personal gain.
Sexual violence is perpetrated by strangers.
Sexual violence only happens to certain woman.
Alcohol is less dangerous than date rape drugs.

Many people have pre-conceived ideas about what perpetuates sexual violence and who the predators are. Lukasik says the reality is often surprising to most people.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/5 ··· .2822198
DKS

1 recommendation

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Click for full size
The Facts.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
and thats in a relatively non violent country which is supposed to have a just legal system and equal rights etc........ Scary thought.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

1 recommendation

IamGimli (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

As 95% of the posters in this thread have proved, sexual violence is both common and unreported. The myths and ignorance in this thread abound.

quote:
Lenore Lukasik, chair of the Ontario Coalition for Rape Crisis Centres, says sexual violence is more systemic than most Canadians believe and an issue that is widely misunderstood.

“We know that about one in three woman in her lifetime will experience some form of sexual violence," she said, also noting that one in six boys will experience child sexual abuse. "This is absolutely outrageous.”

Lukasik points to five myths in relation to sexual violence:

Sexual violence does not occur as much as we think.
People lie about sexual violence as a means of revenge or personal gain.
Sexual violence is perpetrated by strangers.
Sexual violence only happens to certain woman.
Alcohol is less dangerous than date rape drugs.

Many people have pre-conceived ideas about what perpetuates sexual violence and who the predators are. Lukasik says the reality is often surprising to most people.

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/5 ··· .2822198

...and that's precisely the type of over-the-top bullshit which makes EVERYONE tune out the Stuart Littles of the world.

The culture of victimization is alive and strong with the lobby groups.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

2 recommendations

DKS

said by IamGimli:

...and that's precisely the type of over-the-top bullshit which makes EVERYONE tune out the Stuart Littles of the world.

The culture of victimization is alive and strong with the lobby groups.

Sorry, those are facts, not bullshit. If you can provide evidence otherwise, please do so. What has been said has been quite well substantiated academically.