Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS

Re: Jian Ghomeshi, host of Q, sacked by the CBC

said by DKS:

If that or other incidents happened, CBC may be well within their rights and an employer.

Right. We just don't know the details yet (and may never if settled).

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Ian1:

said by DKS:

If that or other incidents happened, CBC may be well within their rights and an employer.

That is very true. And Ghomeshi may have already shot himself in the foot. I suspect that he will have difficulty finding further employment in Canadian broadcasting, at least.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
I'd still like to know why the show is called "Q".

-----

He sure looks young for his age!

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to DKS

to DKS
Reminds me of the old family guy scene.

Why do women have boobs?

So you have something to look at when you are talking to them.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I'd still like to know why the show is called "Q".

I'll be happy to show you how to internet:

1. Google "www.google.com" to bring up a search engine.

2. Type "wikipedia q radio cbc"

3. Click "Q (radio show) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

4. Scroll down and find:

"Q first aired on April 16, 2007, replacing Freestyle in the network's afternoon programming block. It moved to its current time slot, replacing Sounds Like Canada, in fall 2008.

The name was chosen by the staff of the show from a list they themselves had compiled. A test run of the show was made using the name Radar. Other possible names (some clearly tongue-in-cheek) included "State-of the-Arts in Canada", "Awesometown", "Afternoon Delight", "Smells like Canada", "Full Duplex Repeater", "Skybox Three" (the room in Toronto's Rogers Centre where much of the show was created), "Ghomer's Pile", or one even closer to Jian Ghomeshi, the show host of Iranian descent, "Royal Canadian Air Farsi". Names a little closer to the mark included Studio Q and The Cue. According to Ghomeshi, "a couple of the... suggestions came close", when the name 'Q' was brought up "there was a pause in the room and [the Q team] went 'yes, that's it.' It felt like the right name. It's an enigmatic letter [they] hope will become associated with the show.
"

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_ ··· io_show)

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
The CBC is playing with my tax dollars over this, and I'm pissed at what they did. They garanteed a huge payday for lawyers, using my tax dollars.

The CBC is not Disney. Unlike the employment laws in the US, the CBC doesn't get to break the labor relations act by firing Ghomeshi. The CBC doesn't have shareholders and is not a private corporation with a reputation and a brand that needs protecting to maintain shareholder value.

The CBC should have just let this play out, to see what or who crawls out of the woodwork, to let Ghomeshi handle it off (and even on) air, and either the story blows itself out or it gets too hot for Ghomeshi to be a public figure on radio and he takes a sabatical. But this, this firing - this is CBC shooting itself in the foot, and nobody but the lawyers will win, and be paid with our tax dollars from an already meager and dwindling CBC budget.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Wow, that's quite the story...

Guess what link doesn't work any more and what public story has been removed?

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

1 recommendation

Ian1 to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

But this, this firing - this is CBC shooting itself in the foot, and nobody but the lawyers will win, and be paid with our tax dollars from an already meager and dwindling CBC budget.

You're making the rather large assumption that the CBC didn't have damned good reasons to let him go. I think it highly unlikely that we have the details.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

The CBC is playing with my tax dollars over this, and I'm pissed at what they did. They garanteed a huge payday for lawyers, using my tax dollars.

The CBC is most likely using lawyers already part of their staff, and any settlement they'd have to pay will be covered by their insurance policy.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer1 to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
Thank you.

I'll have to look into this "Internet" thing.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

It's nothing more than a series of tubes.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

1 edit

sm5w2 to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
It's still the case that they contravened the Canadian Labor Relations Act by firing him without cause.

And you need to stop applying US-style thinking when it comes to equating the CBC with a private media corporation like a US network or studio that is responsible for maintaining shareholder value. Remember - CBC radio has no advertising. There are no sponsors.

And I can't see how any insurance company would insure the CBC against damages resulting when it acts in contravention to the Canadian labor relations act.

And you can bet that the CBC will be hiring outside lawyers from Bay street, because their own house lawyers have no experience prosecuting anything like this. When was the last time the CBC went to court over a situation like this?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

, according to the Star

You mean Toronto's new Tabloid?
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Ian1:

said by DKS:

That is very true. And Ghomeshi may have already shot himself in the foot. I suspect that he will have difficulty finding further employment in Canadian broadcasting, at least.

Thus the $50m he needs money for the rest of this life.

newtekusr
@135.23.149.x

newtekusr to urbanriot

Anon

to urbanriot
Brown gave some details about how the Ghomeshi story, which he says was the result of "months of investigation," came to be in a brief episode of "Canadaland" released early Monday morning. He stressed that he's unable to share many details about the story behind the story but did say that the allegations were originally brought to him. He later took them to the Star and its investigative reporter Kevin Donovan to gain the legal and editorial support of the paper.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

It's still the case that they contravened the Canadian Labor Relations Act by firing him without cause.

The ESA does not require an employer to give an employee a reason why his or her employment is being terminated.

»www.labour.gov.on.ca/eng ··· tion.php

In most cases, employers can fire employees for “just cause” – without notice, or without pay instead of notice (the next paragraph explains what “just cause” is).

Generally, employers can also fire employees without just cause. But in this case, the employer must give the employee notice of the dismissal, or pay instead of notice....

»www.cba.org/bc/public_me ··· 241.aspx

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

2 recommendations

DKS to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

The CBC is playing with my tax dollars over this, and I'm pissed at what they did.

Save us the self-righteous indignation. None of us have a stake in this celebrity farce. None of us govern CBC and none of us know all the facts. If you want your $70 back (the apparent average cost per taxpayer of the CBC) then write to Stephen Harper and ask for your refund. I'm sure the cheque will be in the mail tomorrow.
DKS

DKS to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by urbanriot:

Wow, that's quite the story...

Guess what link doesn't work any more and what public story has been removed?

Just worked for me...
DKS

DKS to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

Given that none of us know the details of his contract with CBC, that's an assumption which may not be correct.
DKS

DKS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Which is unlikely he will get.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by DKS:

said by elwoodblues:

Which is unlikely he will get.

of course not, but he'll settle for 10 , it's the same way I apporach wage negotiations, ask for the moon and eventually you'll get what you really wanted.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by sm5w2:

The ESA does not require an employer to give an employee a reason why his or her employment is being terminated.

»www.labour.gov.on.ca/eng ··· tion.php

In most cases, employers can fire employees for “just cause” – without notice, or without pay instead of notice (the next paragraph explains what “just cause” is).

Generally, employers can also fire employees without just cause. But in this case, the employer must give the employee notice of the dismissal, or pay instead of notice....

»www.cba.org/bc/public_me ··· 241.aspx

Very true. If he is in a yearly contract, there will be a termination clause of x amount of pay per month of unfulfilled contract or years or months served.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Just worked for me...

Weird, I previously received a Facebook error that advised me the link doesn't exist anymore and yet I checked again and it's now accessible. I wonder if there's traffic issues as there's 90,000+ likes already.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to urbanriot

to urbanriot
Jian is on the Gawker frontpage today.

Report: CBC Radio Host Jian Ghomeshi Attacked Three Women During Sex

Three women have come forward alleging that they were attacked by CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi, detailing physically and verbally abusive encounters with the popular radio personality to a Toronto Star reporter.

»gawker.com/report-cbc-ra ··· 51143311

Much like the pedophile Stephen Collins, I expect the career of Mr Ghomeshi is over. Who likes an alleged rapist hosting their radio shows? He would have better luck if he was a crack addict.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
> Save us the self-righteous indignation. None of us have a stake in
> this celebrity farce. None of us govern CBC and none of us know
> all the facts.

We all have a right to demand that public dollars are spent efficiently and wisely.

The CBC firing Ghomeshi without cause was not a wise financial decision.

We already have all the facts we need. There have been no criminal charges against him. Anything else that we don't yet know are not relevent to the employer-employee relationship between him and the CBC. And again I will say that the CBC is not Disney or NBC-Universal or any other private media corporation with brand value and shareholders. For the CBC to equate itself with the likes of those entities in terms of how it is reacting to Ghomeshi is absurd. Even moreso when you consider this is radio we're talking about.

Ian1
Premium Member
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by sm5w2:

Do you know something the rest of us don't? I may not be a CBC fan, but I am pretty sure they had a reason. Don't assume that you have all of the facts.

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

We already have all the facts we need.

No you don't, nor do you know that it was without cause. There's a good possibility they were doing their best to avoid the drama that's unfolding today, with women coming forward against Ghomeshi and popular media outlets disparaging his character.

Based on what we're reading this morning, the CBC may have made a very prudent decision in professionally distancing them from him and at a suitable time as there may be more backstory than we're aware of that encouraged them to cut ties last week.

None of us have all the facts, all we have are stories by various parties and the court of law would decide if there's merit in his $50,000,000 suit.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
> Much like the pedophile Stephen Collins, I expect the career of
> Mr Ghomeshi is over.

Except that it could have come at no cost to taxpayers if the CBC had just allowed the end of his career to play itself out in real time.

horsey
@208.103.232.x

horsey to Thane_Bitter

Anon

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

said by milnoc:

Apparently, the author isn't responding to her emails anymore.

Given her writing style that might be the best career move.
Some guys take on her "prose":
(youtube clip)

I can honestly say that I have never taken a girl to a rock concert and not touched her ass.

sm5w2
Premium Member
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to Ian1

Premium Member

to Ian1
> > The CBC firing Ghomeshi without cause was not a wise
> > financial decision.
>
> Do you know something the rest of us don't?

Apparently I know that the CBC has just set into motion a very expensive process that was under their full and total control to NOT DO, and they had no real reason to do so.

> I may not be a CBC fan, but I am pretty sure they had a
> reason. Don't assume that you have all of the facts.

This is all about perception, and maybe even internal CBC politics and personality conflicts. The CBC was under no obligation to SUSPEND Ghomeshi (let alone FIRE him) given there has been NO CRIMINAL COMPLAINT filed against him.

I am not a fan of Ghomeshi, nor am I trying to defend him. At this point, it doesn't matter what he really has done in private. The CBC has acted irresponsibly by firing him. Instead, they could have let him continue his Q radio shows, and (if the case may be) let him implode and fade-away in public.