Search similar:

uniqs
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

No POP3 access to Verizon email from the UK?

I have FiOS at home. I use Verizon-provided email accounts (something@verizon.net)

I have a Verizon Wireless iPhone which is set up to read and send mail from one of my Verizon.net subaccounts. This has worked fine for years, regardless of whether my phone is connected via the cell-phone network or WiFi, and it continues to work in the US.

The cell phone plan permits roaming in Europe, though I turn off data access through the cell network when out of the country (per-MB prices are through the roof). I then rely on WiFi access to read my Verizon email on the phone.

Until the last visit to the UK, this worked fine. I got full access (POP3/SMTP) via WiFi and the internet. But the last visit, I could not check my mail. Attempts to do so just timed out. This happened at numerous places, so it wasn't just some connectivity problem with one particular WiFi network.

Did Verizon implement some new geographical restrictions on access to mailboxes?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Been this way for a while I believe, then again I haven't used VZ for email in 14 years

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to dave

to dave
said by dave:

Did Verizon implement some new geographical restrictions on access to mailboxes?

Web email should always work as a last resort, I've used it all over the Globe and never had an issue when my POP3 or IMAP was not available...

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to dave

MVM

to dave
It's possible your wifi was restricted in some way related to login. Did you try multiple different access points?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 edit

dave

Premium Member

Yes, as noted in the original post. Different APs on different WiFi networks in different locations in different towns.

(Oh, and I didn't say this before, but the phone was at all times able to fetch email from my workplace Exchange server)
dave

dave to bohratom

Premium Member

to bohratom
I'm sure it would, though actual 'web' interfaces on a phone are generally horrible to use (does Verizon have a site designed for mobile use? I have never looked).

But that would be fairly cumbersome, given what I needed email for was 'just in case' I needed to be contacted. Glancing at the phone once a day is one thing, mucking with an email web site is quite another. I was on vacation!
dave

dave to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
Hmm. Is there any published policy on this?

Thanks!
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to bohratom

Premium Member

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

Web email should always work as a last resort, I've used it all over the Globe and never had an issue when my POP3 or IMAP was not available...

Well, actually, web email doesn't work on a phone anymore. The webpage redirects to a composite portal for messages, billing, and who knows what else in addition to email. When you click (touch) the email bar, you are redirected again to a page that informs you that you can only read your email if you download their FIOS app. I don't need another friggin' app. I just want to read my email. As with the OP, I already have a POP3 app that he found was being blocked.

Lt Belspur
join:2003-11-15
Sarasota, FL

Lt Belspur to dave

to dave
Your E-Mail might be Blacklisted. Just went through this over the weekend.

Check you IP address here: »www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

I started receiving calls advising that your E-Mail was being rejected.

And this a Business Account.

Did on online chat. But nothing can be done. Verizon policies.

I shifted all my accounts to my webhost provider's E-Mail service.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to dick white

Premium Member

to dick white
said by dick white:

said by bohratom:

Well, actually, web email doesn't work on a phone anymore. The webpage redirects to a composite portal for messages, billing, and who knows what else in addition to email. When you click (touch) the email bar, you are redirected again to a page that informs you that you can only read your email if you download their FIOS app. I don't need another friggin' app. I just want to read my email. As with the OP, I already have a POP3 app that he found was being blocked.

??? I just setup email on the phone with it's email client. I don't need a FiOS app to access email from FiOS. I set it up just like I do from a PC email client. I access my FiOS email from my phone and a few select email addresses from my domain names too. They are all setup the same way for access.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

He's saying that *web email* no longer works from a phone.

I'm saying that a *normal email client* works from the phone in the USA and does not work when the same phone is in the UK.

If you combine those two statements, you get (specifically for phone access):

1. In the USA you can use a normal email client or you can use the Verizon email app.

2. In the UK your only choice is the Verizon email app.

almahix
Allegro ma non troppo
join:1999-10-18
Camarillo, CA

almahix to dave

to dave
If all else fails, you can have Gmail fetch your Verizon email and display it. Gmail will allow you to send as well. I've been doing this for a long time.
Carnivore
join:2003-01-06

Carnivore to dave

to dave
I had the same issue on a recent trip to Norway so it's not just you. Everything returned to normal once I returned home.
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

+ 1 for the GMAIL. I use Gmail and outlook.com to do this very thing. easy set up
agoldhammer
join:2007-01-06
Bethesda, MD

agoldhammer to dave

to dave
this is a well know problem as my wife and I found out last month. We went to Montreal for the weekend and Verizon e-mail on both our Android phones did not function. I found out via the Verizon forums that this blockage affects anyone looking to access their email via WiFi. We both had data roaming turned off so I cannot say whether that would have worked or not.