spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jmarj
@65.78.78.x

jmarj

Anon

[Speed] RCN Internet Speed Bangor PA

I hate calling tech support, and I know there are some really good guy RCN techs who stop in here from time to time so I figured I would reach out.

I have been getting extremely poor performance from my connection lately. I pay for 25 mb down, and dont expect the full 25, but close to it would be nice. However, the last couple of weeks, I am not even getting close. Speedtest.net says 3mb down, and RCNs speed test says 2.75mb down. These numbers are consistent. I rely heavily on this connection for both work and home security, and it has been pretty much useless for both.

Any techs out there got any ideas?
Any one else in the area having similar issues?

Thanks in advance
TysonWild86
join:2005-10-03
Newark, NJ

TysonWild86

I called tech support to "complain" I was only getting 10-12mb down instead of the 15 I am paying for. The very nice woman I spoke to indicated that I was still within 75% of my 15mb down so there was little that could be done. This has nothing to do with your problem but to eliminate my modem as a problem I had to hook my laptop directly to it so she could do some tests. You may not like calling TS but I would recommend doing the test while directly connected to the modem and if your speeds still suck then call TS. If they are acceptable then maybe it is your router?

jmarj
@65.78.78.x

jmarj

Anon

Thanks for the input. It definitely wouldn’t be a bad idea to check the connection directly to the modem...if I am home to do so. I would be content if I was getting 75% of the bandwidth I pay for. I travel for work constantly, and shouldn’t have to do this every time I have a prolonged slowdown to prove to them it is not my LAN. (this is not normal with RCN, most of the time, its a solid connection) It could be my router, especially since I recently added a DDWRT repeater, but I doubt because it was working just fine before I left and has been fine for the last month.

I work with networking everyday and hate having to deal with people who tell me to power cycle and bypass my devices. Its been done and done. I can whip files across my lan like nothing, its the pipe in that is the problem. I am not saying am by any means a network pro, but I would assume RCNs speed test runs directly on the modem and if that says I am getting 2.75, then someone owes me a refund.
JmarJ2
join:2010-02-11
Wind Gap, PA

JmarJ2 to TysonWild86

to TysonWild86
hbkrules69
want to apologize. Re-read my last post, sounded a little like I was saying "no duh". Was not my intent. I really should check my connection directly at the modem. I just cant right now.
TysonWild86
join:2005-10-03
Newark, NJ

TysonWild86

No worries, did not think that at all. Good luck!!

danceboy
@65.88.88.x

danceboy to jmarj

Anon

to jmarj
get a docsis 3 modem if u don't already have one. I don't know why RCN milks old single channel docsis 2 modems frustrating customers. good luck man.