dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
randomzero
join:2010-03-25

randomzero

Teksavvy finally enforcing bandwidth caps?

I, along with my roommates have had Teksavvy for years (both when we lived separately and moved in together), had never subscribed to the unlimited service, and were never charged for overage. I know I've gone over my cap more times than I can count because I like to keep track of things like that, and I'm sure my roommates have gone over more than once. But we've never been billed for overage. I've heard many stories from many people stating the same, they use terabytes of bandwidth and still never get charged for it.

Until now. We recently got our bill and discovered quite a bit of overage charges. Has Teksavvy started to actually care, or is this just because we're on a "new" account (moved to a new place, had to get a "new" install)?
JeanPhilippe
join:2014-01-10

JeanPhilippe

Overages have been enforced for a few months now my man.
Aftcomet
join:2009-07-14
Mississauga, ON

Aftcomet to randomzero

to randomzero
Cable had a usage meter installed quite a while back.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to randomzero

Premium Member

to randomzero
Register on the TekSavvy MyAccount (»myaccount.teksavvy.com) portal to track your usage with Cable or DSL if you're in Ontario. Other provinces may vary and I have less experience with those.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to randomzero

to randomzero
TSI gave LOTS of notice before starting to charge. You'll also get emails to warn you if you're getting close to your limit - one at 50%, 75%, 90%, etc

There's a maximum to which overages can reach - $25 I believe - however it's often cheaper just to get the unlimited package if it's a consistent issue.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to randomzero

Premium Member

to randomzero
You can also enable Zap The Cap, if you can sacrifice some speeds during peak hours, and you won't be charged extra.
randomzero

randomzero

ZtC is useless for us because the heaviest users (myself and one of my roomates) work the night shift, so we're generally sleeping during the ZtC period. Now if ZtC provided unlimited bandwidth all the time, then it would probably be worth it, but as I understand it, it's only during peak hours that it offers it.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ

Premium Member

said by randomzero:

ZtC is useless for us because the heaviest users (myself and one of my roomates) work the night shift, so we're generally sleeping during the ZtC period. Now if ZtC provided unlimited bandwidth all the time, then it would probably be worth it, but as I understand it, it's only during peak hours that it offers it.

You're not understanding how ZtC works. To help with understanding of ZtC let's take a look at something.

The TekSavvy help page for ZtC states: "Zap The Cap allows you to voluntarily reduce your speed during peak hours (8pm – 12am) in exchange for unlimited usage."

But it should also tack onto the end of that sentence: "...for every single second of the month that Zap The Cap was enabled."

So the sentence would then read: "Zap The Cap allows you to voluntarily reduce your speed during peak hours (8pm – 12am) in exchange for unlimited usage for every single second of the month that Zap The Cap was enabled."

You are the best example to enable ZtC with zero disadvantages because you are sleeping during ZtC hours because those hours are the only hours that the speed is decreased.
randomzero

1 edit

randomzero

Ah, as we understood it, the unlimited usage was when ZtC was enabled, so between 8-12. I tried to find clarification on it, but all I ever found were posts stating the same thing.
Thanks for the info, definitely going to look into it for next month.

They should change the wording a bit, even the tech support guy didn't fully understand it.

"As long as Zap the Cap is ENABLED, usage is unlimited. Zap the Cap is only ACTIVE during 8pm to 12am."

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to RizzleQ

Premium Member

to RizzleQ
Hello RizzleQ See Profile,

Thanks for the suggestion, we've updated the page in order to clear up what you get with ZTC.
The new description goes as follows.

Zap The Cap allows you to voluntarily reduce your speed during peak hours (8pm to 12am) in exchange for unlimited usage 24 hours per day.

Thanks,
Martin

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to randomzero

Premium Member

to randomzero
Seems like Zap The Cap would be perfect in your situation.