spc
Search similar:

uniqs

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to aereolis

to aereolis

Re: [Cable] 24x8 / 32x8 modems? Where are thou?

Same for modems that don't have holes for wall-mounting... or do & sit at a weird angle if you do.... I don't like the cgn3 for the same reason... doesn't mean i probably won't buy it.

The vertical stand on CGN3 can be detached and attached on one side for wall mounting.
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis

said by toro:

Same for modems that don't have holes for wall-mounting... or do & sit at a weird angle if you do.... I don't like the cgn3 for the same reason... doesn't mean i probably won't buy it.

The vertical stand on CGN3 can be detached and attached on one side for wall mounting.

If you are talking about attaching it from the bottom of it, so it sticks out from the wall, and takes up lots of space, then yes. Otherwise, show me the mounting holes on the sides.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

The CGN3 user guide specifically says it should not be placed flat or wall mounted.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

Anyway, I've been wondering why I was so wrong about predicting a modem only unit for not that much money, but rocca posted this:
»Re: Is this the modem we are getting for the 150\15

Why is this all so mysterious?!?

Because Start, TSI and other ISPs have no idea how much the modems will actually cost them until they are done negotiating supply contracts. Until they know how much these will cost them, they cannot announce prices.

They may also have negotiations going with more than one manufacturer and have yet to decide which one(s) they will select.

You might want to keep your hopes for better pricing on "modem-only" devices in check since the hardware cost difference will likely be less than $30 for wholesale pricing and the "modem-only" devices will probably run the same firmware as the gateways except for disabling support for the missing hardware.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Sheesh.. You were under strict instructions not to misunderstand:
(edit: and don't misunderstand,
See! So get it right man.

Oh, wait, maybe you are curious what was supposed to be understood?! Well, I've got that too
there is lots of stuff that stays a mystery because it truly is. Like what day will the modem be on sale and the final price? Well, nobody knows, because they really actually don't know. But the model numbers and specifications!?)
Partly my fault though, I totally didn't mean "my prediction". I actually spoke to people in the supply chain. So, it was "my information" or "my previous statements" that have been wrong so far, nothing to do with predictions at all.
InvalidError

InvalidError

said by Teddy Boom:

But the model numbers and specifications!?

Selling the bear's skin before you killed it.

While IISPs may have selected the gateways or modems they wish to offer, they still need to have them approved by the cable companies. If their preferred devices get rejected, they are back to square-one.

They cannot announce models until they are approved by cablecos and supply contracts are signed with the manufacturers. Until then, things can still change overnight.
Madwand
join:2002-12-03
Toronto, ON

Madwand to Pir8pete

to Pir8pete
said by Pir8pete:

Also a perm $29.00 off the price that put it @ $58.99 + tax equaling a final total of $66.66 on going

I called myself today trying to get your deal. They advised me that the $29 discount is only for 3 months.

Actually if you look at your Rogers invoice, it even says Internet Discount ends January 30/15.
DeGhost
join:2010-11-18
Markham, ON

DeGhost to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Any news on new modems?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Nothing has changed as of yet.
tecsys3
join:2009-05-20
Scarborough, ON

tecsys3 to DeGhost

to DeGhost
said by DeGhost:

Any news on new modems?

Someone else just as impatient as me

It's really a shame the position that Teksavvy and other TPIAs are in. They essentially can't sell anymore 150mbps+ plans because they can't sell a modem that meets the requirements, without any firm date of when that will be corrected.

And I refuse to go back to Rogers. They screw me enough on wireless and cable TV.
GNONT42
join:2014-12-01
North York, ON

GNONT42

said by tecsys3:

said by DeGhost:

Any news on new modems?

And I refuse to go back to Rogers. They screw me enough on wireless and cable TV.

Agreed, I'm leaving Rogers next month. Between constant service interruptions on my internet/cable tv/ landline service, billing errors that also resulted in additional fees, wait times on the phone of over half hour or more, their website is dysfunctional more often than anything else, to their forum and FB communications that disallow negative publicity. Add in three times a year price increases and we've simply reach our limit with them. I'm giving the little guy some business and we'll see how they measure up, but I have a feeling TSI will be a relief compared to Rogers.
aereolis
Brampton, ON

aereolis to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Any updates? It's now a week into december.

AOD
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
M9B

AOD

Premium Member

said by aereolis:

Probably won't get any until the new year. Everyone is in Christmas mode and or their respective holiday.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to aereolis

Premium Member

to aereolis
said by aereolis:

Just keep an eye on the TekSavvy packages on the website, once you see the 150/15 back up then you know the modems are available.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to GNONT42

Premium Member

to GNONT42
said by GNONT42:

said by tecsys3:

said by DeGhost:

Any news on new modems?

Agreed, I'm leaving Rogers next month. Between constant service interruptions on my internet/cable tv/ landline service, billing errors that also resulted in additional fees, wait times on the phone of over half hour or more, their website is dysfunctional more often than anything else, to their forum and FB communications that disallow negative publicity. Add in three times a year price increases and we've simply reach our limit with them. I'm giving the little guy some business and we'll see how they measure up, but I have a feeling TSI will be a relief compared to Rogers.

If you change to Teksavvy cable, your service interruptions will likely be the same, since it uses all the same Rogers hardware, except for the modem.

If you can, switch to the FTTN VDSL up to 50meg if its available.

TNK
join:2011-03-22
HNVION17

TNK to tecsys3

to tecsys3
Why didn't you guys go after Hitron's 24x8 standalone modem? CDA-32372 was the model #.
aereolis
Brampton, ON

aereolis

said by TNK:

Why didn't you guys go after Hitron's 24x8 standalone modem? CDA-32372 was the model #.

I fear this might have been the best option as many firmware related bugs have been addressed already and we could hit the ground running. With the new modem there are bound to be a bunch of bugs with it that need to be addressed which may take 6-12 months before it becomes fairly reliable.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

I'm tempted to agree that the Hitron is the way to go, but there are a lot of business considerations..

Anybody distribute for Hitron? You can always go direct, but.. Hitron, not wanting to piss off Rogers, might make that fairly difficult. You need a minimum of 6 sample units under CRTC regs, but that is likely more like 30 samples to actually get anywhere. And you need Hitron's help with firmware. Hitron needs to be pretty interested in helping you out for this to happen.

Then, once you have an approved firmware, you have to make a minimum purchase that is at least 5,000 pieces, possibly 20,000. We're talking a ~$1million investment in inventory that will take most of a year to sell. Hell, maybe more than a year across ALL CNOC providers, if the retail price is high enough that customers still prefer the DCM476.

It does seem doable, but not easy.
arthurwinslo
join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to tecsys3

to tecsys3
The CDA-32372 isn't actively maintained by Hitron. To provide some sort of context, the last firmware build date for that modem is on 12/28/2012.

Hitron's focus (like any docsis modem manufacturer) is with gateway, gateway/mta and over the past year gateway/mta/stb devices. Think of it this way - cable providers are big on package bundles. So investing in hardware that will of be interest to a limited amount of users, the same users that are 'savvy' *no pun intended* enough to make better informed choices and control over their home networking environment do not reflect the majority of a given customer base.

While I'm more than sure that Hitron would support the 32372 if it had the right amount of dollars thrown at it, you could simply opt to purchase a CGN3 now and run it in switch mode instead.

And interestingly enough, CGN4 has already been rolled out.
aereolis
Brampton, ON

aereolis

said by arthurwinslo:

The CDA-32372 isn't actively maintained by Hitron. To provide some sort of context, the last firmware build date for that modem is on 12/28/2012.

Hitron's focus (like any docsis modem manufacturer) is with gateway, gateway/mta and over the past year gateway/mta/stb devices. Think of it this way - cable providers are big on package bundles. So investing in hardware that will of be interest to a limited amount of users, the same users that are 'savvy' *no pun intended* enough to make better informed choices and control over their home networking environment do not reflect the majority of a given customer base.

While I'm more than sure that Hitron would support the 32372 if it had the right amount of dollars thrown at it, you could simply opt to purchase a CGN3 now and run it in switch mode instead.

And interestingly enough, CGN4 has already been rolled out.

Wow... up to 32 ssid's on the cgn4... still 24x8x .. supports ac and shows it supports usb hard drives?! This one's looking to be the most feature packed (and current-gen) router provided from an isp yet.

TekOttawa
@108.162.140.x

TekOttawa

Anon

Can we expect an update this week? Kind of jonesin' for faster internet.

Also, does anyone know Teksavvy's pricing for 150/10, 250/10 (If they're going to be matching Rogers' speeds)?

Thanks in advance.
aereolis
Brampton, ON

aereolis

said by TekOttawa :

Can we expect an update this week? Kind of jonesin' for faster internet.

Also, does anyone know Teksavvy's pricing for 150/10, 250/10 (If they're going to be matching Rogers' speeds)?

Thanks in advance.

I think we'll get an update on the 25th of december.
DeGhost
join:2010-11-18
Markham, ON

DeGhost to tecsys3

to tecsys3
Currently on SB6120 ...Need new modem... for 60/10 so I can hit my 300 gig non rolling cap faster
Don't want to be obsolete in 4 months...
Any news? Thanks
aaronwcurtis
join:2012-12-18

aaronwcurtis to tecsys3

to tecsys3
Any updates? Been wanting to upgrade my package for a while but have been waiting for the new modems.

or even an ETA for an update would be nice.
InvalidError

InvalidError

An ETA for the next ETA update!

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Unfortunately there isn't one as of yet

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to InvalidError

Mod

to InvalidError
An ETA for the next request for an ETA for an ETA for an update

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

2 days

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

An ETA for the next request for an ETA

said by TSI Andre:

2 days

Dude.. You don't know who you are dealing with here Here, I'll try to help you out:

If anybody asks for an update before 6:30pm Saturday (Dec 20), Andre is going to make it his personally mission in life to delay any possible announcement--whenever that might be--for 1 week.

That'll show 'em

TSI Andre
Premium Member
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Lol!

On a serious note... We have been working to get proper updates but there seems to be huge delays. I've been poking every few days. Once I get something concrete, you'll all be the first to know