spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre

Re: [Cable] 24x8 / 32x8 modems? Where are thou?

Do you know if they are still on firmware revision 1.0.0.0?

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

pulp46 to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
I thought Docsis 3.1 was going to start this year. Guess not, eh?
aereolis
Brampton, ON

aereolis

said by pulp46:

The way certification has been going with tpia's (and their largest market - mostly mid-tier 30&60mbit plans, maybe 5-10% of their cx's are on the highest tier) we won't see a 3.1 modem for 2 years from now.

Rogers will probably release a 3.1 modem towards Christmas probably after the phasing out of the rest of their analog channels. Then a few other manufacturers will also release 3.1 modems a while later. Tek will probably request to see pre-release samples / see technical sheets around a year from now, and since quantities ordered will much much lower than companies such as rogers, it will take another 6-12 months to actually get our hands on them.

2 years. I'll quote this post Keep this in mind.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre to aereolis

Premium Member

to aereolis
No idea sorry.
arthurwinslo
join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
The DPC3848 is almost the same as the Hitron CGN3 and the Arris 1672G.

They all use the same Intel Puma6 processor as well as the same MxL267 24x8 tuner. The DPC3848 is using the AR9580 so for anyone out there with a Netgear WNDR4500 or a TP Link TL-WDR4900, this should be an idea of what to (hopefully)expect performance wise on the WIFI side of things.

By the way, A certain Hamilton based provider has been testing the DPC3848 since this past summer.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

said by arthurwinslo:

.... this should be an idea of what to (hopefully)expect performance wise on the WIFI side of things...

OFF:

»www.cisco.com/web/consum ··· 4-01.pdf
arthurwinslo
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo

@pulp46: Yes, which is the same ability every ISP has for EVERY wifi capable modem.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Reading back threads, people were afraid they wouldn't have the option. Apart from old people and single ladies, I don't know anyone who rocks a modem/wifi combo.
arthurwinslo
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo

said by pulp46:

Reading back threads, people were afraid they wouldn't have the option. Apart from old people and single ladies, I don't know anyone who rocks a modem/wifi combo.

Several hundred thousand users in Ontario do.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

said by arthurwinslo:

Several hundred thousand users in Ontario do.

Yep, several hundred thousand single ladies and old people in this Province alone!

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to pulp46

Anon

to pulp46
said by pulp46:

Guaranteed that won't happen for TPIAs this year. At best Rogers might be doing some testing of 3.1 by the end of the year but that's about it. Very unlikely to see widespread roll out until next year.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

As v6movement said, I do believe I saw an estimate for 2016 for 3.1 deployment.. of course for Rogers only. The TPIA tariff process itself will take 6+ months and that's only the first step
aereolis
Brampton, ON

aereolis to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
What about the radio? The support docs show there are two models of it, one with N and one with AC.

I'll possibly be one of those using the wireless on it.
ommand
join:2013-07-19
canada

ommand to tecsys3

to tecsys3
Bump? :/

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

No update

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to TSI Andre

to TSI Andre
Duke Nukem must be heading up the 24x8 modem development team.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by MacGyver:

Duke Nukem must be heading up the 24x8 modem development team.

It's a little ridiculous how long this has taken...

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

It's a little ridiculous how long this has taken...

Start growing your beards boys - see if you can achieve a true lumberjack chin wagger by the time these unicorn modems arrive. In fact EVERYONE at TSI should be allowed to grow one with the stipulation that they can if they choose to, shave it off once the 24x modems arrive and start shipping to customers.

(I already have a head start lol)

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
LOL @ the Duke Nukem reference.

Unfortunately since TSI is peanuts compared to the larger cable co's, they're probably far down the list for new shipments.
pleco
join:2012-06-30

pleco to tecsys3

to tecsys3
I have been on a sb6120 for 4 years now, haven't had any issues with my Teksavvy cable for the first year, then all the sudden been have having on and off problems with intermittent disconnections related to t3 timeouts, after months the problem finally disappeared by itself. Now it seems like the problem has returned and been like this for the past few months. When I finally had enough of these intermittent disconnections and had the time to troubleshoot it I find out that the sb6120 is no longer supported. I want to replace the modem with a 8x4 dcm476; however, I don't want to spend 90$ on a new modem and only to find out Rogers phases it out shortly after and encountering the same annoying issues I'm facing now again... Should I replace my sb6120 with a 8x4 or wait for 24x8?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by pleco:

I have been on a sb6120 for 4 years now, haven't had any issues with my Teksavvy cable for the first year, then all the sudden been have having on and off problems with intermittent disconnections related to t3 timeouts, after months the problem finally disappeared by itself. Now it seems like the problem has returned and been like this for the past few months. When I finally had enough of these intermittent disconnections and had the time to troubleshoot it I find out that the sb6120 is no longer supported. I want to replace the modem with a 8x4 dcm476; however, I don't want to spend 90$ on a new modem and only to find out Rogers phases it out shortly after and encountering the same annoying issues I'm facing now again... Should I replace my sb6120 with a 8x4 or wait for 24x8?

the modem is still supported, you just can't order a new service with it (or change packages). if you're getting line issues just contact TSI and do the proper troubleshooting and they'll send off a ticket to Rogers.
pleco

pleco to tecsys3

to tecsys3
I'm hesitant in calling tech support due to past experiences. I have been working as a network administrator for many years and prefer not to waste my time going through the same old layman routine (ie. power cycling modem/router/switch, update/reinstalling network adapter drivers, changing all the cabling, etc.).

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by pleco:

I'm hesitant in calling tech support due to past experiences. I have been working as a network administrator for many years and prefer not to waste my time going through the same old layman routine (ie. power cycling modem/router/switch, update/reinstalling network adapter drivers, changing all the cabling, etc.).

ok, but you likely have signal issues with the T3 timeouts and another modem will have the same issues.

they won't have you reinstall any drivers. the modem's signal stats will provide most of the information needed to troubleshoot it. at most you'll be asked to connect directly to the modem and reboot it.
pleco

pleco to tecsys3

to tecsys3
True, there's a chance replacing the modem will not fix the issue. Another reason why I want to replace it is because I'm paying the price of a 30/5 plan and only being able to get 28/1 speeds even though my modem is more than capable of a 30Mbps connection.

I'll post my modem signal stats and logs in a new thread once I get home from work.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

they won't have you reinstall any drivers. the modem's signal stats will provide most of the information needed to troubleshoot it. at most you'll be asked to connect directly to the modem and reboot it.

have you seen the list of questions you have to fill out to open a ticket with Rogers? it's crazy long ( 119 lines ) and includes questions like 'did you try a different ethernet cable'

i know most of us will just say yes we tried, and i'm sure there are edge cases where maybe the ethernet cable IS the problem, but jumping through all those hoops to have Rogers close the ticket without reading any of that info - as they usually do - is really frustrating.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

when it's a signal issue and it's pretty obvious when it is then you can skip most of that stuff and tell them you did.

but look, at the end of the day if you have a signal issue you have to put in service ticket unless you can replace the cabling, ends or splitters in your home.
pleco

pleco to tecsys3

to tecsys3
Seems like my fear of the blame game came true, I went through TS support and they tell me Rogers refuses to send out a tech to check my line and TS wants me to go through the whole layman routine and blame my router.
rainor94
join:2009-03-05

rainor94

said by pleco:

Seems like my fear of the blame game came true, I went through TS support and they tell me Rogers refuses to send out a tech to check my line and TS wants me to go through the whole layman routine and blame my router.

Are your issues occurring when directly connected to the modem?