All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pleco
join:2012-06-30

pleco to tecsys3

to tecsys3

Re: [Cable] 24x8 / 32x8 modems? Where are thou?

This isn't a speed issue but an intermittent network drop problem and yes I clearly explained it to them I had the same problem connected directly to the modem and the modem was connected to the entry point of the house so there are no splitters and other objects they could possibly blame on my side.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Just thought I'd clarify that we can't open a ticket if we have no data to submit via their portal and almost all the time, if they see a router in the loop, they will reject the ticket. This is mostly why we ask for it to be removed.
pleco
join:2012-06-30

pleco to tecsys3

to tecsys3
Problem with that is I can't remove the router for a week to wait for them to check my line at their disposal... I have VOIP phone and other people in the house that requires internet access regardless of network drops. I have a feeling they will not agree with setting a date and time for me to remove the router while they decide to check the line remotely.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by pleco:

Problem with that is I can't remove the router for a week to wait for them to check my line at their disposal... I have VOIP phone and other people in the house that requires internet access regardless of network drops. I have a feeling they will not agree with setting a date and time for me to remove the router while they decide to check the line remotely.

you can probably fool them by cloning the MAC of your computer on your router's WAN and make sure the firewall is set to block everything.

i'm pretty sure Rogers or anyone has no way of telling if you have a router connected other than querying the MAC address and looking at router brands.
arthurwinslo
join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to tecsys3

to tecsys3
Rogers is not doing any testing on 32x8 modems, at all.

The only new modem in beta testing at this time is the Netgear C3700 which is another Intel Atom based 24x8 modem such as the Hitron CGN3 series.

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement

Anon

said by arthurwinslo:

The only new modem in beta testing at this time is the Netgear C3700 which is another Intel Atom based 24x8 modem such as the Hitron CGN3 series.

Actually the C3700 is using all Broadcom chipsets for the SoC, Ethernet, Wifi and DOCSIS.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to arthurwinslo

Premium Member

to arthurwinslo
said by arthurwinslo:

Rogers is not doing any testing on 32x8 modems, at all.

CGN3 is Intel Puma 6mg for DOCSIS. No idea what the CPU is but i'm guessing Broadcom based MIPS or ARM (like basically every other consumer router).

Also i'm pretty sure the C3700 is a lower end 8 channel unit, no?
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

C3700 is a lower end 8 channel unit aka N600 WiFi Cable Modem Router
read last page in pdf here »www.downloads.netgear.co ··· 3700.pdf

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to SimplePanda

Anon

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

CGN3 is Intel Puma 6mg for DOCSIS. No idea what the CPU is but i'm guessing Broadcom based MIPS or ARM (like basically every other consumer router).

The Puma chips used a MIPS CPU core up to Puma 5. With Puma 6 Intel has been using Atom x86 cores at least with some SKUs.

It is only 8 channel.
v6movement

v6movement

Anon

So the first DOCSIS 3.1 chipset announced, from Broadcom..

»www.broadcom.com/press/r ··· =s889754

not surprisingly in DOCSIS 3.0 mode it will support 32/8.

Supports 802.11ac Wave 2.
arthurwinslo
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to v6movement

to v6movement
v6movement : The Puma5 is actually an ARM6.

Also, thanks for pointing this out Had a long day, confused couple model numbers: The C3700-100NAS in testing is a Broadcom 3382, with 8x4 channel bonding. The Puma6 I meant to talk about originally belongs to the C6300 series.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to v6movement

Premium Member

to v6movement
said by v6movement :

said by SimplePanda:

The Puma chips used a MIPS CPU core up to Puma 5. With Puma 6 Intel has been using Atom x86 cores at least with some SKUs.

It is only 8 channel.

Is the CPU on-die?

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to arthurwinslo

Anon

to arthurwinslo
said by arthurwinslo:

v6movement : The Puma5 is actually an ARM6.

I don't have the diagram around anymore but I was looking at one that showed a MIPS core. I thought the diagram was for the Puma 5 but it might have been something older. I didn't question what I saw as Texas Instruments used a combination of MIPS or ARM cores depending on the SoC/processor. Either way the point being it was not x86 which is the case for most of these embedded devices.
arthurwinslo
Toronto, ON

arthurwinslo to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

Is the CPU on-die?

aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
Actually doing some research I found out that full band capture is a pretty good feature and with a firmware update could most likely allow hardware to support docsis 3.1. I did a search for "DPC3848 full band capture" and low and behold this pops up! This lowly 8x4 modem supports full-band capture... but haven't yet found anything in the support docs regarding the dpc3848 supporting full-band capture... 3.1 will be the future. Personally my next modem purchase I want to last me 5 years... and one that could potentially be upgraded to support 3.1 would put the icing on the cake

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf to SimplePanda

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

said by geokilla:

No Motorola modems?

afaik they don't exist anymore. Arris owns the cable modem line now and I don't think they have issued 24 channel versions; they have 16 channel models.

They just approved a SBG6400 but I'm not sure how many channels that has.

The SBG6400 is an 8x4 wireless N gateway modem. »arris.force.com/consumer ··· ta-Sheet

ipv6movement
@pppoe.ca

ipv6movement to SimplePanda

Anon

to SimplePanda
said by SimplePanda:

afaik they don't exist anymore. Arris owns the cable modem line now and I don't think they have issued 24 channel versions; they have 16 channel models.

They just approved a SBG6400 but I'm not sure how many channels that has.

That doesn't mean the brand will be going away. It won't. They would be complete idiots to eliminate such a well known brand name and the #1 brand for cable modems.

There are a couple of new devices. SBG6400, SBG6700-AC, SBG6782-AC. What really doesn't make sense if they have the SB6183 which is 16 channels and then they come out with the 6400 / 6700 and 6782 which are only 8 channels but the 6700 / 6782 have been updated to 802.11ac. What? I would have expected them to be 16 channels at a minimum so they are still relevant for cable providers other than their lowest tiers or even at all.

pulp46
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
canada

pulp46 to tecsys3

Premium Member

to tecsys3
So it's here, right? I'm so confused.

If 100/10 truly is here as TekSavvy's website states for my Postal Code, can we TURN OFF the crap wifi feature of the modem? Yes, I'm aware I'd have to pay for the modem.

hw
@ciena.com

hw

Anon

said by pulp46:

... can we TURN OFF the crap wifi feature of the modem?

Just set it to "bridge mode" and it disables routing and wi-fi. That's how I'm using my DPC3848 at home.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Thank you! It's possible, great, I'll ask for a walkthrough on how to do that. LOL

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 edit

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by pulp46:

Thank you! It's possible, great, I'll ask for a walkthrough on how to do that. LOL

On past Cisco devices there is a dropdown that says "Working mode". The choices are (at least) "Router Mode" or "Bridged Only". Select "Bridged Only". Click save. Reboot. Connect router. Done.

That said, the 3848 WiFi probably isn't much worse (signal wise) than most consumer routers in that nothing you can buy at Best Buy is that much more reliable than anything else you can buy at Best Buy. With the exception of obvious lemons the consumer router space is largely a game of inches and gimmicks.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

Thank you Panda. With regards to 3848 WiFi, I need Logs, bandwidth moderation, Parental Controls, times allowed etc.... something I'm sure just using the 3848 would be impossible to do. I love my:

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by pulp46:

Thank you Panda. With regards to 3848 WiFi, I need Logs, bandwidth moderation, Parental Controls, times allowed etc.... something I'm sure just using the 3848 would be impossible to do. I love my:

Yeah if you want all of that stuff maybe another brand is best for you. I honestly can't remember what's in a Cisco running in router mode as I've always just bridged them.

hw
@teksavvy.com

hw to pulp46

Anon

to pulp46
said by pulp46:

I'm using my DPC3848 in bridge mode with my RT-87U. I posted instructions earlier on how to set up a startup script to add rules to allow you to access the modem's stats page via 192.168.100.1. One thing I didn't mention in that post was that Spanning Tree Protocol needs to be enabled on the router, or it won't work.

pulp46
Premium Member
canada

pulp46

Premium Member

What? There isn't a simple Menu from modem interface page to enable Bridge Mode? I can't do Scripts! LOL

hw
@teksavvy.com

hw

Anon

With my Motorola SB6120 modem, I didn't have to do anything on the ASUS router to get to the stats page at 192.168.100.1. But with the DPC3848, the stats page is unreachable unless you jump through these annoying hoops and manually set things up on the router.

The other option to get to the stats page, as mentioned by another poster, is to temporarily hook the bridged modem directly to your computer's LAN port. You would need to set the IP address of your computer manually to 192.168.100., and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Set the address of the computer to what? Numbers got left out in your post I think.

hw
@teksavvy.com

hw

Anon

said by Mike Wolf:

Set the address of the computer to what? Numbers got left out in your post I think.

Weird. Anywho, set the IP address of your Ethernet port to one of 192.168.100.2 thru 192.168.100.254, just don't use .1 or .255.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Very good.