PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

[Excel] Email sheet as attachment

Hello,

I am trying to send an email with an excel sheet attached. I click on the email button in Excel and a new Outlook message is created and the xlsx file is attached.

I type whatever i want the message to say, and send it. However, when the email is received, the body of the message is empty.

Anyone seen that? Any ideas?

Thanks.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Two things: what's the mail client on the receiving end? what if you try creating the email with body text and then attaching the spreadsheet from there?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Where does the data that populates your sheet actually reside?

Did you save the sheet and it's data locally on the workstation you sent the email from?

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN to darcilicious

Premium Member

to darcilicious
Receiving end has outlook 2007/2010/2013

If you create a new email in outlook and attach the file, everything is fine.

Problem is only seen when you click on the Email button located in the quick access toolbar within Excel.
PToN

PToN to aguen

Premium Member

to aguen
The data is entered in the sheet, saved and attached to a new email by clicking the email button from within excel. It then shows a new message with the attached excel file.

I can type in the body and somehow all of it gets removed when i hit send.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to PToN

MVM

to PToN
One possibility. . . .

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· ies#tabs

If not. . . . a few questions that pop to mind . . . that may help pinpoint the cause. . . .

what format (ie. html richtext textonly) is the sender's email client?

Is the body text still contained within the original outgoing email? (copy should reside in the sender's sent folder)

what format is the recipient email set for. If it is set for text only. . . is there any chance that they have a message.txt file also attached?

does viewing the message source on the recipient's end show any signs of the original body text?

Do you have access to the email server? If so. . .is the body still there when it hits the server?

Could this be some outlook "quirk" like the (always wonderful) winmail.dat crapola?

PToN
Premium Member
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Yeah, it is not that.

Text only disappears when using HTML or richtext. Formatting it to text only works fine.

The "Sent Items" folder shows the email and the text is not there. The email source is pretty much empty too. I have access to the email server and the email source there is empty as well. There is no .dat or msg.txt attached to the email.

It's supper weird. Thankfully it affects only one user. But need to find out before it spreads.

Thanks for your suggestions.