uniqs
mistrb01
Premium Member
join:2003-05-02
Upper Marlboro, MD

mistrb01

Premium Member

No DMZ setting in new G1100 router

Am I missing something. Under advanced settings, I see no way to add an ip address to a DMZ. Is it valid adding the device to Static NAT?
VirtualLarry
Premium Member
join:2003-08-01

VirtualLarry

Premium Member

IIRC, I had to use DMZ to chain a secondary router to my ActionTec rev. F.

I would have used "Static NAT", but the router was asking for a static public IP to be entered.

My Verizon Westell 327W DSL modem / router had Static NAT, but it allowed you to just enter the destination LAN IP, with a source IP implied to be your modem's public IP.

That's kind of disturbing about the new QIG, I wonder if you can daisy-chain a secondary router off of it, or if VZ wants to prevent that, so that they can sniff your internal network.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Lack of DMZ makes no sense. It may be hidden, similarly to UPNP and IGMP proxy settings in Rev.I.
O1OOO1O
join:2005-12-23
Lewisville, TX

O1OOO1O

Wonder if the GUI page numbers on the G1100 are at all similar to the GUI pages on the Actiontecs?

»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· age=9017 -- that's the DMZ page on Actiontec // couldn't hurt to see if it works on the G1100.
mistrb01
Premium Member
Upper Marlboro, MD

mistrb01

Premium Member

I ended up calling tech support last night. They told me that DMZ was not available at this time. There was no setting for IGMP either.

I ended up doing port forwarding?

Which is better port forwarding or port triggering?

Also, the menus are very similar to the Actiontec routers, except for the obvious omissions.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

That's rediculuous. Every modern router has a DMZ setting. I use it to put the IP address of my PS4 in there so I have no online issues.

Showstopper?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Show stopper for who? I haven't used DMZ in 14 years on any brand of router, basically your putting that device naked on the internet if its in a DMZ, very very bad idea
Expand your moderator at work
VirtualLarry
Premium Member
join:2003-08-01

VirtualLarry to mistrb01

Premium Member

to mistrb01

Re: No DMZ setting in new G1100 router

It is indeed a showstopper, for those of us that use both a verizon-supplied FIOS router, and a secondary router for our LAN, that verizon cannot get into.

I was even contemplating purchasing a Quantum Gateway Router for $150, but because of this issue, Verizon lost a sale.

I really hope that they don't take away the DMZ feature from existing ActionTec routers, that would really suck. I would have to re-consider even keeping my FIOS service.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

You can always port forward the full range with a single rule ( just use range 1-65536 for both UDP and TCP ), this isn't a big deal ...
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

said by guppy_fish:

You can always port forward the full range with a single rule ( just use range 1-65536 for both UDP and TCP ), this isn't a big deal ...

Would this cause any problems with the ports forwarding rules the Actiontec automatically sets up for the STBs?
Critsmcgee
join:2011-12-02

Critsmcgee

said by gadgetboyj:

said by guppy_fish:

Would this cause any problems with the ports forwarding rules the Actiontec automatically sets up for the STBs?

It sure would. Port forwarding wasn't intended to be used that way anyways. *Signed CCNP/CCIE Candidate*

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to frankpf3

Premium Member

to frankpf3
said by frankpf3:

That's rediculuous. Every modern router has a DMZ setting. I use it to put the IP address of my PS4 in there so I have no online issues.

Showstopper?

You shouldn't need to even do that. Using UPnP I have no issues getting an open NAT with two Xbox Ones, a 360, and a PS4. You should not need to put a gaming system on a DMZ. At least the routers I use don't have that issue. But my Dlink and Asus routers have always run circles around any routers that FiOS has ever provided.
mistrb01
Premium Member
Upper Marlboro, MD

mistrb01

Premium Member

I wish it were that simple. I only got the new router hoping that my gaming problems will go away with my PS3. I have no problems anywhere else, only in my home. AAARRRRGGGH!!!!