spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hd_harry
join:2007-11-16
Cerritos, CA

hd_harry

Why the Price Increase

My Basic DSL (Verizon service area) contract is up for renewal. I went to renew it online and saw that the monthly cost has gone up $5. Why the 25% increase? Inflation has been negligible for the last several years.

Harry
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

1 edit

andre2

I know Verizon has been raising the price of their DSL sharply within the last 2 years in order to get rid of DSL subscribers (or at least take advantage of them if they have nowhere else to go). I switched to DSLX early last year to avoid a $5/month increase, one year after a $2/month increase. I am now on the second year contract, and the price went up by $5/month, as expected after the first year. So far, there is no sign in my DSL bill of Verizon imposing their price increases on DSLX as well, but am worried it will happen eventually. Don't know if it has anything to do with your price increase.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Hi hd_harry, I checked into this and fairly recently (beginning of August) Verizon did introduce some changes in some areas, one of which was indeed a price increase of about $5 in affected areas. Existing lines were 'grandfathered in' for the remainder of their current contract, but at renewal time the price change does take effect, sorry. Fortunately, changes like this ARE very rare, at least for us (can't speak for users who are signed up with Verizon directly).
andre2
join:2005-08-24
Brookline, MA

andre2

Is Brookline, MA one of the affected areas, such that DSLX customers there can expect a price increase at renewal time? (BTW, you replied to me, not hd_harry.)

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm

ISP Employee

said by andre2:

Is Brookline, MA one of the affected areas, such that DSLX customers there can expect a price increase at renewal time? (BTW, you replied to me, not hd_harry.)

This is just on the lowest speed package in some of our service in the Verizon Los Angeles area. I don't believe off the top of my head that outside of that or if you are on one of the newer packages that you would see any difference on your renewal options.
hd_harry
join:2007-11-16
Cerritos, CA

hd_harry

Thanks for the feedback Nick and George.

Maybe Verizon will use the proceeds from the $5 monthly increase to upgrade their equipment so that the next time I have problems like I had this past summer it won't take them a month to resolve it.