uniqs

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
join:2006-05-22
Gloucester, ON

1 edit

GroovyPhoenx

Premium Member

[Praise] Dodge Dealership and Dodge in general.

I've owned two doge Caravan's (both used) and in the past they basically blew up before we gave them up for the ghost.

This new one was purchased used at a non Dodge dealership, (last time that happens!) when they told us it had NO waranty left and wanted to sell us an extended I turned them down since past experience for ME has shown them to be worthless and too much hassle to get honored etc.

Anyway my praise is for the dealership in Ottawa that showed some compassion after being fed a lot of BS about not having a warranty I called them as the power train was acting up, though the item itself was not covered I discovered INDEED I had an extended 5/100k waranty on this unit and it was valid until April 2015.

The problem? It had to have been transfered within 30 days of purchase.

After speaking with the dealership and explaining the situation however the dealer took pity and indeed did transfer the ownership of the warnaty over to us, even though they didn't HAVE to they showed good customer service by transferring it over. And a good thing they did too! My AC died and it was covered under warranty!

Glad I bought this van and thanks Dodge for being a good company.!

Edit: Fixed date.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

they know which side their bread is buttered on and where you're likely to buy your next car. did you touch a dart while there?
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to GroovyPhoenx

to GroovyPhoenx
said by GroovyPhoenx:

thanks Dodge for being a good company

I just wish they would stop the BS about being a US company, 'imported from Detroit' my ass. They are an import now, it's childish to keep trying to convince people that they aren't. When they talked about expanding into China after being acquired by Fiat, we jumped ship on Dodge/Jeep. The wife was just about to purchase a Wrangler but went with a Subaru after the news. I was planning on getting a Grand Cherokee. I went with Nissan and will be replacing it with either a Nissan Murano, an Outback or a 16 WRX if they bring back the hatch. I had owned a Dodge/Jeep/AMC from the time I was 14. It pained me to even look at other makes.

/rant off.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to GroovyPhoenx

MVM

to GroovyPhoenx
Gotta do the homework before shopping. One reason I do go to a dealership to look at used cars. I can ask them and verify via online information. Try to.buy used at the dealership.or private sale if you can.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

I just wish they would stop the BS about being a US company, 'imported from Detroit' my ass. They are an import now, it's childish to keep trying to convince people that they aren't. When they talked about expanding into China after being acquired by Fiat, we jumped ship on Dodge/Jeep. The wife was just about to purchase a Wrangler but went with a Subaru after the news. I was planning on getting a Grand Cherokee. I went with Nissan and will be replacing it with either a Nissan Murano, an Outback or a 16 WRX if they bring back the hatch.

??? But Nissan and Subaru are both based in Japan so I am not sure of what you accomplished by avoiding Dodge.

-----

Chrysler (Dodge) continues to have a major presence in the Detroit area even though now owned by Italy's Fiat.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

2 recommendations

mackey

Premium Member

The quality of products from Japan is MUCH, MUCH higher then the crap from China. American companies use China for 1 reason and 1 reason only: cheap.

/M

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
said by dvd536:

they know which side their bread is buttered on and where you're likely to buy your next car. did you touch a dart while there?

No didn't touch the dart, but 2 dodges that to me gave me good value, means most probably will be another dodge.

MooJohn
join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA

1 recommendation

MooJohn to H_T_R_N

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

When they talked about expanding into China after being acquired by Fiat, we jumped ship on Dodge/Jeep.

You do understand that "expanding into China" means they are going to sell vehicles there, right? Not move their manufacturing...

Subaru can keep their crappy CVT transmission-equipped vehicles (and my last new car was a Subaru Legacy GT Limited).

The Dart is an incredible car, and far beyond the stripper Civic you can get for the same price. The 200 is unbeatable in the under-$30k category: 290 hp, 9 spd auto, and fulltime AWD, and again with an interior that makes the others looks like cheap rentals. The Grand Cherokee Summit (something I'm helping shop for right now) puts the Lexus GX460 to shame in every category.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by MooJohn:

You do understand that "expanding into China" means they are going to sell vehicles there, right? Not move their manufacturing...

You do understand that my manufacturing the cars IN China it means those cars will NOT be manufactured in the USA. I dont get why people can't put 2 and 2 together. If they manufacture the cars here in the US and export that is American jobs. If they manufacture them in China that is NOT American jobs. So by doing so it is costing American jobs by expanding into China. Its really not that hard to understand.
H_T_R_N

H_T_R_N (banned) to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

??? But Nissan and Subaru are both based in Japan so I am not sure of what you accomplished by avoiding Dodge.

I try to avoid companies that blatantly lie right to your face. Dodge is NOT an American company any more, yet their tagline 'Imported from Detroit' is an attempt to hide the fact that they are an Italian company.

If a company is going to move production from America and lie about being an import company, I am not going to pay them more for the same or less quality so that I can say I bought American. I'll spend my money where I get the best return for me right now. If the big companies don't give a fuck, there is little I can do.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
How many US built cars are currently sold in China? Very few, I would bet.

By contrast, if Chrysler builds cars in China, then sells those cars in China, then that is not costing any American jobs. It's new business.

But it is helping Chrysler to maintain their brand against the car makers based in China, Japan, Korea.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to MooJohn

to MooJohn
said by MooJohn:

The Dart is an incredible car, and far beyond the stripper Civic you can get for the same price. The 200 is unbeatable in the under-$30k category: 290 hp, 9 spd auto, and fulltime AWD, and again with an interior that makes the others looks like cheap rentals. The Grand Cherokee Summit (something I'm helping shop for right now) puts the Lexus GX460 to shame in every category.

I get it you're a dodge/jeep fan. So was I, and a lifetime of support for a company is not easy to give up.
H_T_R_N

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

By contrast, if Chrysler builds cars in China, then sells those cars in China, then that is not costing any American jobs. It's new business.

Only IF you ignore the fact that if they were made here and exported, it would create American Jobs. Exactly how long do you think it will be before Fiat has, because of market pressures, moves some of the existing American production to the underutilised, and MUCH less expensive plants in China? To say that creating manufacturing in China for sale to China is not taking American Jobs is very short sighted.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by H_T_R_N:

Only IF you ignore the fact that if they were made here and exported, it would create American Jobs.

China manufactures their own cars, and otherwise buys from Japan and Korea. They are not going to import US cars.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

US exports of autos to China was close to 5.8 Billion in 2012. Source: US International Trade Commission via Congressional Research Service. So they do inport, just not enough. Is it because the capacity is not there or, is there another reason?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

Dodge is NOT an American company any more, yet their tagline 'Imported from Detroit' is an attempt to hide the fact that they are an Italian company.

In the Detroit suburb of Auburn Hills, Michigan, near my wife's hometown, is the huge Chrysler HQ and R&D facility with 11,000 employees.

Chrysler has enormous US and Canadian operations and will continue to do so.

Here:
»www.chryslergroupllc.com ··· ion.aspx

Home to more than 11,000 employees, the Chrysler World Headquarters complex, which includes the Chrysler Technology Center, its main research and development facility, is located in Auburn Hills, Michigan. This is one of the largest freestanding business complexes in the world, second only to the Pentagon.

In North America there are 32 manufacturing facilities, 1 training facility and 2 test facilities (December 2012). In addition, there are 9 U.S. Regional Business Centers responsible for all sales, service, parts, service contracts and dealer initiatives and 21 North American Parts Distribution Centers which ship MoparĀ® parts and accessories to dealers and customers.

BTW if you think that GM and Ford are pure "American" companies that's simply not true. Ford especially has always been very international.

My 1986 Ford Taurus had an engine made in Germany....
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

US exports of autos to China was close to 5.8 Billion in 2012.

Look at what you are saying.

The whole planet only has about 7 Billion people....

China population is 1.4 Billion, your number makes no sense.
H_T_R_N (banned)
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by PX Eliezer1:

The whole planet only has about 7 Billion people....

China population is 1.4 Billion, your number makes no sense.

I forget the $. And really I'm surprised at you, lighten up! If you were not so quick to find fault you might have surmised since that number was so out of whack that it might have been a typo or mistake.

This is one of the main problems facing American right now. People don't fucking talk anymore. Everyone is looking to prove someone else wrong. Conversations about things so that each party comes away with more knowledge then they went in to it with are no more. Everyone's job now is to minimise the other side of an argument or the person delivering it. So much energy is spent on that that furthering knowledge can never happen.

Where the fuck is Scotty?
H_T_R_N

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

BTW if you think that GM and Ford are pure "American" companies that's simply not true. Ford especially has always been very international.

You might take note I never once mentioned Ford or GM. This thread was not about them. They have a much larger global spread then does Fiat, and they don't hide that fact or attempt to lie about it. You might also note I don't have any of their cars on my go to list either. IF I were to look into either more than a quick web browse, the Equinox from GM or the Edge and SHO from Ford would be on the test drive list.

GroovyPhoenx
Premium Member
Gloucester, ON

GroovyPhoenx to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Which is probably why it works still while the rest of the Ford is rusted like a tin can bucket sitting in a rain storm

I "diverted" to a ford once, and only once, never again will Ibuy a ford after I called about a problem that my mechanic SWORE up and down was the exact same issue of a recall and they refused to honor the recall on it
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

Where the fuck is Scotty?

Last I saw of him, he was in 10 Forward with Jim Beam.

PhoenixAZ
Get A Mac
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Phoenix, AZ

2 recommendations

PhoenixAZ to GroovyPhoenx

Premium Member

to GroovyPhoenx
I will never buy something simply because its "American", I buy based on the quality of the product. I'll buy American if it's the better product.

And Chrysler has lost several times in my book. A 2006 Jeep Commander shouldn't need a whole new transmission at 60,000 miles.

For all the people who "buy American" you're all fools. Buy for the product not where it's made. If these domestic companies want to win your business, they should do it the right way- by building a better product.

horacebork
Premium Member
join:2011-03-17

horacebork

Premium Member

so long as any company provides a sub-standard product, they deserve any lack of business they get.

so long as gumment doesn't interfere to support such a company providing sub-standard products, the problem is self-correcting.

[rant]
automobiles should be a slam dunk these days. the fact that it seems more like rocket science than a 100+ year old technology is a travesty based only on how much profit a company can make.
[/rant]

mackey
Premium Member

mackey to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by H_T_R_N:

Dodge is NOT an American company any more, yet their tagline 'Imported from Detroit' is an attempt to hide the fact that they are an Italian company.

In the Detroit suburb of Auburn Hills, Michigan, near my wife's hometown, is the huge Chrysler HQ and R&D facility with 11,000 employees.

Chrysler has enormous US and Canadian operations and will continue to do so.

By that logic Toyota and Honda are American companies as well. Toyota is moving 4,000 employees to a new Texas campus, keeping 2,300 in their CA design studio, and have 8,200 in their KY manufacturing plant. Honda has about 13,500 employees in Ohio.

/M

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

2 recommendations

Gbcue

Premium Member

Honda and Toyota are more American than GM and Chrysler. At least Honda and Toyota build many of the cars in the USA. GM and Chrysler build in Mexico and Canada.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Gbcue:

Honda and Toyota are more American than GM and Chrysler. At least Honda and Toyota build many of the cars in the USA. GM and Chrysler build in Mexico and Canada.

All these companies have multinational operations. I think everyone knows that.

But your comments about GM and Chrysler are just wrong.

GM has extensive manufacturing in the USA:
»gmauthority.com/blog/gm/ ··· cturing/

Chrysler also has much manufacturing in the USA:
»media.chrysler.com/newsr ··· 17&mid=1

-----

I am intimately familiar with Oakland County, Michigan, just north of Detroit. Chrysler has been and continues to be a major presence for the economy there, for Oakland University and other institutions, and for the people of Michigan.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

However, depending on the source, many 'foreign' manufacturers have more American content than many domestics. Sure - there are a lot of manufacturing in the US - that is not the issue. The issue is how many of the parts being assembled are actually American.

Doing a quick search - you can easily find fuel for either side of the argument.

mackey
Premium Member

mackey to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by Gbcue:

All these companies have multinational operations. I think everyone knows that.

But to say Dodge (really Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) is American but Toyota is foreign is just wrong. "But they have XXXX U.S. jobs!" They both employ about the same number of people in the U.S.

Dodge: a Netherlands-based holding company with its global headquarters in London, UK and employs 39,200 people in the U.S.
Toyota: a Japan-based company headquartered in Aichi, Japan and employs "more than 30,000 Americans."

If Dodge is American then Toyota must be too. If Toyota is foreign then Dodge must be too.
said by PX Eliezer1:

GM has extensive manufacturing in the USA:
»gmauthority.com/blog/gm/ ··· cturing/

Chrysler also has much manufacturing in the USA:
»media.chrysler.com/newsr ··· 17&mid=1

"Manufacturing" as in unloading the finished components off the train from Mexico and bolting them together.

/M
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by mackey:

"Manufacturing" as in unloading the finished components off the train from Mexico and bolting them together.

There is [plenty] done in the US.

From Chrysler, eg:

POWERTRAIN OPERATIONS

Dundee Engine Plant
Dundee, Mich.
1.4-liter (I-4) Fully Integrated Robotized Engine (FIRE) and 1.4-liter (I-4) Fully Integrated Robotized Engine (FIRE) Turbocharged; 2.0-liter (I-4) and 2.4-liter (I-4) World Gas Engines; 2.0-liter (I-4) and 2.4-liter (I-4) Tigershark

Mack Avenue Engine (2 plants)*
Detroit, Mich.
3.2-liter (V-6) Pentastar; 3.6-liter (V-6) Pentastar

Trenton Engine Complex (2 plants)
Trenton, Mich.
2.4-liter (I-4) Tigershark; 3.0-liter (V-6) Pentastar (China); 3.2-liter (V-6) Pentastar; 3.6-liter (V-6) Pentastar

TRANSMISSION/CASTING/MACHINING/AXLE OPERATIONS

Indiana Transmission I
Kokomo, Ind.
Six- and Nine-speed transmissions

Indiana Transmission II
Kokomo, Ind.
Five-speed transmissions

Kokomo Casting
Kokomo, Ind.
Transmission/transaxle cases and
aluminum transmission components

Kokomo Transmission
Kokomo, Ind.
Four-, Six- and Eight-speed transmissions

Tipton Transmission
Tipton, Ind.
Nine-speed transmissions

Toledo Machining
Toledo, Ohio
Steering columns, torque converters

Mt. Elliott Tool & Die
Detroit, Mich.
Stamping dies, checking fixtures, stamping fixtures

STAMPING OPERATIONS

Sterling Stamping
Sterling Heights, Mich.
Automotive body stampings and assemblies

Warren Stamping
Warren, Mich.
Automotive body stampings and assemblies

-----

Frankly, I don't care if a company's CEO is eating rice, beans, hot dogs, or pasta.

What matters to me is if a company contributes significantly to a country's economy, and Chrysler certainly does for the US (and Canada).