spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LordKronos
join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI

LordKronos

raising prices again?

Seriously? If I'm not mistaken, this is the THIRD price increase this year.

Effective Nov 1:
$10 increase in my package price
brand new $2 "sports surcharge" (I don't even watch sports...split this crap off already).
HBO is now $19 (up from $18)
Stars/Encore is $15 (up from $12, which was up from FREE when you guys removed this from our package).
Phone Network Fee is $6.50 (up from $4)
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

There is a thread about it already.

»New Sports Surcharge starts Nov 1, 2014
pparks1
join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI

pparks1 to LordKronos

to LordKronos
Yes, 3rd is the number I have.
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Body Count to LordKronos

to LordKronos
What's funny is nothing went up in my November bill. So either they will get me in December or the fees are not hitting me.
bsipe9
join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH

bsipe9

Yea, my bill hasn't seen this newest increase yet either. Of course, I'm still pissed that my bill went up $16 and change AND they took away Starz at the same time. That's essentially a $28 increase.

Suffice it to say, I'm in the process now of setting up our household (with HTPC's and/or Roku) to ditch TV service. Paying $80-90 (more than just internet) a month (that's $1000 a year) for DocMcStuffins, Cavs/Indians and The Walking Dead is ridiculous.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32 to LordKronos

to LordKronos
Join the rest of us........cut the cord and ditch cable TV. The value just isn't there any more. I have some Android boxes with XBMC, a Roku and a HTPC hooked up to an OTA antennae. I got sick and tired of paying more and more for complete garbage.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to bsipe9

to bsipe9
said by bsipe9:

Yea, my bill hasn't seen this newest increase yet either. Of course, I'm still pissed that my bill went up $16 and change AND they took away Starz at the same time. That's essentially a $28 increase.

yeah when that happened at the start of this year, I called to complain about the price increase and Starz leaving. They gave me a $15 discount which expires at the end of this year. I'll just call to complain again though.

They claim the price increase was finalized before they knew Starz was changing their pricing model and they regretted having both hit at the same time.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by Body Count:

said by bsipe9:

yeah when that happened at the start of this year, I called to complain about the price increase and Starz leaving. They gave me a $15 discount which expires at the end of this year. I'll just call to complain again though.

They claim the price increase was finalized before they knew Starz was changing their pricing model and they regretted having both hit at the same time.

I hope you didn't believe that rubbish, did you? Otherwise, why is there a $10 hike this year instead of a $5 hike?
bsipe9
join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH

bsipe9 to Body Count

to Body Count
said by Body Count:

See, that is my problem though. I called to complain and talked to three different CSR's and they all wouldn't budge. After spending over two hours on the phone I gave up. I've never had success on the phone dealing with reps, be it WoW, T-Mobile, etc.

I can all but guarantee that when I call to end my TV service, they're just gonna go "OK, take care" rather than try and make a competitive offer.

Chuck
@75.118.126.x

Chuck

Anon

After 7 years a customer and getting discounts pretty much yearly they refused to deal when I called in August and gave me a token $10 a month discount. I received the price increase email, and found we can get u-verse here so will be dumping Wow on OCT 31 to not pay the new charges.

They took bill creep to a whole new level in the last 24 months.
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by Chuck :

After 7 years a customer and getting discounts pretty much yearly they refused to deal when I called in August and gave me a token $10 a month discount. I received the price increase email, and found we can get u-verse here so will be dumping Wow on OCT 31 to not pay the new charges.

They took bill creep to a whole new level in the last 24 months.

Just a warning, U-Verse has terrible HD PQ.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by mogamer:

I don't have U-verse (I am a "cord never"), but know two people who do have it. Picture quality at those two residences is on a par with any cable, or satellite service I have seen at various friends'/relatives' houses.
Body Count
Columbus, OH

Body Count to LordKronos

to LordKronos
U-Verse's DVR can only record two HD's channels at once .. or record one HD channel and watch another one. This is even though they advertise it can record four at once.

It can record four but two of them must be SD channels.
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to NormanS

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by mogamer:

I don't have U-verse (I am a "cord never"), but know two people who do have it. Picture quality at those two residences is on a par with any cable, or satellite service I have seen at various friends'/relatives' houses.

Ask them to have two hd streams going and then have someone browse the internet. OUCH!
clocks11
join:2002-05-06

clocks11 to Chuck

to Chuck
said by Chuck :

After 7 years a customer and getting discounts pretty much yearly they refused to deal when I called in August and gave me a token $10 a month discount.

Wow is becoming Comcast. I know a lot of people that have had harder times getting discounts over the past year. One of many reasons why I left.

gatownsend
join:2003-04-26
Westlake, OH

gatownsend to Body Count

to Body Count
If you qualify for U-verse's 45mbit download speed they will set you up with the profile that allows 4 HD streams at once, and that still leaves you with about 10mbps of bandwidth for internet activity. You need to be within about 2,200 feet of the VRAD to get VDSL2 pair bonding. This give 45mbps down and 6mbps up. I just had techs out to test my line, but I'm too far away to get it, so that was a deal breaker for me. The tech confirmed that if you are within the range they'll set you up with a profile that will indeed allow 4 HD streams at once.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks probably don't qualify, but if you do, I'd consider this a viable alternative to WOW. You'd be giving up 2 tuners on the DVR if you have UltraTV, but I honestly can't find a point in time where we were using more than 4 (and we're kind of pigs with setting recordings for stuff).

~Gary
gatownsend

gatownsend

One drawback I forgot - I'm pretty sure U-verse doesn't support expanding your DVR storage space, so you're stuck with the amount of hard drive space in the DVR. I have a 1.5TB drive added on to my UltraTV, and we're currently at about 40% of capacity (and it would be worse if I didn't go through about once a month and weed out all the junk my son sets up to "record all episodes" and "keep until I delete".

~Gary

Tock
It's just me
join:2014-02-19
Glendale Heights, IL

2 edits

Tock to LordKronos

to LordKronos
I have to agree there is more then one self sustain company in my area. If a company advertise it's pricing package. I expect to see that price. For example. if there is something on sale you announce that it's on sale. However, if you plan to gouge other companies you better write it in fine print. You don't want to gouge customers. Fortunately, It's tough for the customers. if that was the cause then I would change the rule to not cut the cord for a $100 installation...

Chuck
@75.118.126.x

Chuck to LordKronos

Anon

to LordKronos
So I called and terminated video service yesterday, quoting them as prices were too high and I had no interest in paying the November rate increases. The CSR started giving me reasons to stay and I cut him off with...

"Look I do not watch sports, I have no interest in watching sports and yet because I have HD you are now going to charge me a separate sports fee, when I already know I am paying for sports as part of my existing bill, again sports that I do not watch. How would you like to be allergic to shellfish, you cannot eat it, and you go into a general restaurant that serves a wide variety of food including seafood/shellfish and they tell you that to keep the cost of crab cakes low so everyone can enjoy them that every check will have a $2 crab cake surcharge no matter if you order them or not to keep the crab cake costs low for the actual customers who order them? Would you eat there if you had other alternatives?

He had no reply.

kilmer21
@50.4.81.x

kilmer21 to LordKronos

Anon

to LordKronos
I'm done with WOW. My bill is going up 15.50 next month an I have just basic cable and internet/phone. Absolutely ridiculous. This on top of the 10.00 increases over the past 2 years, my bill has gone up over 30 dollars in 3 years with no HD, DVR, etc. I've been a WOW customer since they came into the Cleveland area back in 2000 but today was the last straw.