All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Kingscup
join:2006-03-01

Kingscup

Questions about switching to DSL Extreme

Several years ago, I posted about possibly getting DSL Extreme at a fire station so we could have internet after the work day was done. We decided to with Verizon and now we are looking at switching to DSL Extreme. I have some questions before the switch.

Will this service be classified as business or residential as it will only be used by the firefighters at the station.

We will have 1 person in charge of the internet (for billing purposes). We would like yearly contracts as it saves money and dsl is the only way we can get internet. If the person on the contract promotes or transfers, can we change persons during the contract?

When pre-qualifying for stand-alone residential dsl, there is basic, pro and elite. Pro is a different color and I am not sure what that means. We would like to get pro but does that mean we need phone service with that? Obviously, we do not need phone service.

Is a credit card required or can a debit card be used instead?

Thanks for the help.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Had to check with the Billing dept. since most of what you're asking is really their area, but here you go:

Would need to prequalify the address, but based on what you've described we can probably classify it as residential.

Should make sure to have two points of contact, so if one needs to leave for any reason he can be the new primary point of contact (and then add a new secondary contact).

It's usually faster and easier to get connected if you have an existing phone line with active voice service, but no, you are not required to have existing voice. If you don't have an active line and your inside wiring is not already connected to the phone box, you might need to hire someone to come and connect it for you (or just connect it yourself, in many cases). If you're switching over your existing DSL from Verizon over to us, then your inside wiring should already be connected, so a non-issue in your case. Don't worry about the coloration on the Pro, I believe that's just shading for visibility contrast (you can get stand-alone Pro, no problem).

A debit card can be used as long as it's got the Visa or MasterCard logo on it.

Kingscup

Kingscup

said by dslx_nick:

It's usually faster and easier to get connected if you have an existing phone line with active voice service, but no, you are not required to have existing voice. If you don't have an active line and your inside wiring is not already connected to the phone box, you might need to hire someone to come and connect it for you (or just connect it yourself, in many cases). If you're switching over your existing DSL from Verizon over to us, then your inside wiring should already be connected, so a non-issue in your case. Don't worry about the coloration on the Pro, I believe that's just shading for visibility contrast (you can get stand-alone Pro, no problem).

We currently have active service through Verizon so the wiring is there. I don't remember if Verizon gave us a phone number (without service) when we signed up. I thought that they did. If they did, do we need to know that number in order to transfer service?

Thanks for the info

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

If you've got dryloop service with them, then you definitely want to try to locate that number and provide it on the order. If you go out to the phone box, the line is often 'tagged' with an identifying label that should have the phone number (or at least the last four digits) on it.

Kingscup

Kingscup

Ok thanks I'll see what I can find.
Kingscup

Kingscup to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
said by dslx_nick:

If you've got dryloop service with them, then you definitely want to try to locate that number and provide it on the order. If you go out to the phone box, the line is often 'tagged' with an identifying label that should have the phone number (or at least the last four digits) on it.

Well, I seem to be stuck. There was actually a Verizon tech that came out for another reason. Even he could not figure out the phone number or the 4 digit number. It almost seemed as if dsl wasn't hooked up or something.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

If the Verizon tech was out there on other business, and the number's not noted on your phone box, then it's not too surprising that he wouldn't know what your dryloop number is - no more than he'd know what your regular landline number or cellphone numbers are, if he was called by a neighbor to handle some problem on the neighbor's line. In that case, your best bet to learn your dryloop number is to call up Verizon directly and provide them with some of your account information (account number, street address, etc.) and have them look it up for you.