Search similar:

uniqs

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

rewiring at bell demarc

Click for full size
Hey guys, need some help at my parents house.

Currently my parents have DSL but are getting poor signal and I'm guessing that it may be due to the internal wiring, and the demarc doesn't look great either.

They have a VoIP setup so the wiring needs to be for 1 jack only for the modem, the rest don't matter. I was wondering if I can use cat5 from the demarc to a new phone jack. Any particular wires to use? Where do I need to connect to the demarc? Should I do anything else in there? Just doesn't look right! The house is old so I don't know if this is why the demarc looks odd.

Thanks!
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

That's an old protector, not a demarc. It is also not grounded so that's a big no no right off the bat. Hopefully it is at least grounded inside? In any case, cat5 or cat5e is perfect. Just pick a pair (usually white/blue) and run it from the white/blue drop pair to the Jack. White should go where green is and blue where red is in the Jack.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

That's odd, I don't see what could be a demarc anywhere else, and that Greg cable is the one going inside the house and in the walls, I'll have to find where it goes to.

Also, when you say white, do you mean the blue-white? That is what is connected, blue-white to green and blue to red.

Still a little confused!

On the pic, you can see the red and blue cables are actually connected to that bolt, would that not serve as a ground? (Just wondering)

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Unusual protector ... there are no carbons!

Anyway ... the "Demarc" is a relatively modern term in Bell history. It is the boundary between the customer responsibilty wiring and the Bell responsibility wiring (Demarcation point)

In new houses, the Demarc is a largish box called a NID (Network interface device) where the internal wiring connects using RJ11 plugs inside the box to join customer side to Bell side.

In older homes the Demarc is some form of connection box ... like the one in the picture, others are the "protector"

2 typical protectors used by Bell Canada

The best thing to do is to remake the connections and ensure that the Red to Blue/White and Green to White/Blue are made correctly and under firm under a nut. I would put the Green connection under the nut on the lower left of the box.

(First colour is the main colour of the wire, the second is the stripe).
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
Wow, what a shitty wiring job. Connect one half of the pair under a proper terminal and simply twist together the other half? Is this what Bell trains their techs to do these days?
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde
Yes I mean blue white. If you run cat 5 there will be white/blue, white/orange, white/green and white/brown. Just pick a pair and connect it to the Blue white drop pair you see in that box.

And no the nut does not serve as a ground point. A third thick Guage copper wire should be connected to the middle nut you see in the box and run to a ground source. Cold water pipe or if accessible, the braided copper which grounds your electrical service.

As a rookie mentioned, demarc is a fairly new term (maybe 10-15 years or so) Your house very well may not have a proper demarc.

As for sbrook, we haven't used carbon protectors in awhile
We just got some new "hybrid" protectors actually which are electrical jelly filled.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I noted from the picture that the drop was actually quite modern too ... the cable uses the colour/stripe wires Most older homes I've been in have simply black pairs.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by sbrook:

I noted from the picture that the drop was actually quite modern too ... the cable uses the colour/stripe wires Most older homes I've been in have simply black pairs.

Yes,the drop is fairly new. when my parents got the house, the bell tech had to run a brand new cable from the pole to the house, to that little box.

Needless to say, i've always complain of the speed they got, never more than 2 or 2.5 up.

Well i redid the wiring just now and tested it and got a solid 4-4.5! Just have to do a ground at this point and get a new jack, i used an old one from the use, i think it wasn't too good because it kept loosing sync, but has been going on 10 mins now.
OverrRyde

OverrRyde

Click for full size
Click for full size
New connection, oldie jack!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
This is just a flip box, all it's supposed to be used for is a junction point as there is no line protection.