spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ajohansson7
join:2008-10-05
Murrieta, CA

ajohansson7

MI424WR REV I MOCA Bridge help

I moved and new house has RG6 not CAT5. Previous home I wired in CAT 5 and this new house is a rental. Old house I had the my Airport Extreme as my router directly from the ONT. I would like to do the same making the supplied verizon actiontec router into a bridge since im on moca now. I have followed so many different forums and instructions without success. Some say have to do stuff with MAC addresses some dont yada yada.

Anyone on here just have FIOS internet not TV and done the MOCA Bridge successfully with the actiontec MI424WR REV I router?

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Option #3 in the networking FAQ

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
ajohansson7
join:2008-10-05
Murrieta, CA

ajohansson7

ive followed the directions multiple times in the link and I dont know if its a revision I thing or what but bridging just aint working for me. If it wasnt a two story house i would just run the cat 5 cable and be done with it.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

It works fine, people have followed the instructions hundreds of times.

I have a rev I as primary and three Westell 9100's that I got for ten bucks each of ebay for a nice extended 100mbs network over coax for the TV's

Its very simple

Set the router to a static IP outside the DHCP range of the primary router
Disable the WAN port

That's it
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to ajohansson7

to ajohansson7
Hi guys,
I think there is some miscommunication going on here. ajohansson7, I believe misused "MoCA Bridge" when he really just wanted to bridge his Rev I so he could use his Airport Extreme as the primary router. guppy_fish you ran with the "MoCA Bridge" and pointed him to option 3 which would turn his Airport Extreme into a wireless AP but you then describe your own system which is converting an Actiontec into a MoCA bridge. I am pretty confused...but the op is not the first post I have seen which reported having difficulty just bridging the Rev I and using their own router as primary. I am pretty sure I have seen posts which have found solutions too. Apparently, the Rev I is slightly different then the older Revisions, if memory serves.
JOSHSKORN
join:2007-10-21

JOSHSKORN to ajohansson7

to ajohansson7
Try this. It worked for me, GRANTED what I was trying to do, was have my Rev C router in another room serve as a bridge to communicate with my Rev I, which was my DHCP. BOTH routers are connected to my ONT via coax. I wouldn't know what you're doing with your Apple product.

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

That FAQ is not appropriate here. The OP wants to use his Apple Airport Extreme as primary.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to ajohansson7

to ajohansson7
I found something: »How-to: Make Actiontec MI424WR Revision I (Rev.I) a Network
vpineau
join:2014-11-01
US

vpineau to ajohansson7

to ajohansson7
Hello All -

Building up on ajohansson7, I spent a fair amount of time going over different posts on how to "bypass" the actiontec Rev I and the post fcfc2 referred to appeared to be the most adequate -

That said after several trial and errors -Gotta learn how to follow instructions to the T!!- I got my new Router to get the IP from Verizon... but I could not browse to any website... Suspecting DNS issue... Will try with website IP next but wondering if anyone got through milkmandan's instructions and faced a similar issue... If so any thoughts on how to overcome it?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Thx
rhdcheme
join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA

rhdcheme to fcfc2

to fcfc2
This worked for me fine with an Asus RT-n56U as primary and 2 STBs. I port forward 35000-35001 tcp and 63145-63146 udp on the Asus to the STBs and I got caller ID working on at least one of the STBs.

msanta
ATT U-verse
join:2005-05-30
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

I followed your link and found out that someone had the same issue and solved it by adding port forwarding rules.
»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· e#M44668
However my Linksys have the following options and I don't know where the information goes:
Application name:
External Port:
Internal Port:
Protocol:
Device ip:

I am not sure what tp put on application name and which port is which. Do you have any idea?
msanta

msanta to rhdcheme

to rhdcheme
Did caller id work?
rhdcheme
join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA

rhdcheme

Yes it did. By adding the port forwards above.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to msanta

MVM

to msanta
I believe it's:
Application: makeyourownnameTCP
External Port: Any
Internal Port: 35000-35001
Protocol: TCP
Device IP: whatever the STB pulls

Application: makeyourownnameUDP
External Port: Any
Internal Port: 63145-63146
Protocol: UDP
Device IP: whatever the STB pulls

Do it again for another STB, I think the Internal Port is different for each one, but not sure. One way to find out is to place the Actiontec as primary, get callerID working, then go in to port forwards and make notes. It's complicated by whether the STB is using Listener1 or Listener2. Choice is set by techsupport, one works better than the other is unknown circumstances.

Search forum posts for keywords.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

1 edit

msanta to rhdcheme

to rhdcheme
Click for full size
Click for full size
On my Linksys router the fields look like this:

On the Quantum router the port forwarding rules look like this:

The Quantum router gives me the ip of the box, the protocol and one port number only.
It shows the name of the service and the protocol
Verizon Fios Service TCP any->63147

I am confused with the ports, verizon forwarding rules only shows one port number, and my router needs two, an internal and an external. So when I try to put that information I don't know which port is internal or external. Or internal and external is the same? I have everything working except the caller id, this may very well be the answer to my prayers! Every box has their own ip and UDP/TCP port which is probable the internal port the port forwarding needs. So what do I write in the external field?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by msanta:

I am confused with the ports

The external port is the outside (WAN) port that you want to forward to some device on your LAN.

The internal port is the port on that LAN device that you want the external port forwarded to.

In your case these would be the same.

msanta
ATT U-verse
Pompano Beach, FL

msanta

Thanks very much!