Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

[Apps] Just switched to Chrome browser

Not bad. Not bad at all.

I've always been hooked on the stock Android browser, especially because I love the labs feature with thumb controls; it's just so convenient.

Recently I sent my cousin a link that hada Fflash video embedded in the page, and told him he might need to use a browser that is Flash compatible, and he told me that he uses Chrome and it worked perfectly fine. I was very surprised by this, because when I tried Chrome when it first launched, it didn't support Flash. For webpages that had Flash videos on it, I was using Dolphin Browser only to view those pages and videos, and for everything else I was using the stock Android browser. Just switched to Chrome after my cousin told me that Flash works on it, and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. It does render pages a lot faster than the stock browser. Also feels a lot faster, another, and more responsive. How do you guys feel Chrome compares with the Firefox browser?

Any tips and tricks for Chrome browser? I noticed that at times on a webpage, when I tap somewhere, a sort of magnifying bubble window will appear. How and when does this show up, and is it possible for you to manually bring that up? Is there a way to import my bookmarks from the stock android browser?

Any other tips/tricks?
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Chrome does not support Flash, the page probably encodes the video based upon what browser is being used.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Not really sure I'm understanding. When I load a page that has an embedded Flash video, I get an icon that says need to upgrade my version of Flash because it's not supported, and the video does not display or play properly. When I load that same page in Chrome, it displays/plays perfectly fine.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC
Hitron CDA3
(Software) OpenBSD + pf

Chubbzie to kes601

to kes601
said by kes601:

Chrome does not support Flash

"The Google Chrome browser (32 bit) includes Adobe Flash Player built-in. Accordingly, it's not necessary for Chrome to download Flash Player separately."
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

1 recommendation

kes601

Not on Android, which is what this forum is about.

Chubbzie
join:2014-02-11
Greenville, NC

Chubbzie

My apologies, didn't realize I was in the Android forum when posted. Guessing its probably just a HTML5 vid or like you stated a script checking for compatible video formats.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to Alpha Phoenix

to Alpha Phoenix
I switched completely to chrome about 2 weeks ago now

I'd been using chrome on mobile ever since Dolphin started to suck

I've gone chrome on my laptop too now, and I love how easily it keeps all my browsers synced up, tabs, browsing history, etc

I still miss the old dolphin, but chrome I like better than firefox now (I used firefox for...man 8 or 10 years?)

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
I've been using Chrome for a while now, mostly because it syncs to Chrome on my other devices, and works well.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
FLASH will work on the stock Android browser too if you install the last Android version of FLASHPLAYER 11.x. Post 4.0 can't be done by PLAY but is available from ADOBE and other 3rd party sources and seems there are not yet changes to make it non functional.

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

1 recommendation

Drunkula to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
The "magnifying bubble" will appear if Chrome sees more than 1 link that are relatively close to each other so that it allows you to clarify which link you clicked. I actually love that feature but I'm not aware of how to make it appear at will (other than clicking on a link near another link).

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

FLASH will work on the stock Android browser too if you install the last Android version of FLASHPLAYER 11.x. Post 4.0 can't be done by PLAY but is available from ADOBE and other 3rd party sources and seems there are not yet changes to make it non functional.

Did that. Doesn't work anymore.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

Pentangle to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Any advice on how to get my Firefox Bookmarks on my Windows pc over to Chrome on my Android tablet?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I would probably say either copy and paste them into your Chrome browser on your computer and they should sync to the Android Chrome browser app, or copying and pasting the url's into an email and send them to yourself and add them to the Chrome browser on your Android device(s).

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

1 recommendation

Koil to Pentangle

Premium Member

to Pentangle
You should be able to export them from FF and import them to Chrome on your desktop, and as AP said, they'll be available on your android device once they sync up.

Pentangle
With our thoughts we make the world.
Premium Member
join:2006-06-01
Vancouver BC

1 recommendation

Pentangle

Premium Member

Thanks AP & Koil.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

said by Hayward0:

Did that. Doesn't work anymore.

Does still on my 4.2 ASUS Transformer Tablet. Maybe they have changed the browser to not to. Opera and some others won't see the Flash Player but the Android Browser did at least up to 4.2x

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

I'm running 4.4.4

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

I'm running 4.4.4

I now have a 4.4 phone but because of small screen haven't tried it on that yet.
Sad that Google would have intentionally done that...then again BS they have so limited file handling now too.... supposedly to protect the stupid from doing damage.... not a real excuse.
Why for tablet I am in no hurry to upgrade and loose total file exchange and handling ability. Its just STUPID they have done that.

On the 4.4 phone first tine while had heard of it, something that had nothing to do with OS I couldn't do like WTF.... and on and an OS originally based on openess

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

1 recommendation

ptrowski to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Based on the thread I am going to give Chrome a try again. I have typically been a Dolphin user.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

So I've been using the Chrome browser for almost 2 weeks now and I have to say I am really liking it so far. Much better than when I tried it when it first came out.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

shaner

Premium Member

All of the Google apps have had a major overhaul recently to bring them more into line with the new Android Material Design elements in preparation for the launch of Lollipop. I have dumped the built in Samsung Mail and Calendar apps in my S5 in favor of Gmail and Google Calendar. I even dumped Samsungs' excellent Car Mode app in favour of Google Now. They are gorgeous to look at and simple to use. Chrome follows along those lines too as I have been using it over the stock browser for a very long time.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
said by Alpha Phoenix:

So I've been using the Chrome browser for almost 2 weeks now and I have to say I am really liking it so far. Much better than when I tried it when it first came out.

Same here, it is now my default browser.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

In addition to this, Google launched a new Messenger app today.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Huh? What Messenger app.

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

This one.

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· essaging

It's their text messaging app.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

What's the difference between that and the stock text messaging app?

shaner
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Other than looking like all the other Google apps in terms of Material Design, not much. But, I do think it will be the stock messaging app in new Lollipop phones.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
Have you tried it out yet? I wonder if this will replace Hangouts.

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

Drunkula to Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

to Alpha Phoenix
Not sure what's up but I can't seem to bookmark anything anymore (the star icon is nowhere to be found). Using the current Chrome on my HTC Droid DNA running Liquid Smooth ROM (android 4.4.4).

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Press the menu icon (3 vertical dots) on the upper right hand corner. That will pop out the menu options and you will see the star there.