uniqs

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member
join:2003-07-10

Just Rachel

Premium Member

[HN7000S] Uploading makes the entire internet almost unusable

Hi. First off, I am on 117 west 1090 MHz. I think this is what you need to know.

Whenever I boot up my computer Google Drive begins to upload any files that need to be synched. During my uploads the internet is barely usable with pages not loading at all and the system status light turning that horrible green color. I had this with Dropbox a while back before I switched.

Does anyone else have this happen? Is this Hughes way of forcing me to upgrade to Gen4?

Also wondering if my satellite is being decommissioned and that may be a problem. I don't keep up with this stuff very well.

Gen4 frightens me. Not sure if we can hit the satellite here. We've been very lucky for 11 years and had pretty fair service even with a lot of trees that could easily interfere. Should I just give in and get Gen4?

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

In the title it says "HN7000". Is this the system you're really using?

Our's just quit working all together one day and that's when we went to Gen4(this has been close to 2 years). It's just I find it difficult to believe cause our HN7K fell flat on it's face that day and it was clear sky for days, even had a repair man come and check it out and all he said is that it was a little dusty but then when we got Gen4, the same installer came and he said the cable ends that connect into the dish were totally worn and the transponder (feed horn) was so close in falling off.

Just putting my experience out there.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

Yes, I am on the 7000S. I know my equipment is old and most likely wearing out. It works well except for slow evenings which I expect and the fact that it hardly works when I'm uploading. Lots of errors then.

Is Gen4 working okay for you? My concern is that the satellites may be lower in the sky. That's the only reason that I haven't switched to Exede. They can't hit the satellites from my house because of the trees. If the Gen4 satellites are not accessible from here then I'm pretty much screwed as far as internet goes when they take away my 7000S.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926

I am using DSL currently hence I said "Just putting my experience out there."

Now from my experience with the Gen4, it was bad. If a storm would roll in for just 25 minutes or (mist) then for the rest of the day the entire connection will be dead, complete signal drop while some other days where it would work perfectly fine. I kept an eye on the weather at the NOC witch did not help because regardless of weather conditions, the connection would work sometimes and sometimes would not.

Unplugging the modem for 1 hour or 5 hours (especially 5hrs or even a whole day) the modem will work just like a brand new modem. None of the cables are damaged and the satellite dish was aligned perfectly, as I said "a repair man come and check it out and all he said is that it was a little dusty but then when we got Gen4, the same installer came" so IMO the company is BS and all talk.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium Member

Just Rachel

Premium Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. I wish I had options other than satellite.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
I wish everyone would be able to access some dial up or somethin like what other's have here in my state witch is DSL but very low speeds however low ping.. The only thing I see as a negative is the price they make them pay for the poor speeds, if the price would be lower(what it should be worth) then I see no problem but still leaves getting that kind of service out to everyone with only sat or mobile option.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Gen4 .... so much depends upon (as always) a quality installation. This can be assured by the user doing his "home work" before and during the installation process. Most users however find it to much work to learn what they are entitled to.

I could post more if you were really interested ... most folks just pass on learning.

The other "Big One" is really beyond the control of the user and involves beam overloading, gateway overloading ... a total crapshoot.

As for myself, I had to "upgrade" to Gen4 (the real Gen4 HT1000/1100 modem serviced by Echostar17) and have much better than advertized plan speeds.

Those are the two main factors .. installation followed by location.
I routinely get 15 to 18 Mbps from my Power Pro 10 Mbps plan.
Exede Kim
join:2014-05-09
Rockford, IL

Exede Kim to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
Hey Just Rachel, if you can send me your information to exedelistens@viasat.com, I would like to take a look into this for you to see what's causing your slowed speeds. Thank you for posting.
JSheridan
join:2006-07-03
USA

JSheridan

That would be a trick. She's got HughesNet.

dryduck
@107.77.76.x

1 recommendation

dryduck to Just Rachel

Anon

to Just Rachel
This sounds pretty normal to me. Here's a greatly simplified analogy. Imagine your outgoing traffic like a queue of people. Every packet going out has to wait its turn, and when your upload speeds are very slow, as they are, and you're uploading a lot, as you are, the line can get very long, to the point where some invariably give up waiting - they time out.

Now, remember that for every web page you view, your computer sends a request to the web server asking it to send you the web page. Plus additional requests for images and javascript and such. Those requests all have to wait their turn in line with all your uploads. Sometimes they have to wait so long they time out.

Secure web sites add even more difficulty because each https request requires an extra round trip for the security exchange.

So, even when the satellite is not congested with OTHER people's traffic, your uploads are still greatly impacting your overall internet access, even if you're not downloading heavily.

If you can schedule your uploads for a time you're not actively using the internet you will be much happier. The same thing happens to me with google music - I have the uploader thing, and every time I add new tracks it wants to upload them. Generally speaking when this happens I pause the uploads until I am done using the internet.

Gen4 with its higher upload speeds, if it works for you, would probably make this problem less of an issue. But it has its own problems that kept me from ever considering it (I don't like the monthly data allowance model). I just cancelled my hughesnet altogether because I can get 30G of data and a hotspot added to my cell phone plan for $25 less than Hughesnet was costing me.

Now, there is one potential actual problem that I don't know if you're having, and you're probably not, but I did. At some point I was getting moisture inside the feedhorn thing on the satellite antenna. I could see water drops condensed on the plastic cover. These didn't seem to impede my receive ability at all but they seemed to have a larger effect on transmission. I had my installer come out and dry it out. It seems he had lost a gasket in the installation process.
Wyngs
join:2010-02-20
Coos Bay, OR

Wyngs to Just Rachel

to Just Rachel
HN9000
I find this kind of strange....

Yesterday I got a letter from Hughes urging me to upgrade. Today, I'm having the slowest internet I've ever seen. Pages timing out, or won't open. I have to wonder if there is a connection.

On the other hand, it just occurred to me that I haven't unplugged the MODEM in a while. Guess I'll go give that a try...

What happened to the "New Topic" button. Had to make my post here because I couldn't find it.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Click for full size
As far as speed, there is some bad weather in the US.
You may wish to just wait a few hours. It can be fine between you and the satellite and very bad for your data's return trip to wherever your gateway is located.
Wyngs
join:2010-02-20
Coos Bay, OR

Wyngs

You're right. I keep forgetting that Germantown is having some nasty weather, even though it's relative clear here. Thanks G.

I guess I just had a brain fart on that topic button. Hahaha.