All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog

Anyone switch from FIOS to TWC Maxx 300??

I have a Double Play Ultimate 150/150, however, soon I will be able to get this TWC Maxx 300 package? Has anyone switched? What's it like being on cable (I have never had cable internet.) More importantly has anyone used the threat of switching to negotiate a better price or speed tier with Verizon?

My impression is that the TWC Maxx package will be significantly less expensive then my current Verizon package.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Hope you like 15mps uploads .. cable has always been hampered by the limited upload channels.

As for price, the price difference if any will be minimal

FIOS with just say Thank you for being a customer!
sonofsmog
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog

The uploads are 20, but I see your point. However, I know that markets with heavier competition have much better prices/promotions then do areas that don't. My pricing is quite a bit better than some of the other examples I have seen posted. I assume it's because there is more competition in LA.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog
As far as helping you negotiate a better price with Verizon, I agree with guppy_fish, not likely. Picture quality on Fios is generally better and more consistent in quality than most cable providers I have had. Internet for me, is better with Fios due to much better upload speeds. I struggled with a maxed out 2Mbps up with cable for too long. Most folks don't realize that if your upload is maxed out, your download is choked too. But, 20 Mbps is not 2, and it would depend if you do a lot of uploading it is a factor. Whatever your "impression" might be regarding price, just get the real price, do a real comparison, and then do the math. Take whichever appears to be the best deal but avoid a long term contract, if you find you made a mistake, switch back in a couple of months and you should be able to get the latest promotions for new customers.
sonofsmog
Ontario, CA

2 recommendations

sonofsmog

That's the plan. The real issue is the cost of going up to a 300/300 tier on FIOS. It's nearly a 3 times of the cost of the TWC Maxx 320/20 tier. As DOCSIS 3.1 comes online there is no question in my mind that Verizon is going to have to raise speeds or lower prices in these markets. I love FIOS but that much of a price/performance difference would compel to switch, and I am sure I am not the only one.

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

1 recommendation

just lou to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog
I had TWC for internet for many years, and never had any real issues with it. I was even a beta tester for RoadRunner before it was offered to the public. I don't know how the are now with these super fast speeds. Back when I had it, 7Mbps was considered very fast. ....I left TWC because of their awful HDTV picture quality, not because of any issues with internet.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog
said by sonofsmog:

I have a Double Play Ultimate 150/150, however, soon I will be able to get this TWC Maxx 300 package? Has anyone switched? What's it like being on cable (I have never had cable internet.) More importantly has anyone used the threat of switching to negotiate a better price or speed tier with Verizon?

My impression is that the TWC Maxx package will be significantly less expensive then my current Verizon package.

If your double play included TV, your HD TV options will be more limited, and the picture quality will be lower (based on my experience at my in-laws).
sonofsmog
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog

Yeah. I really only watch TV for the Sports programming, everything else I just torrent/usenet, so I guess I could count the Dodgers channel as a plus. I was not aware that TWC's HD offerings were so inferior though. I had them back before HD was a thing. I remember their Digital Cable box sucked donkey balls though (my Verizon one is not much better.) I use cablecards and Windows Media Center anyhow.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

TWC's channels are all copy protected, so you have that additional hassle to deal with on WMC. You can't share recordings between different PCs, cut commercials, convert to other formats, or anything else that you can do with Verizon.

just lou
join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY
Arcadyan FiOS-G3100

just lou to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog
said by sonofsmog:

Yeah. I really only watch TV for the Sports programming, everything else I just torrent/usenet, so I guess I could count the Dodgers channel as a plus. I was not aware that TWC's HD offerings were so inferior though. I had them back before HD was a thing. I remember their Digital Cable box sucked donkey balls though (my Verizon one is not much better.) I use cablecards and Windows Media Center anyhow.

Sports or anything with fast motion was unwatchable. There was terrible macroblocking. I had techs and supervisors at my house and nothing they did could fix it. One tech finally admitted it was probably due to TWC compressing the video. I gave up, switched to FiOS, and haven't looked back. HD PQ was like night and day.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to PJL

Premium Member

to PJL
You don't have TWC Long Beach is a Charter area. I have TWC and I know a few people that has switch. The download speed is a lot better but the upload speed will be 7.5x slower in your case. I would get TWC as a backup internet connection I I was you.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by OpTiC :

You don't have TWC Long Beach is a Charter area. I have TWC and I know a few people that has switch. The download speed is a lot better but the upload speed will be 7.5x slower in your case. I would get TWC as a backup internet connection I I was you.

I know TWC is not in LB. My inlaws have it where they live. My comments stand.
unclexrico
join:2014-03-28
Brooklyn, NY

unclexrico to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog
I just got FIOS and although TWC has higher download speeds for the money, the actual connection quality is nowhere near FIOS. Ping times, consistency, and picture quality is on another level when compared to TWC. I didn't realize there were things I wasn't doing due to the upload constraints until I started doing them with FIOS.

That being said, I'm keeping TWC for a bit as a backup for those extra large DLs due to a great retention offer!

Yah
@108.30.34.x

Yah

Anon

I'd have to agree. That's what distinguishes FiOS and TWC Maxx. The latency especially, makes me feel like Verizon's hub is literally my next door neighbor. Additionally, no need to worry about a clogged connection at home due to symmetrical upload speeds. As far as TV, channels load fast, Guide is very informative, and rich Free on Demand content as well as HBO Go and Showtime.
Expand your moderator at work