All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tjmartin
join:2009-05-24
Welland, ON

tjmartin

[DSL] Speedtest.net and Pingtest.net results different?

Hello

I know this does not deal with Teksavvy directly and I apologize, but I wanted to ask why do I have two different "grades" for both tests? These two tests were done today about a couple minutes apart from each other

I have no problems with my Teksavvy DSL and works fine, even with Tektalk

Just curious why I get a "D" with one, but an "A" with the other? Is this normal?
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

Speedtest.net is grading your speed and ping. Pingtest.net is only grading your ping, jitter, and packet loss. MOS is how well VoIP will sound.

Your ping and jitter are low, which is excellent. However, your download (and especially upload) are not fantastic.

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON

RizzleQ to tjmartin

Premium Member

to tjmartin
Why did I get an A on my English test and a D on my math test? How can that be!?

tjmartin
join:2009-05-24
Welland, ON

tjmartin

said by RizzleQ:

Why did I get an A on my English test and a D on my math test? How can that be!?

Was just asking an honest question. Your sarcasm is not needed, thanks!

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

Do keep in mind the distance travel between Toronto & Sudbury is not the same.

The 8ms difference may just be the distance it required to travel between you residence and the testing server.

Regards,
Martin

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ to tjmartin

Premium Member

to tjmartin
said by tjmartin:

said by RizzleQ:

Was just asking an honest question. Your sarcasm is not needed, thanks!

I'm terribly sorry if I hurt your feelings on the Internet. Drawing parallels to how they are different tests (to different servers, no less) while trying to... wait... be funny? How dare I.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

1 edit

oceros37 to tjmartin

to tjmartin
More to the point, speedtest.net is giving you a grade determined by comparing your speeds to the speeds of other testers. Might be against global average, or in the region you're in, canada, not sure exactly. I don't think speedtest cares whatsoever about the latency.

DSL 7 that you're on is at the lower end of the internet spectrum - so you end up with a D.

pingtest.net is grading your ping/latency/jitter/voip MOS score. Those are all things that don't really relate to an overall high speed throughput. So you get an A.