Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Need help with kernel 3.18 RC2

I tried a few things and still cannot make it work. I run Debian Sid. If I compile it myself from kernel.org, it freezes up trying to bring up the network with ifconfig to the point I have to hard shutdown the machine, no matter if I use Debian's options and all the rest defaults or all defaults(can't ssh in with no network). If I try the Ubuntu package, it fails right at boot and cannot find my hard disk at all, dropping me to the initramfs prompt. This even persists after regenerating the initramfs. UUID is correct. I was looking for the driver improvements in Radeon, since my HD4250 performs subpar with the open source driver but would be ok with a little boost. Any way to get this kernel working in Debian Sid? I have no issues with 3.16.5 except performance issues but I been using liquorix(compiled from source) which no longer updates for Debian and failed to inform users(just found an empty Debian repository, yet there are still releases for Arch).

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames

Premium Member

what are you trying to accomplish with the new kernel other than having the new kernel?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I was trying to get the enhancements in the radeon graphics driver to improve 3D performance with gallium-nine. The laptop has since dropped dead ; ; but I would still like to make it work to see the nouveau improvements(all my other hardware has NVidia graphics while the laptop I was trying to boost had ATI graphics, unsupported by current catalyst versions).

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
mmm new radeon driver? I may have to upgrade myself tonight

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Somebody in the debian-next chat pointed me to some actual benchmarks. Indeed there are many changes listed but real world improvement according to Phoronix is only modest at the moment, which was not expected. So I compiled 3.17.1, which worked fine and saw the distinct improvement over 3.16 that Phoronix saw, so I was pretty happy until the other morning, when the laptop stopped powering up. I did salvage the hard drive for extra storage in my desktop. 3.17.1 is running strong and stable in my other machines. Then again, I did use the gaming oriented zen kernel sources(patched for gaming). I tried both 3.18 rc2 from siduction and the kernel.org sources with same result. The Ubuntu sources would not even boot for some odd reason. Anyways, I got in touch with a helpful coder having the same issue. His debugging lead him to believe it is a bug in the way the realtek wireless driver compiled with kernel 3.18. We both had Realtek cards and indeed, I did find the crash happened when WICD brought my wireless up. I disabled WICD from a live CD and crash went away, but no internet, of course. So I think he is onto something. Let's hope his bug reports get it fixed before final release since he was way ahead of me and had lots of data on it. I, unfortunately, can't debug any further since the laptop, which was my only device with realtek wireless, is now dead.