uniqs

devolic
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Oscoda, MI

devolic

Premium Member

WRT1900AC

Is it worth the price? Pros/Cons about the router that you guys have found. Any additional information would be helpful.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Mine has been rock solid. Its a very nice set and for get router. Simple to use as well. Cons. Short on some features and no 3rd party firmware support still. If ever. A little birdie told me they will be releasing a V2.0 in December. I know nothing of the specs though. They might be moving away from Marvell and back to Broadcom. The latter being extremely 3rd party firmware friendly. Either way. I personally do not regret my purchase one bit. Its a fantastic router and worth the price imo. It will certainly not be replaced any time soon. My last router was a Linksys E4200 v1 I was using for 3+ years. I only replaced it due to age. It still works fine.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to devolic

Premium Member

to devolic
I also have the router, and as was said above, it is rock solid. The range on the 5GHz band is amazing! I am happy with it and feel that it is worth the price. I have no complaints.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to devolic

to devolic
I've had this router for awhile now and I still can't say enough good things about this router. It's totally worth the price (I'd even pay more) for the build quality and performance I'm getting. It's revolutionized my entire network performance, even with throughput and range with wireless N, and don't even get me started on the matching switch. I haven't experienced any issues with the router, which is a pleasent relief. If you have any question feel free to ask.
RJSinMO
join:2007-07-11
Saint Louis, MO

RJSinMO to devolic

to devolic
I guess I'll be the only negative one I just got it last Friday, and maybe I'm expecting too much. Last night, all wireless channels dropped (2.4 and 5g), and a few minutes later came back up. I thought maybe it was rebooting to apply firmware, but much to my surprise reboot or upgrade activity is not logged anywhere. In fact, I've had the logs turned on the whole time, and I have some entries in the Outgoing log only. Nothing in "Incoming", "Security" or "DHCP". No documentation on what should or should not be in those logs. And, on the entries in the Outgoing log (which are too few) there is no timestamp, pretty useless.

Anyway, it would sure be nice to know why the wireless dropped. Support suggested interference (on 2.4 and 5 channels??), and made me do the usual reapply firmware, reboot, etc. If I continue to lose it, and their system can't log what is happening, then it is getting returned.

Nowhere have I found where it might log failed logon attempts at my inside or "guest" network, which I would think would be useful.

Also, the "Internet usage" screen, you might think it would be good for monitoring usage over time. Nope, it is only that exact second when you run it, who is using it and how much.

Maybe I'm asking too much, anyone know of other routers that might do what I'm asking?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'm sure there is third party firmware that could do what you are asking, but it seems like your looking for business grade features in a consumer router, but maybe I'm wrong?
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA

hardly to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

Re: logs

Logs are business grade features?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Different types of logs, like failed administrative login if someone tried logging in but was getting the username or password incorrect it would show what IP address tried accessing it, the time, and how many attempts.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15 to RJSinMO

Premium Member

to RJSinMO

Re: WRT1900AC

WRT1900AC has very basic settings and features. And I mean pretty much bare bones. Netgear and Asus have tons of features on the other hand. Especially with the new ones. But, the Linksys is rock solid. You could have run into a firmware glitch or you might have a faulty unit? It happens. As for information lacking. Here is a hidden page that might help you out. Go here »192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi
RJSinMO
join:2007-07-11
Saint Louis, MO

RJSinMO

Yes, I'm thinking I'm going to return it and get the Asus RT-AC68P. Based on the user manual for it, it seems the logs have more information, and more functionality. According to CNET reviews, about the only thing I would give up is the speed of the NAS service, but I'm not seeing the speeds that CNET quotes anyway, so my external drive (WD Passport) must be slower.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Sorry you feel that way. Good luck on your future router purchases and uses.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
join:2002-11-22
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2 to devolic

Premium Member

to devolic
Sorry for digging up an old topic but there is some new firmware out for the WRT1900AC. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, just wondering if anyone else has?

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I've been using it since it came out.....No issues here to report. Everything seems to be working smoothly.

I have my settings on Automatic Update, so I got it as soon as it came out (I believe it was Dec 3). You may want to wait a while longer if you want to see if anyone reports anything not working well.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I read of one user who goofed something up during the update but he seemed to get it working again.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Both my wired and wireless devices are working fine, so you're probably good to go if you decide to update. I'm only an intermediate experienced user though, so you may want to wait for more responses if you are unsure.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

cbrigante2

Premium Member

Eh I like to live dangerously. . Just ran it and it took maybe 5 min. Looking good so far

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

If you want to be on the safe side. I done a factory reset after upgrading to the new firmware. Some people don't and run into issues later on down the road. Its actually best to do a reset before and after the upgrade.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf to cbrigante2

to cbrigante2
Yeah new update just came out on the 3rd. Nothing major. Although I did discover in the sysinfo screen »192.168.1.1/sysinfo.cgi the inclusion of a wireless site survey, which is pretty neat. »downloads.linksys.com/do ··· 4461.txt

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I guess they changed how wireless devices are identified on the network since the old firmware wouldn't correctly update the info if a 2nd device grabbed the same address.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Oh? Could you give an example?

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

I don't have any from before I loaded the firmware...so that might be difficult

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

What I notice is that my Apple products show correctly after the firmware update. For example before the update my iPad and iPhone would just show up as "iPad" and "iPhone" as the model, now after the update it shows up as "iPad mini 2" and "iPhone 5"

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

Part of the release write up from Linksys on this:

"device discovery and identification improvements
All Smart Wi-Fi routers use internal logic to accurately discover and identify devices when they join the network, e.g. to know that the device just added was an iPhone 6 as opposed to a generic "network device". With this FW update, WRT1900AC will now periodically check for and download an updated device identification logic file from the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi web service, if available. We update this file on a fairly frequent basis to improve the identification of both new and popular network devices. The difference is now you won't have to wait for a FW update to get the benefit of those updates. Recently we've added the identification of the latest wave of Apple iOS devices as well as newer WeMo smart connected devices from Belkin."

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Really cool. Where'd ya find this?
Would be nice if they recignized TiVo devices. Ironically, the Windows 8 computer on my network just says "Windows" for the OS and manufacturer and model is blank, even though in the user guide and elsewhere everything is filled in and says "Windows 8" I wonder if other Smart Routers are gonna get this.

cbrigante2
Wait til Next Year
Premium Member
North Aurora, IL

cbrigante2

Premium Member

Linksys rep actually posted on the forums to explain the firmware a bit:
»community.linksys.com/t5 ··· #M291701

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ