RobinM
Premium Member
join:2001-10-24
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

My Documents folder missing

Running Windows 7 Home Premium.

It isn't on my desktop anymore and I cannot find how to replace it. Also, it doesn't appear to be a "folder". It has a "library" icon instead.

No idea how this happened but I hope someone can help.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Has it ever been on your desktop with Windows 7? Because I don't have it either.

What is present nowadays is the "Libraries" shortcut. This makes more sense, since the other folders such as Music, etc., are no longer contained in Documents.

But 'putting it back' is easy. Right-click on desktop, choose 'new', choose 'shortcut'. Type in the location of your Documents folder, typically C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

You know I don't know. I just seem to remember it being there. Maybe it was from when I had Vista..hmm. Strange how you just assume things are always the way they were. LOL.

I don't really understand the whole "libraries" thing. I will do some research on it. I just like the convenience of having the documents folder right there where I can grab it. Instead of having to go to start/documents. Lazy I guess

Thanks for the help!
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

A library is a collection of folders that can be referred to as if it were one thing.

So the documents library is made up of the user's private documents folder and the public documents folder, but it can be opened (e.g., in Explorer) as if it were one folder.

You the user can also add folders to the library.

Example: for my Music library, I have my Music folder, the local public Music folder , and the nearby file server that hosts my ripped-CD collection.

RobinM
Premium Member
Lupton City, TN

RobinM

Premium Member

Thank you for the clear explanation. Now that I understand I think I will just leave everything as is. I still find it funny that I didn't even notice there was no documents folder on my desktop until now. I've had this computer for about a year...*embarrassed*

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

RobinM,

Maybe something here that might help:

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· indows-7

Freddy
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to RobinM

to RobinM

Hi Robin,

I dunno if this will help you or not but see if your MY DOCUMENTS is still in your ROOT directory (C:\) Im on Win98se and I have 'My Documents' on my desktop AND in my root directory (I think they do that so it can be removed from desktop if you dont want it there) Its the same as whats on my desktop .... If its there,right click it and make a NEW SHORTCUT for it on your desktop

Good luck honey!!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Neither Windows Vista, nor Windows 7 keeps the "Documents" folder in root. Unlike DOS based Windows (95/98/ME), where the user has "super user" access to the entire file system, Vista and 7 has distinct user accounts with restricted file system access.

I never had my "Documents" folder on my desktop in Windows 7; never saw it there in Windows Vista, either. The absolute path looks like this:

C:\Users\%User_Name%\Documents

If there are multiple user accounts, there are multiple "Documents" folders. And the folder permissions are such that no one user can access another user's folders.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

AHhhhh ok Norm,thank you....... I guess that wont work then......

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to RobinM

Premium Member

to RobinM

Re: My Documents folder missing

I just shoved a generic folder on the desktop just as I have always done. I can call it whatever I like and that's where documents get saved. I've always hated anything labelled "MY"

I have everything that wants to save ask where. I might want a pdf saved as a manual and not an ebook.

The computer name from c prompt until now is Yes, Master. Every now and then the ID the computer uses for ID online is an obscenity.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by carpetshark3:

I've always hated anything labelled "MY"

In Windows 7, the underlying file system directory is just 'Documents'. Only Explorer calls it 'My Documents'.