All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

USR56K
join:2000-05-20
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

[Electrical] Baseboard heater - 120 or 240V?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Last year I remodeled a room with this old baseboard heater in it. In addition to having it off the wall for over a year, the electrical panel circuits were updated. The documentation for the panel before the update was poor, so I don't have a clear idea where it was previously connected. Additionally, a new 240V circuit for new in-wall heaters were installed.

Finally getting the room back together, I was going to connect the baseboard heater to the 240V circuit, but then stopped because I wasn't sure what model it is. There are zero markings of any sort on it to clearly determine.

I can see the single pole thermostat is King and the heater elements themselves appear to be the lower end K model - »www.king-electric.com/pd ··· tall.pdf

Is there a way to determine if the heater is 120 or 240V from the appearance?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

No easy way to tell visually. There must be a name plate somewhere.

Do you alt least know the watt rating? If so use a kill-a-watt (or other watt meter or even an amp meter) and connect unit to 120v. Compare reading to listed wattage.

Or just get a new one, electric baseboard heaters are pretty cheap. It is the operating cost that is painful.

/tom

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to USR56K

Premium Member

to USR56K
Do you have a multimeter? Measure and post the resistance and either wattage if known or approx. length of the heater.

/M
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

dick white to USR56K

Premium Member

to USR56K
Federal Pacific. Run as fast as you can. To the dump with it. As Tom suggests, get a new one.

dw

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K to mackey

to mackey
the length of the element is 40" and 57.2 ohms.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

That would be less than 1000W at 240V, less than 250W at 120 so it looks like 240V.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to dick white

Premium Member

to dick white
said by dick white:

Federal Pacific. Run as fast as you can. To the dump with it. As Tom suggests, get a new one.

dw

Yes, our house was filled with them. They are all gone. From the looks of it, it should be replaced, anyway.

Did you have the 240 for the heaters run to a wall thermostat?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to dick white

MVM

to dick white
said by dick white:

Federal Pacific. Run as fast as you can.

Our primary heat source is cord wood but I installed electric baseboards as backup back in early 1980s, not sure what brand.

What is the problem with Federal Pacific? Seems pretty hard to screw up something so simple.

/tom

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

Did you have the 240 for the heaters run to a wall thermostat?

Yes, there is a new 240V/30A circuit for in-wall heaters... each is connected to a programmable thermostat in each bedroom.
dick white
Premium Member
join:2000-03-24
Springfield, VA

1 recommendation

dick white to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt

said by tschmidt See Profile
What is the problem with Federal Pacific? Seems pretty hard to screw up something so simple.

/tom

FPE Stab-Lok panels are a known fire hazard, and FPE was found by a class action lawsuit to have knowingly manufactured and distributed deficient products. Maybe their heater strips are better or less unsafe than their panels, but I wouldn't want to learn about it after the fire department has just gone back to the station.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

Yea, I wouldnt put it past the previous owner to buy the lowest quality piece of crap and install it incorrectly *sigh*.

The local Lowes only has King in stock. Thoughts on ceramic vs normal element?
»www.king-electric.com/pr ··· ter.html

This house is soon to be a rental, if that makes any difference.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by USR56K:

Yea, I wouldnt put it past the previous owner to buy the lowest quality piece of crap and install it incorrectly *sigh*.

The local Lowes only has King in stock. Thoughts on ceramic vs normal element?

The FPE was the bottom of the line in those heaters. I don't know of any electrical problems but they didn't compare to the others in construction.

I've never used the ceramic. Most of mine are liquid filled and have been in service for 30+ years. The idea is they don't have to get as hot as conventional baseboard heaters and the temperature is not varying as much as conventional heaters.

That said, the new line of 'proportional' thermostats kind of achieve the same effect.

USR56K
Lynnwood, WA

USR56K

New King ceramic heater installed. Old one in the trash. Project complete.