jpaik

Cogeco & TiVo

What the....?

»www.ourwindsor.ca/news-s ··· ontario/

Cogeco_Peter
join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

We are happy and excited to confirm: TiVo has landed!

Those looking for more info can visit:
Press Release

Customers will be able to order installations starting Monday, November 3rd!
Cogeco_Peter

Cogeco_Peter to jpaik

to jpaik
Click for full size
The new TiVo units.
stiffler
join:2003-02-03

stiffler

Cogeco_Peter, I was reading the Globe & Mail story and is it true to use Tivo you must be a Cogeco Cable Internet subscriber?

I do have Cable Internet, but it's not Cogeco, it's Third Party Internet Access (TPIA) but it acutally uses Cogeco lines, so I still can't get Tivo? Please tell me that's not how it works.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to jpaik

to jpaik
»www.kelownadailycourier. ··· 0ee.html

Translation: We blew $32 million trying to do IPTV so we gave up and partnered with TiVo instead.

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

1 edit

Cogeco_Peter to stiffler

to stiffler
said by stiffler:

Cogeco_Peter, I was reading the Globe & Mail story and is it true to use Tivo you must be a Cogeco Cable Internet subscriber?

I do have Cable Internet, but it's not Cogeco, it's Third Party Internet Access (TPIA) but it acutally uses Cogeco lines, so I still can't get Tivo? Please tell me that's not how it works

To qualify for the TiVo package a Cogeco residential internet subscription is required. This is due to how our provisioning system works with the new TiVo equipment and how the new features and guide are communicated. A new modem is also required.

Unfortunately, TPIA customers who wish to order the TiVo package will need to also sign up for a Cogeco internet package directly with us.
Pilo101
join:2014-08-20
Ancaster, ON

Pilo101 to jpaik

to jpaik
Peter, so the Globe story (and there is still nothing on the cogeco side, fail) indicated a $20 a month rental for the TiVo DVR, $7 per each additional TV...so does that mean that someone could simple swap their existing DVR (already have Internet and TV) with the TiVo for the new rental on existing plans/rates?
cavan
Premium Member
join:2003-09-08
Cobourg, ON

cavan to Cogeco_Peter

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Peter
Cogeco_Peter, you're scaring me with talk of requiring a new modem. As you know I've been waiting for this for a while due to my issues with the current whole home setup. I have a Cisco DPC3008 - is this compatible?

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord to jpaik

to jpaik
And will the netflix traffic count against your monthly cap?

tbonez
@108.170.132.x

tbonez

Anon

Not just the Netflix traffic, what about all the other features like the guide that gets information from the internet ets.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.
join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC

Farchord

Well I was more looking at Netflix because I mean, guide downloading really won't use alot of bandwidth, but Netflix will...

chdude3
join:2003-07-29
Oakville, ON

chdude3 to cavan

to cavan
said by cavan:

Cogeco_Peter, you're scaring me with talk of requiring a new modem. As you know I've been waiting for this for a while due to my issues with the current whole home setup. I have a Cisco DPC3008 - is this compatible?

I'm in the same boat. I had a number of modem issues that took a few months to get resolved, and ultimately it was a switch to Turbo 20 (soon to be Turbo 30) and a DPC3008 that finally cleared up all our issues.

I also don't like renting the boxes. I'm hoping that they are available for purchase for a reasonable rate.

Definitely interested, but I need to learn more about this service and what it offers. We are on the verge of cancelling TV services, so if it's not customizable in terms of available content, I don't think this is going to sway me. We already have so many Netflix clients that Cogeco's integration isn't going to be a particularly big plus for us.
cavan
Premium Member
Cobourg, ON

cavan

Premium Member

said by chdude3:

I also don't like renting the boxes. I'm hoping that they are available for purchase for a reasonable rate.

I have a different view on that having come from the rogers system where our pvr was replaced 3 or 4 times. Even now, my whole home system would be getting swapped out if TiVo wasn't imminent. My experience with this type of equipment has been so poor that I don't think I'd ever buy one and take responsibility warranty issues and after warranty replacements. But that's just my take...

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter to Pilo101

to Pilo101
Sorry for the delay in the response. I am going to try to answer everyone at once. If I miss something I apologize in advance - it's not intentional, just a lot of information to share. Here we go:
said by Pilo101:

Peter, so the Globe story (and there is still nothing on the cogeco side, fail) indicated a $20 a month rental for the TiVo DVR, $7 per each additional TV...so does that mean that someone could simple swap their existing DVR (already have Internet and TV) with the TiVo for the new rental on existing plans/rates?

Our official launch date is Monday, November 3rd. On that date our site will be updated with pricing information.

I can confirm the pricing that was reported. The TiVo is a multi TV solution. The T6 box for the main TV will be $20 per month rental and the TiVo mini will be $7 per month rental. The TiVo works with you current channel subscription, but it is required to have one of the Cogeco internet packaged. An installation is required for TiVo, and this cannot be swapped at the store-front location.
said by cavan:

The TiVo service requires a new modem, which differs from those currently offered to customers. So, if you were to upgrade to TiVo, the technician would be required to swap your modem.
said by Farchord:

And will the netflix traffic count against your monthly cap?

Any usage, including Netflix, will still count towards your usage cap, as it does currently.
said by tbonez :

Not just the Netflix traffic, what about all the other features like the guide that gets information from the internet ets.

The TiVo units will use a small amount of your usage for guide information, VOD content art, etc. This usage amounts to about 1Gb per month and will not be differentiated on your usage statement. On a typical 30 day month, this information breaks down to less than 40Mb a day.
said by chdude3:

I'm in the same boat. I had a number of modem issues that took a few months to get resolved, and ultimately it was a switch to Turbo 20 (soon to be Turbo 30) and a DPC3008 that finally cleared up all our issues.

Definitely interested, but I need to learn more about this service and what it offers. We are on the verge of cancelling TV services, so if it's not customizable in terms of available content, I don't think this is going to sway me. We already have so many Netflix clients that Cogeco's integration isn't going to be a particularly big plus for us.

The TiVo system requires a modem swap. The modems have been thoroughly tested, including in the field, to ensure they work correctly. We are confident the solution will work for our customers.

The TiVo service will be detailed on our website started Monday. You will be able to learn more about it's features by checking back then. Here's a brief overview:

It includes the Netflix integration, which makes watching Netflix as easy as changing your channel - no more switching inputs or watching on another device.

It features a 1Tb hard drive and 6 tuners.

TiVo also allows users to stream content to iOS devices in the home. The big feature here is that it also allows you to download a recording to your iOS device and watch it anywhere at your leisure. The TiVo is completely integrates with the iOS devices (through an app on the app store) (pause on your TV and pick it up on you Ipad where you left off). More to come on Android devices in the future.

TiVo is a Whole Home solution. It will allow you to move between rooms and pick up where you left off on any of the TVs.

It has also upgraded search features and will include classic TiVo capabilities such as customized recommendation and automatic recordings. Suggestions and search will also show Netflix data. All is based on the "Thumbs Up/Down" rating system.

Currently there is no option to purchase a TiVo solution and it must be rented.

As for the TV packages... check back early on Monday morning for more on that front.

bandwidth
@185.8.238.x

bandwidth to tbonez

Anon

to tbonez
All APP traffic (ie; youtube/netflix) use be counted toward monthly bitcaps.
cavan
Premium Member
Cobourg, ON

cavan to Cogeco_Peter

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Peter
Cogeco_Peter,

I have the business service with 13 static ip addresses. Will I be able to maintain this setup and get TiVo?

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

1 edit

Cogeco_Peter

said by cavan:

Cogeco_Peter,

I have the business service with 13 static ip addresses. Will I be able to maintain this setup and get TiVo?

The TiVo solution will only be available to our residential customers when it launches. Sorry.

Thanks,
Peter

chdude3
join:2003-07-29
Oakville, ON

chdude3 to Cogeco_Peter

to Cogeco_Peter
said by Cogeco_Peter:

I can confirm the pricing that was reported. The TiVo is a multi TV solution. The T6 box for the main TV will be $20 per month rental and the TiVo mini will be $7 per month rental.

Peter, is there a standalone price for the boxes?

I have a feeling this is not going to be a value added proposition for me, although kudos to Cogeco for at least trying. If I could completely customize my channel lineup and roll that with the TiVo service, then I'd be interested. The fact that, for example, I can't pick one channel from the Value Pack to add on its own to my service is patently ridiculous to me.

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

said by chdude3:

TiVo is available, at minimum, as a 2 TV solution.

As I mentioned earlier, check back Monday regarding channel packages.

Thanks!
Peter
cavan
Premium Member
Cobourg, ON

cavan to Cogeco_Peter

Premium Member

to Cogeco_Peter
said by Cogeco_Peter:

The TiVo solution will only be available to our residential customers when it launches. Sorry.

OK, but my TV service is residential. I moved to the business internet to remain within your acceptable use policy. I am at a residential address and have a whole home system that is not working (per our discussion in the direct forum).

Are you able to put a second modem in to run the TiVo service?

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

said by cavan:

Are you able to put a second modem in to run the TiVo service?

You would be able to have TiVo if the account had a residential internet service active. So you would need to sign up for residential internet as well(we would put in a second modem) I wasn't aware of this restriction when we first spoke, sorry.

-Peter
cavan
Premium Member
Cobourg, ON

cavan

Premium Member

Well... that's unfortunate. I'm already paying $200/mo for unlimited internet service, I'm really not that interested in purchasing another internet service just to enable TiVo - which is only needed as the replacement for the whole home service that I have and which does not work.

In summary:
- I'm paying for your most expensive internet offering with unlimited usage
- I'm paying for a Whole Home PVR service which is not working and Cogeco knows there are issues which cannot be resolved
- In order to get a working whole home setup from Cogeco, TiVo is my only option
- Cogeco is requiring me to purchase a second internet service before it will allow me to upgrade to TiVo

My options appear to be to buy a second internet service to enable Tivo or switch my television service to Shaw.

I'd rather stay with Cogeco but Cogeco should be willing to meet me halfway by enabling a secondary modem that will only be used for the TiVo setup. As I'm already paying for unlimited use at this location this should not be an issue.

Thank you,
Cavan Kelly

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

said by cavan:

I'd rather stay with Cogeco but Cogeco should be willing to meet me halfway by enabling a secondary modem that will only be used for the TiVo setup. As I'm already paying for unlimited use at this location this should not be an issue.

I understand your concern. The accounts are separated and are treated separately by different teams. The response that I received earlier is that TiVo will not be available to business customers. I have forwarded your concerns and hope to know more shortly. It may be Monday before I receive an answer for you.

Thanks,
Peter
Pilo101
Ancaster, ON

Pilo101 to Cogeco_Peter

to Cogeco_Peter
Peter, thanks for the detailed reply. Two more questions, more technical...the current cable set up has coax coming into the home, going directly to the box, and directly to the modem...which in my case I go Cat6 to my wireless router.

I am surmising that with TiVo, this new modem will have to have an Ethernet hardline to the TiVo? Can you confirm, because if so, I need to run that before I do anything.

I also assume that I can still use my own wireless router and not be limited to a built-in wireless in the modem. That would kill this for me.

Please let me know.

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

said by Pilo101:

I am surmising that with TiVo, this new modem will have to have an Ethernet hardline to the TiVo?

No, everything runs through Coax to the modem for communication. No need to run Ethernet.
said by Pilo101:

also assume that I can still use my own wireless router and not be limited to a built-in wireless in the modem.

I am checking on this for you. The TiVo modem is a wireless modem, not sure if bridging is supported or not. I am sending this off, but likely won't hear back until Monday. I will let you know ASAP.
Cogeco_Peter

Cogeco_Peter

said by Cogeco_Peter:

Just got a quick answer with more to follow on Monday.

The modem will allow for access points with no bridging. Meaning you can setup separate devices as APs in the home. Currently, I am waiting on an answer back as to if bridging will work. It may cause issues with how the Minis communicate with the main T6. As mentioned earlier, I will know much more on Monday and will be happy to share.

Thanks!
Peter
Pilo101
Ancaster, ON

Pilo101

I think we may be good, I used to bridge for my media but no longer. All I have now is my modem wired to my router and my router is my wireless access point. I want to avoid getting into the situation (like some other isp's) where they have their modems with built in wireless and that is the only way to have a wireless network. I am very particular about my network set-up and security through my router and want to keep using it. As long as I can wire my router to the modem to use as my primary access point, I am happy. If the modem and TiVo need to communicate wirelessly in parallel, no issue. It seems that that is the case.
bubbabyte
join:2011-10-05

bubbabyte to Cogeco_Peter

to Cogeco_Peter
said by Cogeco_Peter:

said by chdude3:

TiVo is available, at minimum, as a 2 TV solution.

As I mentioned earlier, check back Monday regarding channel packages.

Thanks!
Peter

So you need at least 2 tv's to get a tivo? Can you shed some light on alternative new dvr solutions from cogeco. I asked a CSR about this last month and was told new devices are coming in november, but he may have been referring to the tivo. Does cogeco have any plans to move to something besides the pace and motorola boxes that are horribly sluggish and literally years behind other providers? I only own 1 tv and a pace box so a tivo wouldn't work for me i guess, but a new dvr would sure be nice.

Cogeco_Peter
Burlington, ON

Cogeco_Peter

said by bubbabyte:

So you need at least 2 tv's to get a tivo?

Currently this is correct. TiVo is a multi TV solution.
said by bubbabyte:

Can you shed some light on alternative new dvr solutions from cogeco.

TiVo is our latest product offering and I have no further information about any new solutions. Sorry.
Cogeco_Peter

Cogeco_Peter to jpaik

to jpaik
For those interested, the information is now available on our website. This includes some promotions on the units:

TiVo Information

TiVo Receivers

We are also very excited to offer new packaging for cable TV that is much more customizable, just in time for TiVo. More information can be found here:

New Flex Packages and Pick Packages

Thanks!
Peter