Search similar:

uniqs
jrpa271
join:2014-10-24
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits

jrpa271

[Video] Black tv screen(Solved)

Hello ! Just wondering if I should be concerned about 3 different times i have gotten a completely blank black screen with only the following lines at the left top of the screen:

Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shribe)
Kernel 2.4.24 on an i686

dasdec login:

thanks for any help in advance

also the following -

Seems this is part of Emergency Alert System , but i was watching channel 116 and the program just stopped and the black screen showed up. It would not change for about 2 minutes when i started pressing the "last" button on the remote.
cheeseman
join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA

cheeseman

[Video] Re: Black tv screen

Sounds like EAS switched you to any number of local access channels that had a computer connected but no software running.
jrpa271
Grand Rapids, MI

jrpa271

So it does not mean anything to me just that i have to screw around with the remote to get the station back ? Ignore it ?

As I posted this it happened again ! Ihave has comcast off and on since 2009 and have never seen this stuff before. Again I have ot press the " last " button 2 or 3 times before my channel comes back.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by jrpa271:

Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shribe)
Kernel 2.4.24 on an i686

dasdec login:

I'm getting that today (30 Oct) and 3 times in less than 8 hours. Screen goes black, then get that verbage. Happened to me on Channel 56 (USA) and the other 2 times on channel 112 (American Heroes) -- also in the GR area.

Any other ideas or do you still reckon it's quirky EAS?
jrpa271
Grand Rapids, MI

jrpa271

Click for full size
Here is a screen capture of it :

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx

1 edit

FureverFurry

Premium Member

That screenshot is exactly what I get ... except mine is on the TV screen.
jrpa271
Grand Rapids, MI

jrpa271

That is my tv screen.

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Over on the Comcast forums, an actual Comcast employee is advising to unplug the AC adapter for about 30 seconds. AND he's asking for the make/model of the televisions.

Wonder if that's a polite way of blaming customer equipment, or a subtle hint that we have to buy "approved" Comcast televisions ?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by FureverFurry:

Wonder if that's a polite way of blaming customer equipment, or a subtle hint that we have to buy "approved" Comcast televisions ?

So do you think we'll be able to start leasing TV sets from Comcast, so they can't do that then?

Maybe they can set up a nationwide program with Rent-A-Center and Aaron's.
jrpa271
Grand Rapids, MI

jrpa271

That was a thread i started trying to get help for myself then that lady jumped in and the comcast person is now helping that individual using my thread. And if you would look at the pic i posted you would see that it is a tuner card not a tv that i am using.

So how comcast support guy can try to point to a customers equipment i do not understand at all. I am running winxp pro with no internet on that machine and the supplied tv app from Hauppauge Computer. Winxp does not use linux nor does the tv app. And red hat 9 has had an end of live a few years ago.

Hopefully someone here will be able to say just ignore it or who to call at comcast to fix their system.

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by jrpa271:

That was a thread i started trying to get help for myself then that lady jumped in and the comcast person is now helping that individual using my thread. And if you would look at the pic i posted you would see that it is a tuner card not a tv that i am using

Apologies for "jumping in" but having the same issue and I thought it better to ADD rather than lots of topics of the same issue.
MODS: Feel free to delete my posts.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to jrpa271

to jrpa271

Re: [Video] Black tv screen(Solved)

Pretty sure the screen that is being displayed is the actual EAS channel itself. When an EAS isn't being broadcast that's the default screen. It's possible the equipment malfunctioned during a required weekly or monthly test and the forced channel tune as it's called got hung up or delayed and switched too late to see the EAS message. To make it stop if it's an erroneous issue would be to restart the set top box by removing the power plug from the back of the device and reinsert it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Mike Wolf

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry

Re: [Video] Re: Black tv screen

No I think it's more of an issue of a possible glitch with the hardware that could possibly be caused by a screwy HDMI or HDCP signal if one is being used. It's better to cover all the bases.

caster
@198.41.85.x

caster to FureverFurry

Anon

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

Over on the Comcast forums, an actual Comcast employee is advising to unplug the AC adapter for about 30 seconds. AND he's asking for the make/model of the televisions.

Sounds like your clueless Comcast person reading from some script.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

To make it stop if it's an erroneous issue would be to restart the set top box by removing the power plug from the back of the device and reinsert it.

Wait, isn't that what the comcast person suggested?
cheeseman
join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA

2 recommendations

cheeseman to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf

Re: [Video] Re: Black tv screen

An HDCP problem would not cause a Red Hat login prompt to appear, because none of the boxes out there are using any variation of any Red Hat implementation.

The Red Hat login is on a channel that should be used for EAS purposes but isn't displaying any EAS-related content right now. There's an errant EAS signal force-tuning your box.
jrpa271
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

jrpa271

As far as the boxes using Red Hat one would think they would upgrade from a version that had an end of life in 2004. Thats 10 years ago.

And if you go to the thread i started at comcasts forum at infinity the next to last post has the comcast guy explaining and apologizing to the person who hijacked the thread.

But in the end it was a hardware failure at Comcast the caused the problem and the equipment has been replaced.

And for future reference here is the response I recived from Hauppage Computer Works.

Hello,

The WinTV software uses no Linux. It's built on Microsoft's .Net framework.
If something is being displayed in the WinTV software it means it's coming
from the video signal.

Regards,
Ray Rodriguez
rayr@hauppauge.com
Technical Support
Hauppauge Computer Works
New York
»www.hauppauge.com

" If something is being displayed in the WinTV software it means it's coming from the video signal "
says it all.

I think this solves the problem.