Search similar:

uniqs

buzz_4_20
join:2003-09-20
Dover, NH

2 recommendations

buzz_4_20

WOW

People are dropping TV Subs like they can't afford it anymore.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

3 recommendations

maartena

Premium Member

said by buzz_4_20:

People are dropping TV Subs like they can't afford it anymore.

They probably still CAN afford it, they just don't want it anymore. 200+ channels, and its still hard to find anything good to watch. On top of that, TV subscribers are paying hefty portions of their monthly bill to sports, and costs are rising.

Some of those 184,000 may have moved to other television services from other companies, keep that in mind. But yeah, more and more people are dumping television service because the quality is going down, and the price keeps going up.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

There is tremendous competition for your entertainment dollar and linear TV with it's 33% commercials is a dinosaur. The content companies are racking up record profits, so they must be doing something right.

Operators are suffering from loss of eyeballs and will if they don't adapt, but the content companies are monetizing it through other means and channels and have skillfully won.

The big push is to split content creation w/ properties because we are moving to from a I can touch it, to I can own it model, and IP ownership in 2014 is like having a back 40 in Iowa back in the agri heyday. Just this week MSG is spiltting, TW did it, Comcast will get smart, etc.

That is why operators want to remain relevant when they are becoming irrelevant. Sure they can ride on their monopoly pipes and obscene margins for the time being, but wireless isn't going away nor new disruptive tech.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

Mystic95Z to buzz_4_20

to buzz_4_20
They actually gained me as a sub (Cancelled DTV). I wanted to go just OTA and streaming using the HTPC, I built, but there were a couple of channels the wife likes to watch so that was a deal breaker.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to buzz_4_20

Premium Member

to buzz_4_20
people are just getting fed up with the bi-annual rate hikes, lousy customer service and all around "our shit don't stink" attitudes.