spc
Search similar:

uniqs
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

[News] Windows 7: Officially Dead This Week

With no funeral, retrospectives, accolades, or notes of sadness, the Windows 7 era has come to an end. »www.pcmag.com/article2/0 ··· 6,00.asp

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

4 recommendations

darcilicious

Premium Member

Hahaha, that was a funny article. (Windows 7 worse than Vista??)

Remind me to stop clicking on links that go to PC Rag, I mean Mag.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat

MVM

Remind me to stop clicking on links that go to PC Rag, I mean Mag.

You were right the first time.
wolfy339
join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA

wolfy339 to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Hahaha, that was a funny article. (Windows 7 worse than Vista??)

Microsoft can pry Windows 7 from my cold dead hands. Never did like Vista all that much. XP was good for what it was.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I was a big fan of Vista, so I wasn't one of those screaming loudly complaining about it. Having said that, what planet is this guy living on? We are left to conclude that this was a terrible release of Windows (never mind all the people who feel differently) because he said so.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
That is a funny article - I used to like John D (it was awhile ago though) but good god - without much work I got my Win 7 to be on a network with an XP machine just fine and it only took a minute or 2 to be printing on our Epson All in One.

This means I will have to get Win 7 Pro for my wife soon to replace her XP Os...

Aoxxt
join:2010-12-13
Dearborn, MI

Aoxxt to BillRoland

to BillRoland
said by BillRoland:

I was a big fan of Vista, so I wasn't one of those screaming loudly complaining about it. Having said that, what planet is this guy living on? We are left to conclude that this was a terrible release of Windows (never mind all the people who feel differently) because he said so.

Vista was better than XP and I would use Vista anyday over Windows 8

Willy
Premium Member
join:2000-09-24
USA

Willy to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Well that's ridiculous.
I resisted switching from XP which I really liked but I was forced to by circumstances and I couldn't be happier with V7.
Also any comparison of V7 to Vista is also ridiculous.
Vista IMHO is a step above ME, I had problems with both.

My only experience with V8.1 is on an HP tablet so I can't comment as to how it would work on a PC.
I will say that personally have no desire to tap all over my monitor to get things done.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

2 recommendations

mbernste to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
It's John Dvorak who wrote that article. The guy never gets anything right yet he somehow still manages to make a living writing about technology. How he does that, I don't know but that in itself is impressive given his record.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
I'd rather use 8 than Vista or 7. If I wasn't able to download shell modifications though, I'd choose Vista, XP, or 2K.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

4 recommendations

siljaline to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Not so fast ...
quote:
Those breathless headlines you've seen are all wet. Windows 7 will continue to be available on new PCs and in retail packaging for at least another year and likely much longer. You may have to spend an extra 10 or 20 bucks to get a new Windows 7 machine starting next week, but the five-year-old stalwart isn't going anywhere. Here are the facts.

On Oct. 31, Microsoft will stop selling OEMs licenses that allow them to sell new PCs with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, or Ultimate pre-installed. Windows 7 Professional isn't affected, and Microsoft has committed to giving one year advance notice prior to the end of OEM license sales for Pro. OEMs are allowed to sell out the stock they have on hand, but aren't given new Home or Ultimate licenses. [...]
»www.infoworld.com/articl ··· ore.html

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

goalieskates to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
People still read PC Mag? Why?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to 47717768

MVM

to 47717768
Seriously?
said by John C. Dvorak :
Windows 7 refuses to talk to the other machines on the network. It won't talk to one of the Epson printers and new drivers cannot make it work. It turns its nose up at the old Network Attached Storage (NAS) device I use. There were some patches that allowed it to see the NAS for a while, then it crapped out and the connection never worked again.
So my incompatible hardware and lack of PC skill makes a bad OS? Then I saw it was Dvorak and all was clear.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

1 recommendation

Msradell to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
This certainly isn't a very consumer-oriented decision. By far the biggest majority of PC users have stated that they will not by Windows 8 or any of its derivatives. By making this decision prior to releasing Windows 10 Microsoft is alienating a large portion of their user base. This especially applies to the corporate world.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

The corporate world already has Windows 7 imaging processes in place and purchase machines with downgrade rights, so they aren't really affected. This really only affects consumers.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

2 recommendations

Davesnothere to Msradell

Premium Member

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

This certainly isn't a very consumer-oriented decision. By far the biggest majority of PC users have stated that they will not by Windows 8 or any of its derivatives. By making this decision prior to releasing Windows 10 Microsoft is alienating a large portion of their user base. This especially applies to the corporate world.

Three things come to MY mind :

(1) It's a money-grab on the Windows licenses, because any 'John Q. Public' who wants WIN 7 will simply have to order/seek a PC with 7 Pro installed, instead of one of the Home editions.

HP and Dell are more than willing to get into the middle of THIS (and they periodically do ADVERTISE so), as long as a few extra bucks are involved for the bother, as well as a fatter markup on the hardware (and there gladly WILL be, from most JQP's who understand the alternatives, and who are not willing to wait for WIN 10's release, to buy their next PC).

MS will happily take their share too, in the extra cost of the 7 Pro licenses.

(2) More people will embrace Linux, as it (Mint Cinnamon being a prime example) mimics legacy Windows UIs rather well, and as such will not scare as many folks as earlier Linux distros did.

(3) Some folks, both JQP's and Biz, will choose to WAIT for WIN 10, and PC makers will lose some sales from THAT decision, and will try to compensate by promoting scenarios (1) and (2).
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

The corporate world already has Windows 7 imaging processes in place and purchase machines with downgrade rights, so they aren't really affected. This really only affects consumers.

Yes, and MS has conveniently left the door open for the Win 7 Pro licenses which those folks will want.

Consumers (aka JQP's) can still have them too, but at a [for them] premium price over a Home license.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Yep, I have an extra license for my next computer.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to 47717768

to 47717768
I don't get worked up about this stuff. It's weird to see people freaking out.

I get every new windows version that comes out (since Windows 2.0). Never had a problem with any of them.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Same here, since Windows 95. Windows 2000 didn't last long due to the lack of 3D video driver support. I buy a new drive and new copy of the OS on release day. Part of this is because I'm in the business and need to support them so I use them in their natural state. While I'm not wild about the Windows 8.1 interface I can use it.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

....Windows 2000 didn't last long due to the lack of 3D video driver support....

That was somewhat true for JQP, but JQP avoided Win2K more because it costed nearly twice the price of Win 98 or Win Millennium.

OTOH, much of the business world stayed with Win2K because they had waited a long time for it to begin with, and/or because XP Pro came along only 18 months later, and IT depts did not want to change twice in such a short period of time.

Believe it or not, SOME businesses skipped XP altogether and went to Vista in 2007, while others took XP only when SP2 came out, in August of 2004.

takeahike
You sure ask a lot of dumb questions
Premium Member
join:2005-01-07
Catacombs

4 edits

takeahike to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Well . . . Dvorak's been around for ages but he's always hated Microsoft and therefore he's never been a big Windows fan. He used to battle with the other editors in the magazine over operating systems and always pushed OS/2 over Windows. He's just letting off steam and doesn't acknowledge that Windows 7 is the most popular OS Microsoft has released and is used by half of the installed base. His networking problems are probably just his own fault. When Microsoft tries to end extended support for 7 in 2020 we'll see if there's the same outcry that there was for XP (probably depends on the reception of 10 and its progeny).
takeahike

takeahike to Willy

Premium Member

to Willy
said by Willy:

Vista IMHO is a step above ME, I had problems with both.

You really can't compare XP, Vista, 7 or 8 to Me because Me was just a feature upgrade to 98 that gave us a hint of what was coming in XP and used a DOS based kernel (like 98 and 95) where XP, Vista, 7 and 8 are true 32- or 64-bit OSs using the NT kernel (2000 was too but was not aimed at consumers). Me was really the worst thing I ever saw from Microsoft--I'm sure that they just rushed it out as a placeholder and enticer for XP while everyone was waiting for it but apparently something got in the works that made it way less stable than 98 or 95 (which weren't great but tolerable for their day).

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to takeahike

MVM

to takeahike
Well back then O/S 2 was leaps and bounds better at the time... would have been interesting if it had been able to stick around.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
In the software business, there are levels of death. End of licensing is the first death, not the last.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 edit

siljaline to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
And *(in)* it yet another report stating mainstream Windows 7 support to be extended.
quote:
Microsoft execs think, or so I'm told, that they made a mistake in extending the period of Extended Support for Windows XP by two years. I completely agree and thought so at the time. Windows XP was and remains a plague that needs to be extinguished.

The problem they faced was the ice-cold reaction of customers to Windows Vista. They face a somewhat similar problem now with the success of Windows 7 and the poor reception of Windows 8.
»www.zdnet.com/look-for-w ··· 0035149/
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Click for full size
Microsoft is banking on Win 10, or what comes after it to keep business customers when Win 7 goes eol in 2020. They already want to abandon Win 8 in name so people will think Win 10 is different.

It was a mistake to extended the support for xp, even after the extension some still thought they were entitled to lifetime updates. It was their own fault they ignored the well known eol. Ten years of support from a one time payment is not the standard in software support by any means.

Sundog
I'm an analog man in a digital world
Premium Member
join:2003-12-12
Tucson, AZ

Sundog to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

People still read PC Mag? Why?

"Because it's there? And have read it for years."

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

....Ten years of support from a one time payment is not the standard in software support by any means.

Yet the irony is that M$ STILL refuses to consider seriously just how many folks would be willing to pony up to them, say $20, to continue the updates for XP for perhaps yet five more years, just to not be forced to learn a new UI.

(We recently proved this last point to them by our cold reaction to Win 8.x, and the PC makers were hurt by this too.)

That $100 would be a lot more money than they would pull in from a license for a new OS these days.

And it would cost M$ next to nothing to do this (servers & maint), as they are already being paid royally by a few large players to do the same for THEM.

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768
Since we both have Vista laptops that can upgrade to Windows 7 but not 8 (which I actually like on my desktop), we intended to find a copy of Windows 7 to buy and upgrade them, so we can use our Office 365 licenses (don't work with Vista). The copies available legit online were mostly OEM versions, which everyone says was fine. But now, will they go away? Does anyone have a legitimate source for Win 7 that we'll be able to buy in a few weeks, when we have time to upgrade? Folks here recommended some online sources, but they were indeed OEM.