Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

[Classes] 6.0.2 Monk

While I'm still learning the finer points of Mistweaving, I have a gripe regarding the renewing mist and uplift mechanics. There is so much RNG in this that it feels like I have no real control over uplift to make it a reliable chi spender.

If the dmg is light, the renewing mist smart-heal-hop generally falls on those who took splash dmg and heals folks up so I don't need to uplift. I still need to keep the renewing mist spreading because it's duration is low and trying to keep it on 6 people takes some focus. When dmg is high, the renewing mist spreads to 3 folks quickly, but the 8 sec cd means I might have to uplift 3 targets that really need it, plus 2 or 3 that already had it from the low dmg phase but may or may not need it now... and there's a cast time on uplift (not long).

Maybe the big problem is that I was in a sloppy LFR, so better raid discipline will make this less of a problem... but casting uplift for the sake of only 3 of the people with renewing mist on them actually needing the heal got frustrating... and then watching all of those other health bars with no renewing mist just keep falling... not benefiting from the uplift. Chi sphere detonation is also a gamble (that was apparently nerfed) because I need folks to be in range of the spheres for that to do any good. So I have to assess everyone's proximity to spheres as well as guage who the lucky 6 were to have renewing mist on them (because I only determine 2 of the six and the first has to be planned at least 9 seconds out).

Monk healing is like playing speed chess. It's fun, but frustrating when I make a poor guess in the moment and then have to hope something goes my way to save lives. Priest and Druid healing has so much more of a sense of control, this is taking a lot of getting used to.

okay, end rant. Any mistweaver tips for handling these frustrations would be most appreciated.

P Ness
You'Ve Forgotten 9-11 Already
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
way way out

P Ness

Premium Member

no way to handle it other then the help of other healers.

this is the biggest grip about mistweaving on the forums exactly what you have described.

this is the only class right now where the smart heals are not that smart...lol

only solution since mana is almost impossible to blow is instant heals while channeling.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

silver lining: I seem to understand enough to be frustrated by the same things others are. Now I just have to find a way to beat the RNG... or accept it and lean on my fellow healers more.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by Immer:

accept it and lean on my fellow healers more.

I don't think that should have the level of disdain I detect.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

said by Adalicia:

said by Immer:

accept it and lean on my fellow healers more.

I don't think that should have the level of disdain I detect.

fair point, the disdain comes from the fact that I was working so hard in a bad LFR and was top healer... in my i518 gear. It was painful. However, with my regular raiding group, we have some excellent healers so the disdain doesn't really apply there.

edit: in that case it is just my pride that hurts... lol

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to Immer

to Immer
The mastery sucks too. Places balls for players to run through to heal? Did they not learn from the Lightwell.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw

Premium Member

One slightly off topic response/question: When I am raiding as DPS, 9 times out of 10, when I die it comes as a complete surprise to me. The 1 time it doesn't is when I know I did something stupid (like forget to get out of the fire). For normal damage I just depend on the healers to watch my health and I focus on mechanics and dpsing.

I'm not saying that's right. But, I suspect I am not alone.

When I am tanking or healing, it is not as big of a surprise because I keep an eye on my health.

I often wish I had an addon that would alert me when my HP dropped to say 30% or so. That way I could try clicking on that lightwell, eating a Health Stone, or taking a healing potion. Is there such an addon?

Cat5

Cat5

I always keep an eye on everyones health, habit of playing as a healer for 3 years I guess. When I do DPS I'll always pop defensive cooldowns and such when I know big damage is coming up as it makes the healers life easier and as a healer it's very much appreciated, especially if melee do it.

I'll be honest though and says the monk bubbles / lightwell mechanics are largely ignored, and that I do ignore them normally as they just get lost in the players / effects.

Mordred
join:2013-01-02

Mordred to saillaw

to saillaw
I did the same thing before I started tanking. Now when I am DPSing my health bar is located in such a way that I can see it easily. I use SuF which makes it change color at 25% as well.

Cat5

Cat5 to saillaw

to saillaw
said by saillaw:

I often wish I had an addon that would alert me when my HP dropped to say 30% or so. That way I could try clicking on that lightwell, eating a Health Stone, or taking a healing potion. Is there such an addon?

You can set up an alert in Weak Auras 2 which would do it.

madmike
join:2012-03-19
Waterfall, PA

madmike to saillaw

to saillaw
said by saillaw:

Definately is addons for this, i dont remember what addon it is offhand but it lets you know with a high pitched beep.
Im thinking its built into Mics scrolling battle text.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Cat5

Premium Member

to Cat5
said by Cat5:

said by saillaw:

You can set up an alert in Weak Auras 2 which would do it.

+1 for Weak Auras 2. You can select what sound you want it to make from a wide range of sounds. It's not all that intuitive to build a lot of the fancy UI stuff (thankfully importing from the interwebs is fairly straight forward) creating an aura for your own health dropping below a certain threshold is doable.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to madmike

to madmike
said by madmike:

Definately is addons for this, i dont remember what addon it is offhand but it lets you know with a high pitched beep.
Im thinking its built into Mics scrolling battle text.

Yeah I use Miks scrolling battle text also and get the beep when I'm low on health. It's one of those things that I didn't think much of early on but now couldn't live (probably literally) without.