Premium Member
join:2000-08-16
East Puddle
·Shoreham Telephone

1 recommendation

koam

Premium Member

Beware of Intellistream on Belkin Routers if you value Speed

I just spent hours on the phone with Belkin support trying to figure out why my brand new AC 750 Dual Band router F9K1116 was unable to get download and upload speeds, on both wireless and ethernet, that matched what I got on my modem, or even on my old Belkin Play N600 F7D8302 or F7D8301 router.

The learning was that the "Intellistream" setting (a marketing name for QoS) caps out the router's speeds. In the router setup, it asks you to to run a speed test and enter the results on the Intellistream page. Once you put those test results in THAT'S IT. That is the highest speed you will ever get on that router forever....until you turn off Intellistream or put in higher numbers. I had issues with my ISP that had been giving me low speeds. Once I entered those speeds into Intellistream (during the initial setup routine), I was "locked in". (I know i had the power to change them later, but neither I nor the tech support knew that this was the one setting that was screwing everything up.) So if your ISP is having a bad day on the day you install your router, then those conditions become your max until you realize the problem.

Try it yourself. Go to Intellistream or QoS »192.168.0.1/mf_is_qos.html Put in 1M down and 0.1M up. Then run speedtest.net. You're capped at the settings that it has you put in.

Hours on the phone with Belkin Tech Support - even a senior support person, did not get me to this finding. They had to send me a 2nd router, same model.

When I got the router I started taking speed test results at every step...before and after every setting that it had me enter or settings that I was entering on my own. I quickly found that Intellistream was the problem. I returned the non-faulty router with a note explaining this.