Search similar:

uniqs

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter

Brother MFC-7840W

I had it installed via network. I've been using it fine for several years, but the other day it stopped printing from the computer. You can scan to the computer with no problem, and you can use it as a copy machine just fine. After much trouble shooting, I decided to just completely uninstall, and reinstall. Same problem, so I connected it with a USB cable. Still same issue, so I uninstalled, and reinstalled again with USB. Still same thing. Put it back on the network, verify IP and such, and tried to install it on another computer. Same exact issue. I was able to find it on the network, and get it installed, but it won't print. The print job times out, and shows a print job failed message. The LCD screen on the printer says Receiving data. Now I did a fresh install with USB on yet another computer. Still same problem. Reading the great and powerful Google, I found some people saying that this would be caused by a drum issue. The status screen says that I still have 18% drum life left, and that doesn't make sense to me anyway since it copies just fine. Any ideas?
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

Remove the Drum and Cartridge and put them back in. Then Press Clear/Back.
To confirm you are installing a new
drum, press 1.
i When the LCD shows Accepted, close
the front cover.
I got these instructions from my manual for my Brother MFC-7840w. Do this anytime you replace the drum. Maybe this will fix your issue.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

I've been asked what OS I am using. The first computer is Windows 7, the other computer I spoke of is running Windows XP.
Rexter

Rexter to iowaboy

to iowaboy
I'm not sure that I understand your instructions. I do not have a new drum. This one still works fine for a copy job. It prints perfectly. The drum report says it still has 18% drum life. I don't mind getting a new drum if I have to, I just don't want to spend the money on it, only to turn out the printer is trash anyway.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

His instructions might make the printer think it is getting a new drum. You use the old drum again but load it as new. It sometimes works to reset the sensors.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

It doesn't give me options he is speaking of. When you press the clear/back button, it just beeps at you, and doesn't otherwise respond. His instructions are if you actually did install a new drum. Perhaps, there is something I can do to the drum to make the printer think it is new. I do, however think we are barking up the wrong tree, as I can make copies just fine. The drum is working perfectly.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

When you say it was connected using your network, was that the WiFi network or Ethernet cable?

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

It was Ethernet, but currently it is connected to the XP machine VIA USB.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to Rexter

to Rexter
Try printing a test page directly from the printer. Menu 4, menu item 2, menu selection 3.

Also try a hard reset. Menu 4, menu item 3.

Rexter
cloud 9

Rexter

I did the reset, but it didn't really seem to do anything, but I think it reset. When I try the print test, it says "Out of memory"

If I try to print a configuration page, it says printing, but nothing prints. It just stays like that until I turn it off.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver

Out of memory could mean it has bad RAM, which would mean it's toast. Or the memory is full of faxes. See »www.manualslib.com/manua ··· ?page=89