spc
Search similar:

uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Apple Pay survey

How has your experience been with Apple Pay been?
Please answer in terms of convenience, speed and reliability, ignoring the "wow" factor (for example, using it to impress others).
Thanks!

Poll
Are you impressed with Apple Pay?

Yes I prefer using Apple Pay

Not sure

No I prefer using plastic

Don't have a compatible device.

Votes:65

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

It's been way too long since you posted a poll ... .

haroldo
USA

1 edit

haroldo

said by Nezmo:

It's been way too long since you posted a poll ... .

:)
Well... I find it important to 'separate the wheat from the chaff'.
There are tons of posts and threads where people are either shooting products down (mostly from folks that don't use the product) and others defending it.
To me, a thread with a few hundred replies and sub-thread hijacks (and a few heated arguments, insults, followed by the obligatory mod lock) can be difficulty for potential users to decipher and is of little value
Instead, a brief snapshot of opinions from actual users might serve the community better (best?)...of course, IMHO

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
Voted not sure. I haven't been to a place I shop at yet that takes it. The one place I tried with NFC does not. Frustratingly few places so far but it's early.

I'm not going to buy a pack of gum at Walgreens just to say I've used it, lol. That seems to be the norm right now.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

Used it at a Walgreen's, it's great.
We now have a NFC vending machine in my office (no more hunting for stiff unfolded dollar bills!) and I've used it a few times (mainly to show others in the office how it works).
All in all, I think it's fast, easy and convenient.
I will not only use it every chance I can, but will also definitely pick merchants that have it (when there's a convenient choice, like the local Walgreen's versus CVS)

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
I won't chose a vendor just because they take it. I am not here to serve the vendor/store, they are there to serve me. If they have it, great, if not, my trusty debit card will work just fine.

My one attempt at an NFC terminal was rejected as the store doesn't accept Apple Pay. Every store I have been to since has either not had an NFC terminal or, as in the case of CVS (Walgreens is across the street but CVS has my prescriptions), they have it but I know it won't work.

Early days, not enough experience to really vote with anything meaningful.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
If I had a compatible device, I'd be glad to use ApplePay.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to Nezmo

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

I won't chose a vendor just because they take it. I am not here to serve the vendor/store,...

I don't see it as serving anyone other than me. I like it better than the card, I really don't like taking out wallet, fishing for the card, etc. The phone is easier to access. To me, it's like a car's key-less ignition, it's just easier to use (IMHO)

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

I don't see that ApplePay would modify my payment behavior in any way other than the "physical method" for the transaction. I still prefer AMEX and generally choose to patronize businesses that accept it when I have a choice. That's still available to me with ApplePay once I'm able to use it someday with a compatible device. I already use my phone to pay at Starbucks, for example, so that, in itself, isn't a novelty. I suspect that I'd avoid discriminating against a vendor that didn't accept ApplePay, at least for the foreseeable future. Someday that might change, of course...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to haroldo

MVM,

to haroldo
I prefer using Apple Pay mostly for the security benefits. As someone who has had their card skimmed twice at reputable places, I plan to use Apple Pay exclusively when available and also go to places that accept it over those that don't when I can get the same items at both stores.

I've wished American Express would add virtual credit card numbers for many years. Paypal had them a long time ago, and it worked perfectly for buying things online. It's great that Apple Pay offers a similar benefit and works both online and in-store.

The only downside right now is that Apple Pay works with just one of my cards. Looks like that'll change by the end of the year (covering 3 of my 4 cards). Unfortunately the card I use for small, everyday purchases is a Paypal debit card, and I don't expect them to get on board anytime soon.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to haroldo

to haroldo
Where's the option that our banks don't support it yet?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
I just received my iPhone 6 Plus today and don't even know if my cards are supported by Apple Pay yet. I was at whole foods today though and noticed the Apple Pay logo when paying,.......cash.

Personally I'm only really interested in the security aspect of Apple Pay. Obviously I don't expect all such transactions to migrate to Apple Pay in the future (for everyone) but I sure do wish that governing bodies would pass laws that help keep our sensitive information out of the hands of retail stores because they have proven that they are a seriouse source of breaches.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

What does your bank have to do with it? Does Apple Pay not work similar to Google Wallet?

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

said by DarkSithPro:

What does your bank have to do with it? Does Apple Pay not work similar to Google Wallet?

Apple Pay does not transmit your credit card number to the bank, but a one-time random generated token. For this to work, your bank (card issuer) must support the ability to receive the token, verify the authenticity, and then send a "yes/no" command back to the merchant's terminal to complete the purchase. This is why Apple Pay is so secure - no credit card number is revealed at any time, and should hackers get a hold of the token, it won't be of any value to them.

Banks are actively rolling out support for Apple Pay, you can view the list here:

»9to5mac.com/2014/10/23/l ··· smonths/

USAA, for example, announced they will support Apple Pay sometime in November.

What Apple Pay IS like Google Wallet is that if the merchant has NFC enabled systems, and your already setup for Apple pay, it will work.

So for Apple Pay to work, you need:

1) Your card issuer to support Apple Pay
2) The merchant to support and have enabled NFC
3) You setup your Apple Pay in your iPhone with your card information.
Robert

Robert to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I just received my iPhone 6 Plus today and don't even know if my cards are supported by Apple Pay yet.

If you go into Passbook & Apple Pay (Settings -> Passbook & Apple Pay) and then click "Add Credit or Debit Card", and scan one of your credit cards, it will tell you right away if your card issuer supports Apple Pay.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

Thank you for info but I haven't even unboxed it yet. Life was getting in the way, kids, Halloween, family, friends and a particularly annoying neighbor. Today is looking no better in that respect so maybe tomorrow.

Edit:

Damned auto correct,...

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

Thank you for info but I haven't even unbowed it yet. Life was getting in the way, kids, Halloween, family, friends and a particularly annoying neighbor. Today is looking no better in that respect so maybe tomorrow.

iPhone > Life

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to haroldo

to haroldo
I have a AT&T Citibank MC that does not support it. I am going to dump it. Any suggestions for a MC?

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by gjrhine:

I have a AT&T Citibank MC that does not support it. I am going to dump it. Any suggestions for a MC?

I don't use Citi's charge cards, but »online.citibank.com/JRS/ ··· kiedTab1

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Robert

MVM

to Robert
said by Robert:

said by Octavean:

Thank you for info but I haven't even unbowed it yet. Life was getting in the way, kids, Halloween, family, friends and a particularly annoying neighbor. Today is looking no better in that respect so maybe tomorrow.

iPhone > Life

Well played Sir,...!!!

I'll see your "iPhone > Life" and raise you a "Happy Wife = Happy Life",.....

Your move,.....!!!

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

said by Robert:

said by Octavean:

iPhone > Life

Well played Sir,...!!!

I'll see your "iPhone > Life" and raise you a "Happy Wife = Happy Life",.....

Your move,.....!!!

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Happy Life = Happy Divorce

Happy Wife = Happy Divorce

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
My CC isn't supported yet, but when/if it ever is, I'll definitely use it wherever Apple Pay is accepted.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Homunculus:

...wherever Apple Pay is accepted.

How to find stores near you that support Apple Pay
»www.cultofmac.com/300364 ··· loHJA.99

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus

Premium Member

Oh I know... I was just saying if I'm out and about and there happens to be AP available, I'll use it if not paying cash.
purplegoatee
join:2007-03-19
Annapolis, MD

purplegoatee to gjrhine

to gjrhine
I have an unsupported ATT Citi card, as well. I transferred to a Citi Double Cash card. Cash back and supports Apple Pay.

I called USAA and was told that they roll out support on Monday, Nov 3. I'll be loading my USAA card first thing.
purplegoatee

purplegoatee to gjrhine

to gjrhine
I have an unsupported ATT Citi card, as well. I transferred to a Citi Double Cash card. Cash back and supports Apple Pay.

I called USAA and was told that they roll out support on Monday, Nov 3. I'll be loading my USAA card first thing.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to Robert

MVM

to Robert
said by Robert:

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Happy Life = Happy Divorce

Happy Wife = Happy Divorce

Too rich for my blood,..... I fold,.....!!!

I'm keeping the Wife and keeping her as happy as I can

Haven't you heard the expression....."it's cheaper to keep her"? LOL

BTW, I just checked and my main CC is supported by Apple Pay although I do tend to use cash a lot.

Robert
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Robert to purplegoatee

Premium Member

to purplegoatee
said by purplegoatee:

Everything I said pointed to November 7. I wonder if USAA moved that date up.
purplegoatee
join:2007-03-19
Annapolis, MD

purplegoatee

I saw Nov 7 when I did a search, but that wasn't official, so I was pleased when the USAA person told me Nov 3 when I called yesterday. I guess they did move it up or someone was just speculating.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
I was fortunate... my daily use credit card and my debit card are both with banks that support Apple Pay, so I had it going day 1. I was using SoftCard on my Samsung smartphone before I opted to get a 6+.

A couple of the soda machines at one of my workplaces have NFC capabilities, and I will happily frequent larger businesses that support NFC payments over those that don't (realizing that smaller shops/stores may not upgrade their equipment to support NFC as fast as major corporations will). As I work in retail for one of my jobs, I'm fortunate that a couple of our biggest competitors are part of the failure that CurrentC will be, and will happily not shop at them until they realize the errors of their ways.

Funny how SoftCard/ISIS and Google Wallet had been around for a year or more and those retailers didn't mind... but Apple jumps in and they all freak out. Unfortunately their actions affect a lot more than just Apple Pay users... We know that Google Wallet and SoftCard are also affected, but Mastercard PayPass cards, Visa Paywave, and some AmEx cards that had embedded NFC chips are also now unable to use the NFC chip in their cards, having to resort to the more insecure swipe.

Putting the almighty dollar (that those retailers want to eventually save through no credit card transaction fees) over the security of their customers' data... Priceless.