spc
Search similar:

uniqs
your2slow
join:2014-10-31
Canada

your2slow

[Cable] Start blocking inbound ports???

Can anyone advise why start would be blocking port 5876 from the outside in? I'm switching some of my services over to that port and after doing so I'm no longer able to reach the servers. Moved the servers to teksavvy internet and works fine on that port. Move back to start and nothing. I don't even see the hit count on my firewall. So something at start is blocking that port from even reach me.

Just to make sure it wasn't me, I had a few friends do the same. They changed their ssh-d ports to 5876 and they also could not get to their servers.

So that brings me to believe that start is blocking on a port level or perhaps IPS signature is blocking and they are not aware of it?

Not the end of the world as I can switch to any other port, but thought it was interesting that port was not working..

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam

We block port 25 but that's it.

I just tested from a residential connection, port 5876 is not blocked.

When you say you're moving the servers to between a TekSavvy and our connection, what exactly are you doing?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to your2slow

Premium Member

to your2slow
I just tested too without any problem. If you want to PM me your account #, and the IP's source/destination and which port is on which end I'd be happy to take a peak.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to your2slow

Premium Member

to your2slow
I used some non-standard ports when I was on Start cable and nothing except 25 was blocked. Could it be a firewall issue with your router or server?
your2slow
Canada

your2slow

Well it wasn't but all of a sudden, after writing this post and sending an email to support and nothing changing on my end, its connecting now. I'm also able to connect out too on that port. Even stranger, all the other servers I've setup for friends are now also working on that port....

hmmmmmmm what's going on here..

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Maybe switching between providers let the line on the Start modem "reset" itself, just call it fucking magic (FM) and go with it :P
your2slow
Canada

your2slow

lol.. remember I also tried to an outside server and with a buddies start connection. Wasn't working and now it is too. This is something more then just my connection/internet. It was anyone on start cable ... well it works so I'll call it FM and go with it

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

No changes this end either.