uniqs
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to InvalidError

Premium Member

to InvalidError

Re: Fiber vs VDSL & Cable? What's the advantage?

said by InvalidError:

said by Gone:

said by giggabotch:

GPON may still be aways away for most of us. G.Fast is the Telecoms next last step before FTTH for the masses on both cable and Telecoms

Not for Bell it isn't. The next step after pair bonded VDSL2 with vectoring is GPON.

Pair bonding does not make a whole lot of sense since it doubles the cost of providing less reliable service compared to cutting loop lengths in half by bringing DSLAMs closer. I doubt Bell will use bonding to a significant extent.

Telus is already using it for internet access - their cost study has already been viewed & adjusted by the CRTC, and subsequently approved (2014-537). Its now available for GAS services.
»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· =sharing
taraf
join:2011-05-07
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

taraf to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Which is why Bell is not rewiring all homes. They're only doing it when they order a service that requires it. Once you're on fibre that's it. Only when the copper plant degrades to the point of being uneconomical to repair or when scrap revenue exceeds all other costs do you rewire all the customers. That is, unless you're Sasktel, then you rewire everyone right away and rip out the copper when you do.

The cost of copper has already reached that point. It is actually profitable to lay fibre optic cable, rip up the copper, and re-sell the copper. That's why Bell has started doing that in Quebec and Ontario, and why new building developments are getting fibre optic instead of copper.

Right now, Bell would be pretty dumb not to stockpile the copper they're pulling up to use in areas that haven't been upgraded to FTTH (instead of buying new cable), but make no mistake, they've been doing it for years. As for why it's taking Bell longer? There's a slight difference in population between Sasktel's territory and Ontario/Quebec, which translates into a slight difference in the number of households affected....

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to Cloneman

MVM

to Cloneman
Another reason that it's taking Bell longer is that they're still actively deploying new copper facilities (FTTN). My building was moved to FTTN only maybe two months ago.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

1 edit

geokilla

Replied to two recent threads posting the same thing my question is related to the topic discussed:

Given that I can finally get VDSL 25/10 at my house, is it worthwhile to switch to VDSL from cable? I see that there are some advantages of VDSL with little to no disadvantages whatsoever (aside from internal wiring issues). I saw the following being mentioned as advantages for VDSL:

Lower pings and latency
Dedicated connection to the DSLAM so no local node congestion
Tends to be more reliable and more suitable for the power user (gamers?)

Am I missing anything? It seems that I should give VDSL a try given my troubles with Teksavvy cable in the past year.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

jmck

for gaming and a power user yes, you get more options too for things like static IPs and IPv6 (depending on ISP). however since you're limited to 25/10 you just need to make sure you're OK with that speed.