Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

WatchESPN.com from Canada

I want to watch the womens BBall team from Clemson this year.
They are in the ACC conference. Apparently one cannot get an internet package directly but have to have an affiliation through ones ISP provided to ESPN.
I checked bell aliant and they suck in this regard, the only thing they have is ESPN classics.

Do you know anybody that uses WatchESP.com from Canada. How do they do it?
I was hoping that if I had a friend in the states with cable that has ESPN that perhaps I could get access to WatchESPN.com through them etc....... How does it work.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Anav:

I checked bell aliant and they suck in this regard, the only thing they have is ESPN classics.

AFAIK there are not any Canadian providers that have it, don't blame Bell Aliant.

Q: Can I access WatchESPN internationally?
A: At this time, WatchESPN is only available on U.S. domestic internet and wireless services.

(By internet they include cable too.)

Even if you had the login credentials from a US subscriber you'd also need to use a VPN. Could also land the US subscriber in a heap of trouble with their home provider.

Clemson does stream some sports themselves but not womens' basketball. Guess it's very big money for the school!

-----

I wish I had better news. Maybe someone else will.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
I'd love to get ESPN3 for some various college games. You'd figure with TSN broadcasting five channels of the same crap all at the same time they'd be sourcing some of these other opportunities. Nope, lets pretend we are a diverse broadcaster. If and when we get to pick individual channels TSN will be amongst the first to go! What a waste of bandwidth.

btB
@76.94.192.x

btB

Anon

TSN would need the rights to show NCAA college football games in Canada. Just because there is blank space does not mean they cannot broadcast whatever they want without permission. That permission can only happen when everybody agrees to terms. As usual, I suspect everything comes down money.

As far as Clemson Women's Basketball goes, are you even sure their games will be on ESPN3 this year? According to their 2013 schedule, Clemson was on ESPN3 only 2 times.

»www.clemsontigers.com/Sp ··· SON=2013

Last year, the only Women's team you could basically watch all the games on ESPN3 was UConn.

This year's schedule does not have any tv outlets listed yet.

»www.clemsontigers.com/Sp ··· SON=2014

Since Clemson record last year was 13-19, I am going to guess that most of their games will not be nationally televised. Maybe their Tigercast can get you more games than ESPN3. Although it might not help you regardless, once they update their schedule, that will be the place to find out if the games are even televised anywhere.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig

Premium Member

said by btB :

TSN would need the rights to show NCAA college football games in Canada. Just because there is blank space does not mean they cannot broadcast whatever they want without permission. That permission can only happen when everybody agrees to terms. As usual, I suspect everything comes down money.

I realize they need the rights. So they get the rights to one soccer game and play that on five channels all at the same start time is justifiable? One channel - one game. If they can't afford to purchase more product then why expand? They are a joke!
I follow a few universities in the Big 10 & Big 12 - all state their game times and channel to be found on is ESPN3. Big 10 was carried by Telus. Last year I could catch quite a few of these games that way. This year Telus dropped Big 10 saying there wasn't any viewership to justify the expense of carrying it. So why wouldn't TSN (if they weren't some kind of pseudo sports broadcaster) attempt to cherry pick some of the bigger games of these US college leagues?

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to btB

Premium Member

to btB
Yeat btB thinking Tigercast may be the only avenue. Blows me away that I have money to burn and the USA media-sports industry cannot provide a way to take my money.

btB
@76.94.192.x

btB to Thingamajig

Anon

to Thingamajig
TSN is likely trying to get more content, but the price has to be reasonable to them. It does them no good to have 5 channels showing the same thing. There must be a plan in place to have unique content on each channel. It just takes time to get to that point.

In the U.S., no single entity has the broadcast rights to everybody. Games for virtually every school is scattered among multiple channels. Those individual channels pay hefty fees for contracts to a group of games. I tend to doubt that if the content owners (school/conference) would allow somebody to just take only a game or two. They would want you to take the whole package of games. Hence, the issue is the same as what you described with Telus.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Can I access WatchESPN internationally?
At this time, WatchESPN is only available on U.S. domestic internet and wireless services.

btB
@76.94.192.x

btB

Anon

As already mentioned, you might be able to with somebody's (who subscribes to all those ESPN channels with an American pay tv provider) password. With credentials from a Canadian provider? No, because I do not believe there is a Canadian provider that would have the broadcast rights to all those games shown on ESPN.
btB

btB

Anon

I went through Clemson's conference schedule. I believe they are only on ESPN3 twice. Once on Feb 1 vs. Virginia & again on Feb 19 vs. Florida State. Point is that even with ESPN online access, we are only talking 2 games.

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

thanks, for the info. Yeah they played an exhibition game yesterday at their own court (littlejohn coliseum) and it was not even on the tiger stream. They had some volleyball streamed live though.