spc
Search similar:

uniqs
kcorscadden
join:2007-04-04
Kingston, ON

kcorscadden

[Cable] Cogeco 120 package?

Any ETA on when this package may be available?

On the Cogeco website, it says it's available in my area, but Start still has the max 50 package on their website

Thanks
jmarlatt2
join:2006-09-20
Chatham, ON

jmarlatt2

I think it's to expensive for tpia's to offer. Maybe one day we'll see it.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to kcorscadden

Premium Member

to kcorscadden
We expect to have some more details about this package sometime this month.
astyanax905
join:2012-01-10

astyanax905

I'm also very much looking forward to the new package announcements
docbg
join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON

docbg to kcorscadden

to kcorscadden
I too am looking forward to this package. Unfortunately, no current package can match my grandfathered 30/10/400GB atm. Despite the higher speed, I simply cannot pay more for less usage. I don't need unlimited but 500GB with a higher speed package would suit me just fine.
kcorscadden
join:2007-04-04
Kingston, ON

kcorscadden

said by docbg:

I too am looking forward to this package. Unfortunately, no current package can match my grandfathered 30/10/400GB atm. Despite the higher speed, I simply cannot pay more for less usage. I don't need unlimited but 500GB with a higher speed package would suit me just fine.

I am on the same profile and it has been great, but it's becoming less and less appealing. I pay $56 a month after taxes, but if I were to sign up directly with Cogeco on the 120/10/425GB plan for $65 + tax a month. Is 3-4 times the download speed and the extra 25 GB worth the extra $20 a month..... idk but definitely tempting IMO
docbg
Ancaster, ON

docbg

said by kcorscadden:

said by docbg:

I am on the same profile and it has been great, but it's becoming less and less appealing. I pay $56 a month after taxes, but if I were to sign up directly with Cogeco on the 120/10/425GB plan for $65 + tax a month. Is 3-4 times the download speed and the extra 25 GB worth the extra $20 a month..... idk but definitely tempting IMO

I've had the same logic running through my mind for quite a while. The problem is that the $65 Cogeco price is a 6 month promo with bundling. As I have no other Cogeco services, the promo price would be $75. After 6 months, it goes up to $95. I currently pay $60 before tax (not sure how you pay $56 for the same package after taxes ). Keeping in mind that switching ISPs is a PITA and not something I want to do (again) in 6 months, the real question becomes whether 120/10/425GB is worth an extra $40 (after tax) over 30/10/400GB. A couple of things have kept me where I am:

1. With extra speed should come extra usage. I don't really consider an extra 25GB significant especially in view of #2.
2. Start does not count upstream usage which, depending on your activities, can contribute quite significantly to your overall usage.

In terms of value, I still think the 30/10/400 package holds up. However, as I now download more HD content, I am finding the speed is holding me back and things are taking longer than I'd like. The current 50/10/300 package @ $75 is out for the low usage. A 120 package with decent usage and a reasonable price is what I'm really waiting for. Given Start's recent packages in Cogecoland, I'm not that hopeful. Let's hope Rocca announces something before the end of the month.
profets
join:2010-01-14

profets to kcorscadden

to kcorscadden
I've been patiently waiting all year hoping to hear something about 120. Quite excited to see Rocca mention that we may get details this month.
docbg
Ancaster, ON

docbg to kcorscadden

to kcorscadden
It is almost the end of November and still crickets.
profets

profets

One more week to patiently wait.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to kcorscadden

Premium Member

to kcorscadden
Still working on this, the problem is that we're going to lose money on it so it's a matter of how much we're willing to lose in order to complete the offering. I'm currently at the CRTC hearings and will be significantly tied up with that for the next couple weeks so I may need an extra week or two to have our final decision/plan ready for the 120. Thanks.
profets

profets

Thanks Rocca, appreciate you keeping us updated - I hope you guys can make it happen!
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere to rocca

to rocca
Wow, why would you want to offer something at a loss?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

Still working on this, the problem is that we're going to lose money on it so it's a matter of how much we're willing to lose in order to complete the offering. I'm currently at the CRTC hearings and will be significantly tied up with that for the next couple weeks so I may need an extra week or two to have our final decision/plan ready for the 120. Thanks.

where are the hearings taking place?
jmck

jmck to iamhere

to iamhere
said by iamhere:

my guess is it's not a guaranteed loss for every customer, but the heavier peak users will cause more significant loss than usual and they'll have to balance out if they want to retain customers that might go away and aren't heavy peak users combined with hoping the rates will come down in the near future.
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

Ahh, this makes more sense.

Thanks.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
said by jmck:

where are the hearings taking place?

Usually in Hull/Gatineau, QC, AFAIK

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
Gatineau. We are up at 9 tomorrow, should be on cspan.
docbg
Ancaster, ON

docbg to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

said by iamhere:

my guess is it's not a guaranteed loss for every customer, but the heavier peak users will cause more significant loss than usual and they'll have to balance out if they want to retain customers that might go away and aren't heavy peak users combined with hoping the rates will come down in the near future.

Precisely. It really comes down to averages. Some users will use very little peak data, others will use a lot. Offering the package will help to retain customers who would otherwise leave and the hope is that on average, it will be profitable. The $15 unlimited option relies on the same principle. If everyone were to max their peak data usage, there is no way that option would be sustainable.

I'll wait to see what rocca comes up with for 120. Unfortunately, 30 Mbps is getting a bit long in the tooth these days. Sorry to hear it's going to be another few weeks but I suppose we've waited this long.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34 to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

Gatineau. We are up at 9 tomorrow, should be on cspan.

resa's "CRTC Wholesale hearing" thread in CdnBB...
»CRTC Wholesale hearing
Post your comments there...

Link to live CRTC Wholesale hearing coverage...
»www.cpac.ca/en/direct/cpac2/#
I believe you can also review past proceedings, via links on the right side.

edit1: corrected info on past videos available
docbg
Ancaster, ON

docbg to kcorscadden

to kcorscadden
Hopefully Rocca will give us an early 120 Xmas present this week.