uniqs

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

Gas Prices

Holly Cow! Just ran out and went past the station by my house. $2.85! Wis I had a few 5 gallon cans, I'd do some hording.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3

Last week I went by 2 stations (a Shell and a BP), both had gas at $2.79. Today they were at $2.95.

aight
join:2001-12-18
Lafox, IL

aight to Jon5

to Jon5
I have a picture of my Dad in our brand new 72 Dodge Dart Swinger in a Gas Station.
Price of gas was .36/gal (and this was the Full Service price)
I'm not even going to mention how much a brand new car cost us back then, it will make you sick.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

My aunt owned a 68 or 69 VW bug she bought new. She kept the window sticker. IIRC it was $1800. And I still remember being in the car with my mom in the 70's. She would stop for gas and get $3.00 every time.

My brother bought a 1970 Super Bee that still had the window sticker too. I think it was $2800.

I filled my tank yesterday and it was $38. That was exciting. Which is kind of sad.

Schmackdown
Midwesterner
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
Chicago, IL

Schmackdown to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
wtf I just bought a Leaf a month ago.

gdi
alana
join:2009-10-20
Lake Geneva, WI

alana to Jon5

to Jon5
McHenry over the weekend was $2.42. Last night, most of those same stations were $2.28.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to Jon5

MVM

to Jon5
$ remember $.249/gal back in the late '60s then ayatollah khomeini got involved in the early '70s. Prices shot up, shortages, lines at the pumps, threats of rationing. I'll gladly pay $5/gal not to go through that again.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
Around here is $2.50

bobdog
Kiss me I'm shtfaced
Premium Member
join:2003-03-09
Lake In The Hills, IL

bobdog to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
My stupid daily driver takes premium so I paid $3.04 this morning. I cannot wait until summer when I can drive the 41 year old bug with regular and get the same gas mileage.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Is Premium required, or just recommended? If only recommended, you can usually use regular, but with a small reduction in power (usually just a few HP.)

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to Jon5

Mod

to Jon5
We filled the minivan for about $40 and were happy about it. Crazy world we live in.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
While I like to see the price low I don't really care too much. I go at least a month on a tank so $25-30 on gas isn't going to kill me.
Now the wife's car is a different story. She is filling up for about $40/wk now.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to bobdog

to bobdog
said by bobdog:

My stupid daily driver takes premium so I paid $3.04 this morning. I cannot wait until summer when I can drive the 41 year old bug with regular and get the same gas mileage.

Yeah, same thing here. I want premium under $3/gal.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to bobdog

Premium Member

to bobdog
said by bobdog:

Is this really true? I always thought it was a marketing/collaboration thing.

I haven't owned a "new" car in many years. Mostly because I refuse to buy new anymore. I think it's a ripoff. But I've never put premium in my cars. Even ones that said they needed it and have never had a problem.

My wife insists her Mini must have premium so I only put it in when she's with me. If she's not there I just put in regular and haven't noticed a difference.

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV
·CenturyLink

1 edit

VegasMan

Premium Member

Not saying they will do this but... If you have an engine problem and the car is "required" to have premium then they could void the warranty if found to be using regular. Just like if you use 10w-40 in a car that requires 5w-30. Check this pdf list it does list most of the Coopers from '09-present as required premium.
»static.ed.edmunds-media. ··· 2714.pdf
said by Jon5:

said by bobdog:

Is this really true? I always thought it was a marketing/collaboration thing.

I haven't owned a "new" car in many years. Mostly because I refuse to buy new anymore. I think it's a ripoff. But I've never put premium in my cars. Even ones that said they needed it and have never had a problem.

My wife insists her Mini must have premium so I only put it in when she's with me. If she's not there I just put in regular and haven't noticed a difference.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
$2.29/gallon out in Oswego. Haven't seen that number in quite a few years...

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
»money.cnn.com/2014/12/15 ··· pt=hp_t2

Too bad that isn't us, but I will take the lower gas prices..
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli to Schmackdown

to Schmackdown
said by Schmackdown:

wtf I just bought a Leaf a month ago.

gdi

Thank you.

Any chance you could quick run out and buy a snowblower to help us all out with that also?
whymeintrouble
Premium Member
join:2001-06-20
Naperville, IL

whymeintrouble to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
$1.99 @ Costco in Naperville

aight
Lafox, IL

aight to Jon5

to Jon5
$1.89 @BP on Quentin Road in Kildeer, IL.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

1.79 at Rt 59 Meijer in Aurora

Bulldawg
join:2001-02-14
Harwood Heights, IL

Bulldawg to Jon5

to Jon5
$1.95 Sam's @ Oakton and Mt Prospect
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k to Jon5

to Jon5
1.79 @ Mobil on RT59 & 75th in Napervlile yesterday, but by evening, it went back to 1.87.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

1.79 still at Mobil and Speedway on Aurora Ave. and Ogden in Naperville.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to aight

Premium Member

to aight
Back then --

the 60s -- a new car was around Five large and gas was a law as $0.28 in some places. It was full service, too. Even Clark and Marathon stations gave full service at that price too.

A 6pack of coke in glass bottles was $1.50, Day old bread at Colonial Bakery was ten cents. Chuck Roast was 48 cents. McDonald's drink and fries was 15 cents.

In 1950 and doctor's office call was $5.00. A live birth in 62 with no complications was $500 at the hospital. The doctor's office call in 1982 was $25. Ma Bell was $12 for 1 party unlimited local calling.

There was no minimum wage. Both houses of Congress worked together. Telephone companies and grocers did not gouge customers like they do today, but they were never 100% truthful either..
Expand your moderator at work

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx

Re: Gas Prices

Don't get me started on what Air Travel was like back then.

I've always said I entered aviation 40 years too late.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I was taking trains and flying alone in the 50s. I still don't like planes; motion sickness.

aight
Lafox, IL

aight to Jon5

to Jon5
Is it me or did the price of gas just jumped up 18%? The two places where
I normally gas up by work is now $2.24 ... a couple of weeks ago the price was
$1.89. Are these guys directly hooked up to the CBOE so they know the price of
crude in real time?

Exxon Mobil just released their 4th qtr earnings yesterday and their profit dropped by almost 21%. The poor bastards only made $6.57 BILLION vs $8.35 BILLION last qtr.

WTF!!!!!
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k

said by aight:

Is it me or did the price of gas just jumped up 18%? The two places where
I normally gas up by work is now $2.24 ... a couple of weeks ago the price was
$1.89. Are these guys directly hooked up to the CBOE so they know the price of
crude in real time?

Exxon Mobil just released their 4th qtr earnings yesterday and their profit dropped by almost 21%. The poor bastards only made $6.57 BILLION vs $8.35 BILLION last qtr.

WTF!!!!!

Refinery workers across the country are in contract negotiations and are striking. There goes cheap gas!!

»www.bloomberg.com/news/a ··· nce-1980