Search similar:

uniqs

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Fanless, Low Power Server/Backup Suggestions?

I want to run a PC 24/7 as a backup server, file server, run a few network management apps, etc. I'd prefer something that doesn't need a fan (point of failure) and won't cost a lot to run. I have an old Windows Home Server CD (the old version, Server 2003 based, that does drive spanning) that I may want to run on it, so Windows compatibility would be a good thing.

Anyone have hardware suggestions?

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver

The network management apps you want to run, are they Windows based?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
How many hard disk drives will you be using in the box? Will they be Green drives?
When you say "doesn't need a fan", do you mean case fans only or are you also including CPU/GPU fans? What kind of an environment will this PC/Server be living in?

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

The network management apps you want to run, are they Windows based?

Not necessarily. The box will be used to serve files, stream video to the XBMC running on my RasPi up at the television, also I'd like to use it for backups for the other PCs (four total).
said by aguen:

How many hard disk drives will you be using in the box? Will they be Green drives?

My current ITX box has three hard drives, I don't think any of them are green, totals about 5 TB of space.
said by aguen:

When you say "doesn't need a fan", do you mean case fans only or are you also including CPU/GPU fans? What kind of an environment will this PC/Server be living in?

Yeah, the motherboard stuff (CPU, chipset) would be great if they didn't need a fan. I've spent money on supposedly "good" fans and have them get a noisy bearing after a year or so. Fanless would be good. The box sits in my basement, near my punch down rack, ambient is rarely above 70 F.

janderso1
Jim
MVM
join:2000-04-15
Saint Petersburg, FL

janderso1 to garys_2k

MVM

to garys_2k
If you need more than 2 SATA ports I suggest this MATX motherboard and a PICO power supply.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· orebbr=1

I own one and am happy with it performance.

garys_2k
Premium Member
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

Thanks, that looks good. I'm going to have to open up my current box and see how many drives it has.