spc
Search similar:

uniqs

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

humanfilth

Shaw Internet rate increase, Jan 1 2015

Someones got to pay for all that cord cutting, that does not exist anywhere in the World, says the Cable TV Bosses

»www.shaw.ca/Customer-Bul ··· ustment/

January 2015 Internet Rate Adjustment

Effective January 1, 2015, Shaw is increasing regular monthly rates on all Internet plans to support continued investment in building and supporting the Internet experience you need now and in the future.

Canadians use the Internet more than anyone else in the world. We are doing more than just browsing the web and checking email – we’re conducting business, watching videos and movies, streaming TV shows and talking to our loved ones with video chat. Today the average home has 10 WiFi devices with modern appliances, tablets, phones, and home security all increasing traffic on the network. By 2018, Internet traffic is estimated to triple*.

We’re committed to delivering you the best Internet experience as we grow our hybrid fibre-optic network, in and out of the home, to keep up with your online activities. At Shaw, we love the Internet as much as you do and we know the best is yet to come.

Please know that we are committed to providing you with services and plans that fit your needs and welcome any questions you may have. You will be notified on your invoice of your new monthly rate, 30 days in advance of any changes. If you continue to have any questions, please check your bill online through My Account or connect with our Shaw representatives online through live chat or the Shaw Support Community or by phone at 1-888-279-9114.

*Source: Cisco Systems, “VNI Forecast – Canada Internet Traffic"

Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

Yay,

More money for no reason!!!
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
I agree with your sentiment. When most people cut the cord they keep internet services. A big portion of cable revenue pays for the licensing fees of the channels (ie how much shaw has to pay to retransmit the channel to you). If people keep cutting the cord, they can add a few dollars here and a few dollars there to internet and keep revenue stable.

I've head it's going up $6. I have bb50 + personal tv in a bundle. I think my BB50 is discounted, so it's $75 I pay for bb50, so this would make it $81.

50mbps is pretty sweet, but to stream HD (like Gamecenter Live) 10mbps is more than enough. 25mbps would leave ample overhead. The only downside is if I download a movie (or tv show) off something like iTunes it would take twice as long...

Teksavvy sells 25mbps unlimited DSL for $55 out here. It's getting more tempting to drop cable and go Internet only (cable is the only thing keeping me tethered to shaw). The only sports I can't figure out how to buy/stream online in HD is CFL. NFL can be done, NHL can be done.... you can buy shows you like in HD right from itunes...

Shaw acknowledge the fact that people are using more internet, but they didn't raise the caps... (not they are enforcing them very much right now).. lol.

cpmrich
@71.17.59.x

cpmrich

Anon

yes you can drop cable completely because cfl can be be streamed through tsn.ca and other sports site that offers streaming like boxee or hulu. you don't need to spend more money to Shaw more than what you have to.

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole

Premium Member

said by cpmrich :

yes you can drop cable completely because cfl can be be streamed through tsn.ca and other sports site that offers streaming like boxee or hulu. you don't need to spend more money to Shaw more than what you have to.

TSN only streams to a valid cable subscription now.

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to Doonz

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

Yay,

There is a reason.... Their competitor just did the same thing
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by spock8:

said by Doonz:

Yay,

There is a reason.... Their competitor just did the same thing

Yeah

spock8

spock8

A $7 increase is a little steep. I'm going from $60 to $67 %11 for 25meg stand-alone service. I guess its cheaper than the other competitor who weighs in at $68 stand-alone 25meg

Its like competition but in reverse.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

1 edit

zod5000

said by spock8:

A $7 increase is a little steep. I'm going from $60 to $67 %11 for 25meg stand-alone service. I guess its cheaper than the other competitor who weighs in at $68 stand-alone 25meg

Its like competition but in reverse.

Teksavvy sells unlimited 25mbps for $55 plus the dryloop fee. No caps (allthough shaw is pretty lenient, if I completely cut cable I'd have issues staying under their radar). I'm most likely moving within the next several months, so I might cancel shaw and go this route. Kill cable and go with an unlimited reseller. It sucks none of the resellers offer 50mbps, but 25mbps is still fast enough to stream anything in HD and download a tv show (45 mins) in about 4-5 mins from itunes...

Getting sick of the fee increases...
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame to humanfilth

to humanfilth
Its only understandable, computer processors and memory are getting more expensive every day. Back in the days computers cost only $2,500 or so, look at them now... oh wait, what the hell, a price increase?

spock8

spock8 to zod5000

to zod5000
If only they had TSI cable though. THe only TPIA in Victoria is CIKtel.

cpmrich
@71.17.59.x

cpmrich to zod5000

Anon

to zod5000
good luck with dsl re seller,

hope you cancel Shaw entirely. their rates are getting absurd.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to spock8

to spock8
said by spock8:

I didn't know about CIKtel... that's even better 29.99/month for 25mbps unlimited cable? That's have the price of DSL through teksavvy...
zod5000

zod5000 to cpmrich

to cpmrich
said by cpmrich :

good luck with dsl re seller,

hope you cancel Shaw entirely. their rates are getting absurd.

Thanks I'll probably do it when I move. Setup the the new internal for the house, and cancel the old internet/cable at the apartment.... smooth transition.

Shaw_Friend
@68.148.27.x

Shaw_Friend to cpmrich

Anon

to cpmrich
Nice!

Along with the price increase they're also dropping the additional data usage allowance for the Shaw Friends Program.

Shaw Cable
@204.209.209.x

Shaw Cable

Anon

From time to time, the Shaw Friends benefits change—offers are introduced or discontinued. In an effort to continue delivering to Shaw Friends our most valued benefits, we are focusing on bringing forward exclusive offers like content promotions and event experiences.

Shaw Internet customers who signed up for Shaw Friends before April 1, 2014 received additional monthly data depending on their level of Internet. Moving forward, we will be discontinuing this data benefit plan for Shaw Friends in favour of higher valued benefits.

Shaw Friends currently enjoy:
• One complimentary Shaw On Demand order
• $1.00 off new release HD Shaw On Demand rentals
• Concierge chat
• Annual in-home consultation
• Complimentary distinctive ring
• 15% discount for NHL Center Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket
• Quarterly offers
• Chances to win amazing prizes including trips and concert tickets
• HD Primetime Shaw On Demand

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yeah, Shaw friends used to be higher valued...

Two SOD items,

But at least the life-time warranty was grandfathered... :|
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to humanfilth

to humanfilth
the extra data was the only thing I was using from shaw friends... to be fair it's only an extra 25gb. When you're doing 200 to 400gb over your cap every month, 25gb's seems rather moot... lol.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to humanfilth

to humanfilth
I find what works best is if when bending over you touch your toes. Feels real good

spock8

spock8 to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

said by spock8:

I didn't know about CIKtel... that's even better 29.99/month for 25mbps unlimited cable? That's have the price of DSL through teksavvy...

If you get CIKtel Zod5000 let us know how it is.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by spock8:

If you get CIKtel Zod5000 let us know how it is.

Will do. Still house hunting, so it might be in a while, ditching it during the moving process will probably be as good a time as any.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP to Shaw Cable

to Shaw Cable
Shaw Friends currently enjoy:
One complimentary Shaw On Demand order
I suppose this is useful for some people, although I've never found SoD of any value, to the point that I haven't even used the free movie.

$1.00 off new release HD Shaw On Demand rentals
Ditto the first point.

Concierge chat
Useful if I'm near a computer. Even then I have no way of knowing how much time I'm saving versus not being a Shaw Friend.

Annual in-home consultation
Um, say what? Invite you into my home so you can market your products to me? I hate answering the phone when you call. No way no how would I let a Shaw rep in for anything other than tech service.

Complimentary distinctive ring
I don't have Shaw Phone.

15% discount for NHL Center Ice and NFL Sunday Ticket
Personally I'm not interested in being a subscriber.

Quarterly offers
Have yet to see an offer that is in any way appealing.

Chances to win amazing prizes including trips and concert tickets
Ditto the point above. I'm sure if I found something interesting and won the prize I might think differently. But a "chance to win" something is another way of saying I get nothing.

HD Primetime Shaw On Demand
I have to be a friend to get HD SoD? Again, I don't use it but why wouldn't HD be available for everyone?

Not sure what the value is of an extra 25GB of data but I think for a lot of users it was the biggest seller of the Shaw Friends promotion. I'd point out that of all the Shaw Friends benefits, none are specifically internet-related.

I don't buy the line that Shaw is focusing on "higher valued benefits".

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by ErikRP:

Not sure what the value is of an extra 25GB of data

Yeah, this was my thought too.. How is 25GB significant? If you are on a busy node, you're not going to get that transferred, if on a non-busy node, then they don't care

Shaw_Friend
@68.148.27.x

Shaw_Friend to ErikRP

Anon

to ErikRP
said by ErikRP:

Shaw Friends currently enjoy: ...

Not sure what the value is of an extra 25GB of data but I think for a lot of users it was the biggest seller of the Shaw Friends promotion. I'd point out that of all the Shaw Friends benefits, none are specifically internet-related.

I don't buy the line that Shaw is focusing on "higher valued benefits".

Like you those other benefits are useless to me as well and I'd rather have the extra 50GB of data.

By "higher valued benefits" I think Shaw mean things that don't really cost them anything...

If they do start to charge for going over your cap that 50GB turns into $100 in lost revenue if they charge $2/GB (for example).

JoeKing
@96.48.0.x

JoeKing

Anon

11% increase and all they needed to do is give 30 days notice, that's not cool. I've cancelled with Shaw today and placed the order with Teksavvy. It'll take a few months to payback the modem and activation fee, then i'll be saving $27+tax per month - that'll cover my Netflix & Spotify fees!

cpmrich
@71.17.59.x

cpmrich

Anon

you getting teksavvy dsl or teksavvy cable. how much you be paying. way less than shaw?

JoeKing
@96.48.0.x

JoeKing

Anon

I'm getting Teksavvy cable. In Vancouver, cable will still be delivered using the Shaw network, it's just resold and supported by TekSavvy.

Shaw (as of Jan 1): $67 + tax / month for 250MB

TekSavvy: $39.95 + tax / month for 300MB (unlimited between 2am - 8am). Had to spend $79 upfront for activation fee (which I here goes straight into Shaw's pocket) plus $40 for a modem I found on CL.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP

Not to sound like a complete idiot, but do you mean GB, not MB? Or are you talking speed (i.e. mbps)? Or are you on one of the most restricted plans I've ever heard of?

JoeKing
@96.48.0.x

JoeKing

Anon

Ya, I meant GB, not MB

Speed it 25Mbps

cpmrich
@71.17.59.x

cpmrich to JoeKing

Anon

to JoeKing
why not tek dsl and that is why tek cable you still supporting Shaw cable not tek so yeah 79 fee is much to support to Shaw. sadly it how it is Shaw still making lots of money. hope it goes well.