spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Tyler
join:2010-06-04
North East, PA

Tyler

[Comcast Equip] Motorola HD-DTA Black Screen

I know there were some recent issues with the X1 system, but the issues I have been having were happening far before this weekend. I have one of the Motorola HD-DTA boxes in my bedroom. I don't always watch TV in there, but occasionally I will turn on the news in the morning before work and when I turn the TV on, its just a black screen. The green light is on the front of the DTA, even when I change channels, it shows the channel I switched to and its name, but there is no video or audio.

This only seems to happen when I don't use it for several days. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to reboot the little box as far as I know without unplugging the power cord and plugging it back in. It takes 15 seconds and then viola, everything comes on like normal.

Is this a common issue, or an issue anyone else has ran into?

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

I have the same problem however it only happens with my Vizio HDTV. And it only seems to happen if I just turned the TV off and then turn it back on again with in a few seconds or perhaps a minute or 2. If I wait like maybe 4 or 5 minutes or so I never get the black screen. I use 3 HD DTA's and it's only on the Vizio where I see this very annoying issue. My Toshiba and Coby do not seem to have this issue. So it seems to be some kind of HDMI Handshake issue and I think the only fix for this will be to change you TV set. My Vizio is an older 20" inch I have in my kitchen and I checked and there are no firmware updates for it so unless Comcast has a update for the HD DTA box this will not be fixed without using a different TV. I also even tried a HDMI Switcher and that also did not fix the issue.

When this happens I just need to unplug and replugug the HD DTA box.

Tyler
join:2010-06-04
North East, PA

Tyler

I haven't tried turning the TV off and back on again, but I'll certainly try it. My TV is an Insignia (best buy brand). I never had this issue when I had the dish joey attached to this tv, which is also hdmi.