Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to quemazon

Premium Member

to quemazon

Re: [Equipment] Sprint Prepaid - LG Smartphone as a SIP WiFi Phone

said by quemazon :

I use the CSIPsimple app which is generally regarded as the best android SIP client. I have also used Google Voice and Facebook messenger for voice calling. They all work reasonably well as long a the Wifi is good.

I am interested in your settings on using facebook messenger for voice calling. Can you please elaborate here on how you configure your system to achieve this?

quemazon
@97.123.28.x

quemazon

Anon

You have to install the facebook messenger app (which they attempted to force on everyone a while back). In the messenger app, when you select a contact, there is a phone symbol at the top. Just click on that, and it will place the call. Come to think of it, though, that my be strictly mobile to mobile.

I mostly use the google hangouts option, which can definitely may regular phone calls. You have to update hangouts, then install the hangouts dialer app (all official google apps).

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

I am interested in your settings on using facebook messenger for voice calling. Can you please elaborate here on how you configure your system to achieve this?

»www.androidcentral.com/f ··· -calling
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to quemazon

Premium Member

to quemazon
said by quemazon :

You have to install the facebook messenger app (which they attempted to force on everyone a while back). In the messenger app, when you select a contact, there is a phone symbol at the top. Just click on that, and it will place the call. Come to think of it, though, that my be strictly mobile to mobile.

You are probably right. Thanks.

quemazon
@97.123.28.x

quemazon to mazilo

Anon

to mazilo
If you are thinking about purchasing an android phone for VOIP, here is a cheap option:

»www.target.com/p/brights ··· 16599233

Around this time of year, you can often find them for $10. It's crazy.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by quemazon :

If you are thinking about purchasing an android phone for VOIP, here is a cheap option:

»www.target.com/p/brights ··· 16599233

Around this time of year, you can often find them for $10. It's crazy.

For a dual-core CPU clocked @1.2GHz under US $10 (just need to get it rooted first), it is not a bad choice at all. Thanks.
QBZappy
join:2012-05-10

QBZappy

said by mazilo:

For a dual-core CPU clocked @1.2GHz under US $10 (just need to get it rooted first), it is not a bad choice at all. Thanks.

I recently rooted a ZTE phone and a no name tablet using »www.kingoapp.com/android ··· root.htm . It was by far the easiest way I have rooted an android device. You may consider using it.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by QBZappy:

said by mazilo:

I recently rooted a ZTE phone and a no name tablet using »www.kingoapp.com/android ··· root.htm . It was by far the easiest way I have rooted an android device. You may consider using it.

Thanks.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to quemazon

to quemazon
Many thanks for the link, quemazon. (One can't give kudos to an anonymous member.)

I'm traveling and bought one at a Target in La Quinta, CA. The salesman said that I needed to buy a $35 refill to make it work, but I replied that it was a small gift and the recipient would have to buy service; he sold the phone alone. He said that the sale ends Saturday.

The bad news: a moderate attempt at rooting, including Kingoapp, failed. No evidence of anyone having unlocked it, either.

The good news: There is no activation dialog nor even a nag screen. Just fire it up with no SIM card and it's a poor man's iPod Touch / tiny tablet.

Both CSipSimple and Hangouts Dialer installed with no trouble. Inbound voice quality is quite good. Outbound is not great if you hold the phone normally -- the mic at the far left on the bottom muffles the sound. However, if you rotate the phone so the mic is across from your mouth, it sounds fine. No trouble with making or receiving calls with either app.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro

Is there a model number rather than the code name "zinger" ? DC unlocker (»www.dc-unlocker.com/supp ··· e_phones) can unlock some ZTE phones, perhaps it can unlock this one too. I've used it in the past with success for unlocking USB 3G sticks.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

I'm a big fan of unlocking, but from Stewart's observations the Zinger needn't be unlocked to fulfill the OP's primary purpose: to use it as a SIP phone extension.

I also did a little poking around and according to the guy who writes the Prepaid Phone News blog, one can drop a T-Mobile SIM in the Zinger without unlocking. So, that's a possible flexible plus in terms of using the phone with cellular service even though locked...
hwittenb
join:2003-12-20

hwittenb

The ZTE Zinger is a good buy for $9.99. The problem is finding one. You need to locate a Target store that has one in stock and go there and hope that the Target web page was accurate. Apparently there is some store restocking after it shows "out of stock".

I bought one. I can also confirm it will run CSipSimple without installing a sim card, running CSipSimple over your local wifi network without rooting the phone.

Model Z667T
Android Version 4.4.2

It comes with a BrightSpot micro sim card that you can optionally activate following the enclosed instructions if you wish. The package also has a user guide and a charger for the enclosed battery.

As you know BrightSpot is an MVNO that uses the T-Mobile network and is a subsidiary of Target. The box prominently says "This phone is only compatible with brightspot". In the fine print on the back of the box it says for device unlocking information go to
»support.brightspotmobile ··· ing.html
which says you can get unlocking instructions if you have spent at least $80 with Brightspot and met other requirements.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

Just a bit OT.

I did some searches on Walmart and found this 7" RCA tablet (4-core 1.4 GHz 1GB RAM 8GB storage) under US$40 (order online and pick up locally with a returnable only from the 48 contiguous states policy). The specs look good to me. However, I did some Google searches and found most reviews are not that good and mostly related to excessive heat (IIRC, some reviews on a Linksys PAP2v1, Seagate Dockstar, etc., also have this issue, and I have yet to encounter such an issue with mine), problems with battery, and flaky USB charging port. I am not fond of any electronic devices carries an RCA brand. However, coupled with a bluetooth headset, I believe this 7" tablet can be used as a WiFi SIP phone as well as a WiFi videophone. I wonder if anyone out here has used this tablet.

NoNo
@108.12.182.x

NoNo to hwittenb

Anon

to hwittenb
I was able to find a Zinger for $9.99 at the local Target and can confirm I was able to successfully load CSipsimple on it and connect to a PBX as well as load and connect to Skype. This thing has bluetooth which connected to my headset easily. Tried a Lyca-mobile (another T-Mobile MVNO) SIM and when inserted, the phone asked for a SIM unlock code so that didn't work unfortunately. The screen is tiny and course and I had to set it to full brightness for my old eyes to see it. Don't forget you can load the Hangouts client as well as the Ring.to to get free CONUS wifi phone service.

This along with the Basic Talk ATA are the cheapest ways by far to get on SIP. I don't even think you can find POTS phones this cheap any more. Cool.
hwittenb

hwittenb

No No
Interesting information about Lyca-mobile and Skype. Can you somehow do a video call with skype? It has a camera on the back.

NoNo
@108.12.182.x

1 recommendation

NoNo

Anon

said by hwittenb:

Can you somehow do a video call with skype?

Yes, you can. I was also impressed by the audio to the echo test on Skype.

Believe it or not, the phone has a built in SIP client already. If you go into phone settings, you will find a section named "Internet Calling". I've never seen that before in an Android phone. Does Brightspot have this ability? Don't know.

I was also able to connect the Zinger to Asterisk via chan_mobile and create an outgoing trunk that used Ring.to (via GrooveIP). I can't get incoming to ring the Asterisk extensions but I've probably got something wrong in my extensions_custom.conf. I'll try to sort that out.

I tell you, I have a feeling there will be more of these types of deals coming up. If the LG Tribute for T-Mobile goes on sale for similar amount, I would jump on it. These things not only make great SIP clients, they also make inexpensive trunks if you can connect to them via chan_mobile on Asterisk or an ObiBT on an Obi200 series or even to your POTS via an X-Link BTTN device. Lot's of possibilities here.
hwittenb

1 edit

hwittenb

said by NoNo :

Believe it or not, the phone has a built in SIP client already. If you go into phone settings, you will find a section named "Internet Calling".

Thanks. Checked it out. I setup callwithus (cws) on the built-in SIP client. It works.

There is a setting on the phone settings you need to make under "Call Settings"
"Use Internet calling For all calls when data network is available"

When you then try calling using the regular phone on the cell phone you get a choice, CSipSimple or Mobile Network. If you pick Mobile Network it makes a sip call thru cws.

I don't have a sim card installed in the phone.

Edit: Looks like the ZTE Zinger's price at Target is back up to $39.99.

NoNo
@108.12.182.x

NoNo

Anon

Lots of interesting deals coming up, see this page for all the pre-paid phone deals on Black Friday at both b&m and the interwebs:

»www.prepaidphonenews.com ··· ker.html

My goal is to find a quad-core with at least a 800x480 IPS screen, a VGA or better front facing camera, micro-sd, BT, Miracast and KitKat on GSM....for $25.00 or less. This would make a perfect tablet substitute for communication and entertainment duty around the domicile.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

4 edits

mazilo

Premium Member

Currently, BestBuy has a 4.7" Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 510 4G No-Contract Cell Phone for US$99.99 - US$70 coupon/promo code (DESIRE510DEAL) = US$29.99 (with FREE S/H) on sale (Phone activation required before use. Carrier activation fees may apply). The promo code can be entered after a checkout. It is a 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 processor quad-core with 1/4 GB RAM/Storage. What I don't see is the mention of a support for WiFi which is what I am looking for (to use @Home as a WiFi IP Phone configured as an extension to my PBX). Can anyone confirm this smartphone has a support for WiFi? If it does have a support for WiFi, I think it is not a bad deal at all. The reviews on Amazon is not that great. I suspected those reviews took into consideration of the hefty price and not US $29.99. What do you all think?

UPDATE 1: This site (GSM Arena) reports that this device has a support for WLAN (WiFI LAN?). It also mentions the CPU is a Snapdragon 410 (EU model) (400 (US model)) that supports both 32/64-bit instruction sets (64-bit ONLY on 410).

UPDATE 2: NO FLASHLIGHT!
hwittenb

2 edits

hwittenb

Here's the specs from HTC
»www.htc.com/us/smartphon ··· ire-510/

It is running Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat). That's the same OS that the ZTE phone discussed above was running. This phone is a better phone, though, with a faster processor, bigger better display, better camera, also has front camera.

Looking at VirginMobile plans it looks like it will run wifi OK without a plan after activation. Their cheapest plan is $20/month for phone/text only and says "Wi-Fi Lovers Delight" which I would take to mean you need to use wifi to get data.
»www.virginmobileusa.com/ ··· verview/

Edit: So far as the ZTE phone goes, I must say I haven't broken the code on how to set it up to be always ready to accept incoming calls from the wifi network. It will always make outgoing calls. It will ring for an incoming call for a short period of time after the phone has been used for an outgoing call but then it times out and will not ring after that period. It is probably different if you have the phone setup on the cell phone network. I have tried it with both CSipSimple and with the native sip support in the phone. They both work the same.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by hwittenb:

Looking at VirginMobile plans it looks like it will run wifi OK without a plan after activation.

That will probably be a problem for me because I will ONLY use it with my own WiFi sans activation.
hwittenb

hwittenb

Maybe it will work without activation. You said something about activation in your initial posting. The ZTE phone I bought would work without activation, however it was marketed for a different network.

NoNo
@108.12.182.x

NoNo to hwittenb

Anon

to hwittenb
said by hwittenb:

It will always make outgoing calls. It will ring for an incoming call for a short period

Sounds consistent with my experience. I couldn't get Asterisk to see the inbound SIP calls (CSip, GrooveIP or Skype) to the Zinger when connected as a trunk via bluetooth. Outbound worked fine, the only thing is I needed to choose which "trunk" to use. Another weird behavior, when paired with a BT headset and receiving an incoming call both the headset AND the handset would ring; usually it's one or the other.

I'm gonna try it in my car paired to my built in BT car kit and see how it behaves running on a portable hotspot. That might work better.

In light of my use of the Zinger in an unintended way, I'm not complaining for $10.
I wonder though if a slightly more expensive phone might work the way I want it to.
hwittenb

2 edits

hwittenb

said by NoNo :

Sounds consistent with my experience. I couldn't get Asterisk to see the inbound SIP calls (CSip, GrooveIP or Skype) to the Zinger when connected as a trunk via bluetooth. Outbound worked fine, the only thing is I needed to choose which "trunk" to use.

I've got the ZTE Zinger now where just some part of the phone "goes to sleep" for incoming calls using CSipSimple or the native sip support. If you let it ring long enough it will "wake up" and the phone will ring and then it will be OK for a subsequent call or calls. That really isn't satisfactory for use for incoming calls.

I just installed Zoiper and my initial impression is that sip client is going to work better for incoming calls, although its not perfect. Looks like you can inadvertantly disable it.

Edit: Zoiper does not "go to sleep". It has a setting "Stay awake." They say "This option allows incoming calls in background mode. Using this option with UDP accounts will drain your batteries and is not recommended. Use TCP where possible".
hwittenb

hwittenb to mazilo

to mazilo
said by mazilo:

said by hwittenb:

Looking at VirginMobile plans it looks like it will run wifi OK without a plan after activation.

That will probably be a problem for me because I will ONLY use it with my own WiFi sans activation.

This thread says you can use the Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 510 with WiFi without activation when the phone is sold without a contract
»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· tivation
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by hwittenb:

said by mazilo:

said by hwittenb:

This thread says you can use the Virgin Mobile HTC Desire 510 with WiFi without activation when the phone is sold without a contract
»www.howardforums.com/sho ··· tivation

Thank you for the link.

NoNo
@108.12.182.x

NoNo to NoNo

Anon

to NoNo
said by NoNo :

My goal is to find a quad-core with at least a 800x480 IPS screen, a VGA or better front facing camera, micro-sd, BT, Miracast and KitKat on GSM....for $25.00 or less. This would make a perfect tablet substitute for communication and entertainment duty around the domicile.

Well I found my phone but truth be told I can't afford it. If you can find one of these, it should be a perfect SIP house phone: »www.target.com/p/virgin- ··· ro+phone. I just left my local Target (which is open tonight, Thanksgiving) and they have a few in stock.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by NoNo :

said by NoNo :

Well I found my phone but truth be told I can't afford it. If you can find one of these, it should be a perfect SIP house phone: »www.target.com/p/virgin- ··· ro+phone. I just left my local Target (which is open tonight, Thanksgiving) and they have a few in stock.

So far, this is the 2nd 4-core smartphone under US $30 we listed here.
QBZappy
join:2012-05-10

QBZappy

All this talk of cheap Android phones sparked an interest in getting my hands on some inexpensive android phones. I went to Vermont on Saturday to the local Target and picked up a Virgin Mobile Kyocera Hyrdo Vibe ($29.99) and a T-Mobile Alcatel Onetouch Fierce ($38.88). Black Friday prices were still available. To date I worked on my T-Mobile unit and have already activated, rooted (using Kingo Root »www.kingoapp.com/ ), and unlocked the phone. It seems for anyone using the phone outside the USA you can request a free unlock code for a T-Mobile phone directly from T-Mobile without any need of using those other unlocking services. I have read confirmations that T-Mobile phones (GSM at least) will work on Rogers/Chatr in Canada and other Canadian GSM providers, once unlocked. In fact the kind T-Mobile customer Service rep suggested that I use Rogers, implying that it will work on their network.

There is a good chance that the Virgin Mobile Kyocera Hyrdo Vibe can work on Telus/Public Mobile since they are also CDMA with the same frequencies (I think). I will be setting that one up this week when I find time. I upgraded the firmware to 4.4 KitKat before trying to root the phone. It seems that 4.4 has not been rooted yet. 4.2 prior version is rootable.

Both models seem to have decent specs. No comments yet on day to day use other than I installed both Skype and Csipsimple (sip client to my office PBX) and called from Vermont to Montreal. Csipsimple was by far the better of the two. Call was crystal clear with no lag. OTOH Skype call laggy.

I think both units make excellent wifi voip phones. In addition, I can even check in on my networked cameras using these phones.
bw5745
join:2014-03-14

bw5745

If the Alcatel supports HSPA on 850, 1900 and AWS, it will work with all Canadian carriers.

Can someone confirm the details for Sprint/Virgin Mobile USA? If they are running on CDMA One and EV-DO on 1900, the Kyocera could roam on the old Bell/Telus network. Bell and Telus have not sold CDMA phones for many years, switching to HSPA in anticipation of the iPhone 4. In any case, CDMA providers do not activate phones that they did not sell themselves.