All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Papageno
join:2011-01-26
Portland, OR

Papageno

[HD] Do HD versions of channels come with Digital Economy tier?

I'm in Portland, Oregon in case it makes a difference. My thinking is that one should be able to get the HD versions of whatever channels one subscribes to--HD shouldn't be "held hostage" behind a higher-priced tier with a bunch of channels one never watches (like the ESPNs in my case).

More data: I have a Tivo Premiere DVR with Cable Card--not using a Comcast set-top box. I'm also a Comcast internet customer, and have the Blast! tier.
logger
join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY

logger

Comcast appears to not have a company-wide policy. What follows is correct to the best of my knowledge, but may not be correct for your local Comcast system.

If you were using a Comcast set-top box, you would have to pay a HD technology fee of about $10 per month. (Subscribers to a tier with HD in its name would not pay the additional fee.) That would get you a HD cable box, instead of an SD one, and the cable box would be authorization to receive the HD channel.

With a Cable Card, it appears to depend on the local system. Some posts in this forum indicate that the HD technology fee is not charged. It depends on whether you local system uses different authorizations for a Cable Card in your own device and a Comcast set-top box.
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper to Papageno

Premium Member

to Papageno
Find the number for the national service center here in Denver. They should be able to get you going. The folks here are the most experienced with cable cards and rate codes. As logger See Profile mentioned it is likely just paying $10 more a month to get you going.
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno

Thanks for the replies. I currently subscribe to Digital Starter, and that comes with HD, although I may have a line item for "HD technology fee" on my bill.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by Papageno:

I currently subscribe to Digital Starter, and that comes with HD

Are you 100% sure; on most CC systems, DS does NOT automatically include HD channels (it sure doesn't on ours...) - hence probably why you're paying the HD tech fee now.
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno

You're probably right that I have to pay an extra fee (I'll confirm it on my bill). What I meant was that HD is accessible at that tier--they don't tell you "Nope, you have to go to a higher priced tier to have access to it" (which is what they told me when I asked about HD with Digital Economy years ago--end of 2010).
It's just nonsense if they're still "gating" it that way. HD is the new standard, and SD is for those people that just haven't gotten newer equipment.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by Papageno:

It's just nonsense if they're still "gating" it that way. HD is the new standard

I don't disagree with this; unfortunately, in my area, 2 out of the 3 "CC TV competitors" (U-verse & DirecTV) ALSO charge these BS HD (access) fees...but DISH Network just did an "about face" on their (new) HD fee & announced effective 11/6, they will no longer charge an HD fee (as long as you sign up for autopay & paperless billing)...
logger
Carmel, NY

logger to Papageno

to Papageno
said by Papageno:

You're probably right that I have to pay an extra fee (I'll confirm it on my bill). What I meant was that HD is accessible at that tier--they don't tell you "Nope, you have to go to a higher priced tier to have access to it" (which is what they told me when I asked about HD with Digital Economy years ago--end of 2010).

I was a Digital Economy subscriber from near the end of 2010 to near the end of 2011. I paid the HD Technology Fee and my Comcast cable box was able to tune to the HD version of the channels that were part of Digital Economy. Not all the channels, such as TV Land, had a HD version.

It is likely the case that HD is not available for the Family Tier. Someone who wants those channels in HD likely has to go to a higher tier and pay the HD Technology Fee.
Papageno
Portland, OR

Papageno

Well, that's good to hear, but I don't use the Comcast box (I've got a Tivo Premiere instead, and use a CableCard, much to CC's chagrin, no doubt).

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to Papageno

to Papageno
As far as i know the only tv tier that does not have to pay the HD tech fee is limited basic with the HD DTA box. And that might even vary by market. Comcast is very clever about making extra revenue.
logger
Carmel, NY

logger to Papageno

to Papageno
said by Papageno:

Well, that's good to hear, but I don't use the Comcast box (I've got a Tivo Premiere instead, and use a CableCard, much to CC's chagrin, no doubt).

Ideally, there should be no difference to Comcast between authorizing a cable card in a subscriber owned device and a cable card in a Comcast owned cable box. (Because a DTA doesn't use a cable card, it is a slightly different matter.) However, the experiences that I had when I was a Comcast customer were far from ideal.

Comcast should not be too chagrined. CableCARD credits reduce their revenue, but providing a CableCARD instead of a cable box reduces their costs.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Jim721

to Jim721
also I think limited basic with a full cable box is $1.50 mo.

Now if you have limited basic + hbo then what is the HD fee?
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to Papageno

to Papageno
said by Papageno:

You'll get all the HD channels on your tier with a card, the only question is whether they try to stick you with the BS HD tech fee even if you don't have their boxes. We don't have it here in the ATL, and if you do get charged for it I would fight to get it removed. Most likely you'll still get all the HD channels even if it's taken off, but YMMV.
Hooper
Premium Member
join:2001-10-22
Castle Rock, CO

Hooper to Joe12345678

Premium Member

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

also I think limited basic with a full cable box is $1.50 mo.

Now if you have limited basic + hbo then what is the HD fee?

No fee. This is the Internet Plus plan essentially.