All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bingle
join:2002-09-03
Orlando, FL

bingle

[Internet] Getting Lightning 60 Installed Friday - Any Setup Advice?

I am leaving the dark ages of DSL behind and having Lightning 60 installed on Friday!

I've prepared for this momentous occasion by purchasing an Asus RT-N56U wireless router and an Asus GX-D1051 Gig switch to replace my (aging but still functional) Linksys WRT54G and Linksys 5 port switch. The plan is to leave everything in place on the existing Linksys gear hooked up to the DSL and migrate over a device at a time after the install.

So, I'd like to get the new Asus gear all pre-configured and ready to go so that when the installation happens on Friday I can connect the RT-N56U to the shiny new Brighthouse modem and make sure that everything (wired and wireless) is working on my Macbook before I let the installer go.

Is there any step-by-step instructions/guide to pre-configuring the RT-N56U? Anything I should make sure to tell the installer re: setup on the modem? I'm not trying to do anything complicated/fancy (yet).

Thanks,

-- Rich

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC

The installer needs to make sure you're online with your Macbook via an ethernet cable. They should provide the master email account login info. You'll need to do the work for setting up the router, I don't know if the installer will help you.

The Asus router will work out of the box, nothing really needs to be done to it. You could set up the passwords and wifi. Connect the Macbook to one of the lan ports, power up the router, once the router has booted, power up the Macbook and login into the router. Change the login password and setup the wifi encryption & SSID. The Macbook should be able to connect to the Asus wifi and be able to log into the router.

Hooking up the router is almost "plug and play" once the installer is done.
Power off the modem and Macbook, connect the router to the modem and the Macbook, power up router and once booted, boot the Macbook, power up the modem and the router should connect once the modem has booted.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel to bingle

to bingle
Make sure the installer knows you're bringing your own router. The BHN modem will need to be put into bridge mode.

As far as pre-configuring the RT-N56U...not sure what you'd be thinking about doing prior to the install.... You should just plug the modem to WAN and a wired device to a LAN and be good to go. I wouldn't bother setting up wireless until after the install.

The BHN tech might even hook up your router for you with the modem.
said by bingle:

shiny new Brighthouse modem

BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to bingle

Premium Member

to bingle
said by bingle:

I am leaving the dark ages of DSL behind and having Lightning 60 installed on Friday!

I've prepared for this momentous occasion by purchasing an Asus RT-N56U wireless router and an Asus GX-D1051 Gig switch to replace my (aging but still functional) Linksys WRT54G and Linksys 5 port switch. The plan is to leave everything in place on the existing Linksys gear hooked up to the DSL and migrate over a device at a time after the install.

So, I'd like to get the new Asus gear all pre-configured and ready to go so that when the installation happens on Friday I can connect the RT-N56U to the shiny new Brighthouse modem and make sure that everything (wired and wireless) is working on my Macbook before I let the installer go.

Is there any step-by-step instructions/guide to pre-configuring the RT-N56U? Anything I should make sure to tell the installer re: setup on the modem? I'm not trying to do anything complicated/fancy (yet).

Thanks,

-- Rich

Please get with me in direct and I will arrange to have a Moto 6141 bridge modem delivered.
NorasRage
join:2014-11-02
Orlando, FL

NorasRage to bingle

to bingle
First of I would look to see what your wireless spectrum looks like, if you have an android phone download wifi analyzer from farproc its on the google play store. Find out what channels are the least congested, if you want to look more into wifi you can check this site out »www.metageek.net/support ··· -and-11/ ..

I would recommend depending on your house configuration to place the modem and router in the middle Highest point of your house. If you have a big house(Over 2500 sq ft), Bright House Echo is a good scalable service that uses MoCa and dedicated access points to eliminate Wireless dead zones. If you go with Echo, the Technician will direct you where the best location of install should be. Think of it like an umbrella its best to have the modem on one side of the house and an Access point on the other blanketing the whole home.

If it is available try and get a modem only if you are going to use your own Router. If you go with Echo you will get a TG1672 or ADG1670 which are both really good daul band gateway/modems.

First Test Once installed you are going to want to run is Ethernet Based, you will want to see 55mbps+ from speedtest.bhn.net Make sure the test goes to Orlando or Tampa. Speed increases are going to happen soon so 60 will go to 75 in that case you will want to see right around 75 when connected direct.

If you get the speeds hard wired at that point Bright House has done their part, if you have wireless issues at that point its on you because you are using your own router.

On the 2.4 Ghz you can expect 30-50 mbps within 20 feet of the router
On the 2.4 Ghz you can expect 10-20 mbps within 60 feet of the router

On the 5 Ghz you can expect 60+ mbps within 15 feet of router
On the 5 Ghz you can expect 35+ mbps within 40 feet of router
On the 5 Ghz you can expect 20-30 mbps within 60 feet of router

These are just some numbers I would expect based off the router you mentioned. There are many High end routers that will push 300 mbps true throughput . The closer you are to the router the better. Avoid Metal Enclosures, Exterior walls. Wi-fi has to go through things, so every wall it goes through the signal degrades. If you have gamers in the house Echo is a good option, it allows for Hard Wired speeds and stability through the Access Points.
bingle
join:2002-09-03
Orlando, FL

bingle

Click for full size
What do I do with all this speed????

Bye-bye DSL... don't let the door hit you on the way out!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to bingle

Premium Member

to bingle
said by bingle:

Bye-bye DSL... don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Let's allow the door to hit them just once for fun