In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

[WIN8] Searching within Win8

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of a better way to do a search within Win8 64bit that will allow me to find the most recent file that was either updated or newly saved? Last night I wrote a couple documents and I thought I saved them in a particular location, but I am not finding them. They could be on a local drive, or possibly on one of my cloud drives, but I can't seem to find them and I don't find Windows Search to be very reliable.

Perhaps there is a great free third party utility or some unknown search app within Windows other then the default search? It's a long shot I know, but I figured I would ask.

Thanks!

John
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· explorer
quote:
You can search for a file based on properties such as the date it was last modified, its size, or what kind of file it is (such as "Picture"). After you enter your search term, tap or click the Search Tools tab and use the options in the Refine group, and then enter your search terms in the search box. For example, if you want to search for files you modified this week, tap or click Date modified, and then tap or click This week.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind···explorer

Hey Blitz, my problem is that I tried using the default search and it was less then helpful. That's why I was wondering if there was something other then the default Windows Search. I have never had much luck using the Windows search, hence my post. I do appreciate your reply, but it's exactly what I was hoping not to use lol

Thanks a bunch!:)
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It may not make a difference, especially if they are on a cloud account, but in your folder options are you showing hidden files and folders?

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

said by BlitzenZeus:

in your folder options are you showing hidden files and folders?

Yes, I always have this turned on because as the network admin, I am constantly modifying the host files which is a hidden file. So as long as I can see that, I know that 'show hidden files and folders' is on.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to rescue85

to rescue85
I installed this on my sons windows 8 and it does what windows 7 start menu does making it easy to find stuff on his laptop.
»www.iobit.com/iobitstart ··· enu8.php
And even turning off the laptop is faster.
jupitermoon
join:2011-09-27

jupitermoon to rescue85

to rescue85
Have you looked in Recent Items in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows?

If this is helpful, you can right-click the Recent Items icon and pin it to the Start menu to access it faster.

Another way to get to this list is to open the Run box (Win key + R), type shell:recent and press Enter.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85 to what the

Premium Member

to what the
Hey what the See Profile! I don't think I can install that on my laptop sadly because I already have Classic Shell installed, but the search just ties into the default search, but I will look into this and see if it's better then Classic Shell, and if so, maybe it's worth a switch Thanks for the tip!!
said by jupitermoon:

Another way to get to this list is to open the Run box (Win key + R), type shell:recent and press Enter.

AHHHA!! There we go! I knew there was something missing! There we go, found the documents hidden right there! Thanks jupitermoon See Profile! I don't know why I didn't think about looking there in the first place, though I will say, you taught me something. I never knew you could run shell apps by using shell: That is handy! Thank you very much!

I guess for now, all is solved! Thanks guys!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Click for full size
I haven't used Windows search since XP. It was excellent on that OS. On Vista it was a disaster and even a Microsoft tech recommended in his blog that everyone install Agent Ransack and use it. I've used it exclusively ever since. It's great and it is free. (I realize jupitermoon See Profile told you how to find the most recent documents saved, but I thought you might like a far better search app than builtin Windows search which was no better on Win 7 or 8 and is still poor on Win 10 Preview).

»www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I thought you might like a far better search app than builtin Windows

Ohhh! Now I am excited! Thanks Mele20 See Profile!! I honestly can't wait to check this out! This sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Yes, the 'shell=recent' is very very useful and I am sad that they no longer include it to be easily found like they did in previous Win versions, but for all around searching and searching like what I was looking for , had it not been in recent, such as from running things like CCleaner etc, I would have still needed something else, and it sounds like you just gave me the "else"! lol

Thanks again!

John

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 edit

therube to rescue85

to rescue85
> find the most recent file that was either updated or newly saved?

Everything Search Engine, use the search term "rc:today" & sort by the Date Modified column (if necessary).

rc:<date> Search for files and folders with the specified recently changed date.

(It doesn't get any better or faster then that. Well except for the next version of Everything ;-).)

Here, watch files being created, deleted, in real time, »drive.google.com/file/d/ ··· cWc/view.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to rescue85

Premium Member

to rescue85
said by rescue85:

Does anyone know of a better way to do a search within Win8 64bit that will allow me to find the most recent file that was either updated or newly saved?

Welcome to your new perpetual honeymoon.
»www.filesearchy.com/

Edit - I didn't even know there was a "pro" version.